GT rb Jamyr Gibbs enters portal

67 possible players on roster can return as of today.

there are 16 commitments.

roster sits at 83 currently counting commitments.

likely will lose some scholarships as part of the investigation for 2022.

They will definitely need to weed out players if they take the max of 32 (combination of signees and transfers). 32 gets them to 99 players as of today.

Agree..... just responding to the logical MAX portion of the post. Not sure how many of that 67 were one year awards due to availability, usually have a few.... The whole super senior saga has altered many guys eligibility. Not sure if some of those non participating guys might call it a career or take medicals or be encouraged to look elsewhere if we have guys wanting in from our war room wall. I have lots of logic and few facts... guess that makes me an XSPURT. Don't see this staff being ruthless. Also don't predict we will be in a number crunch and having to turn guys away.

They will definitely need to weed out players if they take the max of 32 (combination of signees and transfers). 32 gets them to 99 players as of today.
How many of those would be Covid year players that do not count against the 85? Why can't the 15 scholarships UT did not have this past year satisfy any losses due to the investigation? Seems like that was more than enough of a handicap considering the difficulty of bringing a roster back up to full power under the 25 scholarship rule.

Last edited:
Now many of those would be Covid year players that do not count against the 85? Why can't the 15 scholarships UT did not have this past year satisfy any losses due to the investigation? Seems like that was more than enough of a handicap considering the difficult of bringing a roster back up to full power under the 25 scholarship rule.

Wow, had not even thought of that..... does anybody KNOW if the non counting status for COVID seniors this year was just accomodate this group or will guys who were covid juniors this year be granted that same status? I can see where that would not be the case since you could undersign this year to cover their extended time. But that would cut down on this years classes being restricted and that does not seem fair either. Anybody got some facts? I have googled this topic for days without success in finding portal and related topics being clarified. Some on the kids, none on the schools side of things.

Reactions: sjt18
JMO - there is no way that UT lands a non-toxic/troubled 4/5* that established programs also want. If anyone saw OSU's pass D, they'd know they'd likely be a day 1 starter there.

Humbling question: why go to UT and struggle to win 7/8 games next year when they can go to OSU and likely win 11/12 and go to the CFP and then basically mail it in for a 1st Round Draft pick because that's what OSU does. When is the last time UT even had a 1st Round pick?

HjYzlWr5n9OvVj4_ceYHUdjG9Gp8zPsOjni4-2fTR1pfPwtKKzQ8jSSjfdVuqElUAMVUigCED9CHPuF6n89B22_jguRv4qBXG2NPzEtu9BSRZ5nF94N58sJX-5fHO3E-Z0Ew98qe

LOL

Reactions: BigDave
A running back that is fast enough to play defensive back? Sounds like someone that Heupel could use to for our customary 80 yard TD screen plays🤤

How many of those would be Covid year players that do not count against the 85? Why can't the 15 scholarships UT did not have this past year satisfy any losses due to the investigation? Seems like that was more than enough of a handicap considering the difficulty of bringing a roster back up to full power under the 25 scholarship rule.

From what I understand, they are not going to give up any initial-counters as scholarship reductions under a self imposed penalty. So, they will still continue to sign full classes, if possible. Whatever self imposition they decide upon will be from the 85.

You do bring up a good question, though. Could they attempt to apply some portion of the "scholarship reductions" to this year's team? I think it might be a tough sell to say, see, we gave up 15 scholarships, and to just make this year the extent of the punishment.

However, I bet you could say it starts this year, and then 3 per year for the next three or something to that effect.

Are you saying there are 67 scholarship players on the roster that could return? How could that be we have heard all year that we've only got 73 I believe.

I believe we will be under the 85 limit with a full class.

I think these players will leave on their own or be encouraged to find another opportunity.

TE- Fant
RB - Beckwith
DL - Solomon
I believe you'll see a WR leave one of maybe 2 (Holliday, Calloway, Keyton, Coby)
I also wouldn't be surprised to see a OL leave
And if he were to think about it would LB Mitchell leave, he has a year left....he wasn't that great while he was playing, would he transfer again to make sure he starts?
I also won't be shocked if Milton transfers if hooker comes back.

Are you saying there are 67 scholarship players on the roster that could return? How could that be we have heard all year that we've only got 73 I believe.

I believe we will be under the 85 limit with a full class.

I think these players will leave on their own or be encouraged to find another opportunity.

TE- Fant
RB - Beckwith
DL - Solomon
I believe you'll see a WR leave one of maybe 2 (Holliday, Calloway, Keyton, Coby)
I also wouldn't be surprised to see a OL leave
And if he were to think about it would LB Mitchell leave, he has a year left....he wasn't that great while he was playing, would he transfer again to make sure he starts?
I also won't be shocked if Milton transfers if hooker comes back.

I bet Fant stays, but could easily see Beckwith, Solomon, and some of Holliday, Calloway, Coby and Keyton leave.

I've heard that Mitchell will likely not be back, as well (not sure if from VQ, or elsewhere).

Can Milton transfer again? Would he need to grad transfer?

