More upgrades have officially started inside Neyland

I would think it’s probably because this already in the budget to start this year.
I suppose, it just seems they are slow rolling any real discussion about LNS
It's my opinion they throw some Band-Aids and paint at LNS for a couple of years until the Boyd ballfield is completed.
But I digress, this is another Neyland upgrade thread so I'll step down from my soap box.

Reactions: cobbwebb0710
@DeerPark12 hope all is well

Any info on what the new ”capacity” will be? Or how many total seats are being removed? Also, do you know what work will be done in Phases II & III of the renovations? TIA

Reactions: Neyland Law Vol
Well while I was there, East Stadium Hall was where biology classes were held. And I had seen signs for South Stadium Hall, where biology labs were done. Now I do not know if there were ever dorm rooms in the West portion. And I am sure you are aware that there was no North portion of the stadium until the late 80s or early 90s.

There definitely were no students living within the stadium when I was there. And to be honest? It was creepy enough to take a class in there. I could never envision what it was like when people lived within it.

When I was a grad student in Anthropology during the early '90s, our offices were in South Stadium Hall. Our classes also were held there, as well as East Stadium Hall and McClung Museum.

Premium seating, and lounge areas on the East/West sides. They will also add a party deck with restaurant and bar with a new jumbotron on one east/west side upper deck.

Heartbreaking. Decibal level will decrease with removal the bleachers for the woke and comfortable attendees.

This sucks that was one of the oldest parts of the stadium. There goes so much history
It's overdue progress towards modernizing Neyland. I understand being an old fart who gets sentimental over major changes. I'm one myself. It brought tears to my eyes when Morrill Hall was demolished 2 years ago ...

... but you can't live in the past. These changes are for the best.

It's overdue progress towards modernizing Neyland. I understand being an old fart who gets sentimental over major changes. I'm one myself. It brought tears to my eyes when Morrill Hall was demolished 2 years ago ...

It’s not just the memories it’s atmosphere and noise. Both those things are going to be ruined for money

Section X had the old weight room for the football,track,bb,and other teams until stokley opened in Jan. 67.Dec. would be cool to cold lifting in Section X.

Reactions: 87&91ALUM
I was a student in 1976. Took biology in Neyland and yes, there were some dorms in there. Awesome to be able to stop and watch practice while on my way to class. I was also able to watch basketball practice in the old gym just outside the north gate. Never forget walking into class and hearing Lynyrd Skynyrd’s plane crashed the night before. I met them backstage 21 May, 1977 at the Knoxville Civic Coliseum. A little trivia.

I had the seats while a VASF member. They can move them around if customer drops/adds season tickets. Chair rental comes in time to be moved for next season. Worked pretty well if I remember correctly.

I was a student in 1976. Took biology in Neyland and yes, there were some dorms in there. Awesome to be able to stop and watch practice while on my way to class. I was also able to watch basketball practice in the old gym just outside the north gate. Never forget walking into class and hearing Lynyrd Skynyrd’s plane crashed the night before. I met them backstage 21 May, 1977 at the Knoxville Civic Coliseum. A little trivia.
I got a question alum that is none of my damn business but you seem to have a good cents of humor so here goes . You were a student in ‘76 and with the screen name 87&91alum I’m assuming you received your 1st degree in’87 followed by another in ‘91.

Were you on the old 9year plan brother 😁?

I had a dorm room in South Neyland in 1969. They were the cheaper / cheapest dorm rooms, old, high ceilings but kept clean and I made a lot of good friends there. In the winter when you walked down the hall to the bathrooms, you would leave footprints on the floor from the cold air underneath.

Reactions: murfvol1

Wait, Morrill Hall is demolished? Next thing you'll tell me is that Andy Holt is gone too! HA

@DeerPark12 hope all is well

Any info on what the new ”capacity” will be? Or how many total seats are being removed? Also, do you know what work will be done in Phases II & III of the renovations? TIA

I hope he answers. It looks like the Upper Level renovations will impact YY7-YY9. Those 3 sections now seat about 1940 fans. Although a lot of those seats will be removed, there will still be some plus whatever SRO's they sell for that area.

I got a question alum that is none of my damn business but you seem to have a good cents of humor so here goes . You were a student in ‘76 and with the screen name 87&91alum I’m assuming you received your 1st degree in’87 followed by another in ‘91.

Were you on the old 9year plan brother 😁?
Attended for year and a half majoring in girls and party. Went to work in construction for a few years. Hard work. Learned a lot. Started all over in jr college then married then hello UT for second time. Very focused. Engineering degree in two years and then MS IE while working in Tullahoma. Now I do my best to encourage young folks to get an engineering degree. I’m living proof you can do it and the retirement is a blessing I don’t deserve. Actually graduated 84 and 91 but Freak or whoever couldn’t update without starting all over...lol.

Last edited:
Remember my dad told me he roomed under the stadium his freshman year when he was in ROTC...don't know which side.

I did also. East Stadium Hall. South Stadium also had dorm rooms. There were four levels.
It was the cheapest dorm. Moved to Henson Hall the next year. It had previously been a women's dorm so toilets, fountains, etc were lower. There was no AC and community showers and bathrooms only.

VN Store

Back