Reactions: skelleher20
Wow, had not even thought of that..... does anybody KNOW if the non counting status for COVID seniors this year was just accomodate this group or will guys who were covid juniors this year be granted that same status? I can see where that would not be the case since you could undersign this year to cover their extended time. But that would cut down on this years classes being restricted and that does not seem fair either. Anybody got some facts? I have googled this topic for days without success in finding portal and related topics being clarified. Some on the kids, none on the schools side of things.
every kid that was in school and lost a year due to covid or allegedly lost a year gets a year back

They were unsure of Milton on VQ, He can easily Transfer down (FCS) but they didn't know if he was a Grad Transfer or regular Transfer when he came to Tenn.

Going over my list I see 60 scholarship guys that could come back, admittedly I don't know everyone that's on scholarship I don't believe our remaining kickers are or long snappers. I also believe super seniors don't count towards the 85 so I think we can come close to a full class. Will we I don't know...

Reactions: RhodesVol
From what I understand, they are not going to give up any initial-counters as scholarship reductions under a self imposed penalty. So, they will still continue to sign full classes, if possible. Whatever self imposition they decide upon will be from the 85.

You do bring up a good question, though. Could they attempt to apply some portion of the "scholarship reductions" to this year's team? I think it might be a tough sell to say, see, we gave up 15 scholarships, and to just make this year the extent of the punishment.

However, I bet you could say it starts this year, and then 3 per year for the next three or something to that effect.
UT didn't just give up 15 scholarships though. They appear to have purged those involved in the violations to such an extent that they no longer had 85 scholarship players... even counting the Covid super Srs. I believe the high water mark counting all players who came to UT on scholarship was 81 counting Maurer. I also don't think UT signed a full 25 even with the portal guys, did they?

Pruitt wanted him to play DB
That’s what I was thinking.

He’s a perfect fit for Heupel. Likely ends up at Ohio State or Bama if I’ve heard right but he would be absolutely silly in Tennessee’s offense and put up video game numbers on defenses. Hopefully one of the coaches at least touches base with this kid.

Reactions: TheVolsFrog
UT didn't just give up 15 scholarships though. They appear to have purged those involved in the violations to such an extent that they no longer had 85 scholarship players... even counting the Covid super Srs. I believe the high water mark counting all players who came to UT on scholarship was 81 counting Maurer. I also don't think UT signed a full 25 even with the portal guys, did they?

No, I think you're right on all of those counts. Likewise, I think that we only got into the 70's for scholarship players after giving available scholarships to a number of walk-on guys.

Not sure on how many we signed, but I think we got pretty close to the 25 last year.

I think it might be a tough sell to say, see, we gave up 15 scholarships, and to just make this year the extent of the punishment.

UT shouldn’t approach it from that perspective. They should tell the NCAA that they screwed UT and any other team hit hard by the transfer rule by not giving anyone the capability to immediately recoup the players lost. You gotta make sure the NCAA feels incompetent so they’ll back off.

UT shouldn’t approach it from that perspective. They should tell the NCAA that they screwed UT and any other team hit hard by the transfer rule by not giving anyone the capability to immediately recoup the players lost. You gotta make sure the NCAA feels incompetent so they’ll back off.

I would love a head on approach, but I fear UT is in poor bargaining position to make one after cow-towing to the NCAA throughout this investigation and then deciding not to self-impose a bowl ban.

It is ridiculous, though, that the NCAA didn't allow schools hit hard by the portal to immediately seek replacements, and then put a rule into place that STILL might not help those schools. As always, the NCAA is incompetent and horrid. In that department you will get no disagreement from me.

Reactions: VolRage
No, I think you're right on all of those counts. Likewise, I think that we only got into the 70's for scholarship players after giving available scholarships to a number of walk-on guys.

Not sure on how many we signed, but I think we got pretty close to the 25 last year.
I did a count once after someone said UT only had 60 something scholarship players. That number didn't count the Covid Srs. When I counted directly from the roster prior to Bailey quitting, there were 80 guys who came to UT on scholarship either through the portal or as HS signees.

Agree..... just responding to the logical MAX portion of the post. Not sure how many of that 67 were one year awards due to availability, usually have a few.... The whole super senior saga has altered many guys eligibility. Not sure if some of those non participating guys might call it a career or take medicals or be encouraged to look elsewhere if we have guys wanting in from our war room wall. I have lots of logic and few facts... guess that makes me an XSPURT. Don't see this staff being ruthless. Also don't predict we will be in a number crunch and having to turn guys away.

here are the 67 and there are none that were one year guys. I understand that Solomon, Mitchell and Calbert likely won't return but nothing official yet. I will remove once official.

Total Scholarships (67)
Number 2021 Seniors (12) Class
37 Brooks, Paxton SR (4th)
11 Bumphus, Latrell SR (5th)
74 Calbert, K'Rojhn R/SR (5th)
75 Carvin, Jerome SR (4th)
88 Fant, Princeton R/SR (5th)
1 Flowers, Trevon SR (4th)
5 Hooker, Henden R/SR (5th)
44 Labruzza, Cheyenne R/SR (5th)
40 McGrath, Chase R/SR (5th)
10 Mitchell, Juwan SR (4th)