We'll learn fast what Danny White is made of......

madbamahater

We were told Danny White was a great hire. We were told Danny White was ready for the big stage at a big program.

I will say, based on what I've seen so far, this is the case.

I believe he has his eyes, heart and soul set on winning. Bringing Heupel to Tennessee has, so far, looked like a brilliant decision.

He is credited and known for making very solid hires everywhere he's been.

How good is he at retaining coaches? Especially one's he hired? He lost Scott Frost to Nebraska from UCF. I understand that on paper and historical significance Nebraska has been a better program than UCF. I get it.

But, White had a coach, that he hired leave for his alma mater in Frost going to Nebraska.

Now, faced with a similar situation and Oklahoma being Oklahoma, what happens? With Tennessee being HISTORICALLY a top ten program in many categories, but Oklahoma as being one with actual more success than Tennessee.....how does this play out?

What are the advantages for Heupel staying at Tennessee vs leaving for his alma mater? Does anyone know?

This is where Danny White has to step up and retain his guy this time. Danny White will have to put on his best sales pitch this time.

I think this will possibly come down to seeing what Danny White is made of. I guess we will see.......

Last edited:
With Oklahoma moving to the SEC and no one knowing what the divisions will look like in the future. Either Texas or Oklahoma being in a division with Tennessee or neither if the SEC goes a new "pod" structure. It's literally going to come down to Heupel making a decision is Oklahoma a better program than Tennessee. Historically, yes they are. They have won many national championships and have 50 conference championships. That's pretty remarkable. They are basically the Alabama of the conferences they've been in.

Last edited:
With Oklahoma moving to the SEC and no one knowing what the divisions will look like in the future. Either Texas or Oklahoma being in a division with Tennessee or neither if the SEC goes a new "pod" structure. It's literally going to come down to Heupel making a decision is Oklahoma a better program than Tennessee.
Agree...all the gnashing of teeth about pay is much ado about nothing. He either wants to be in OK as dream destination or he doesn't. If he does, he's probably gone. If he doesn't, we're good. Not about the $$$...both places can pay him plenty of money. To me, JH is a loyalty guy, and think he's probably more loyal to the guy who has been with him at two stops and brought him to the big time @ UT, vs OK, where the current AD was responsible for his firing as a scapegoat.

In reality, as long as he stays, this is good for UT and JH from a visibility standpoint w/ recruits...pushes his name out there nationally more...much like Barnes, where UT got a ton of press off UCLA...and coincidentally or not, was the start of Barnes landing some of the best rated players ever to wear the orange and white.

JH hasn't even been contacted by OU and all reports indicate he's had nothing to do with them since his firing. I don't see him going anywhere and I don't think UT should overpay him on a hunch either. Does he deserve to be extended? Yes. Does he deserve Saban type money? No

In reality, looking at it as of today, it’s an easier road to success at Oklahoma than here. That said, Oklahoma will expect much more in a shorter time frame due to recent success.

If he is offered, I’m sure it’ll be strongly tempting, but I’m still not convinced he’s a legit candidate. CJH had a good year 1, but nothing magical, and his recruiting capability is still being tested.

CJH came up through the ranks the way most coaches do. AD White gave him a very prominent position in the college football world when you consider UT's tradition and brand. None of us actually know how the previous dismissal at OU impacted CJH. He could have felt business as usual or maybe somewhat bitter. I think with DW as our current AD we're in good hands and CJH has the potential to even make a bigger name for himself in the coming years simply by staying put. He certainly made one helluva impression in his 1st season considering the circumstances surrounding our football program.

JH hasn't even been contacted by OU and all reports indicate he's had nothing to do with them since his firing. I don't see him going anywhere and I don't think UT should overpay him on a hunch either. Does he deserve to be extended? Yes. Does he deserve Saban type money? No

This means nothing if OU’s dominos start to fall. Fact is they are late to the scene of competing for available coaches. If their top targets say no, that’s where things get interesting. Kiffin wasn’t in USC’s top 5-6 targets. He only got the job interview after the likes of Jeff Fisher, Del Rio, Mike Riley, and Chris Petersen among others said no. I hope and pray OU has a quick search. But the longer it draws out, that’s concerning.

The smart and objective view is for them to basically go latter Heupel to preserve the offensive juggernaut philosophy they have while prepping for SEC. However since pride is involved, I will laugh my ass off if someone like Stoops or Veneables gets hired where they change the entire philosophy from offense to defense.

Reactions: Orange Swagger
The biggest draw of OK is it's CJH's Alma Mater.

Plus family / friends / legacy.

Unlike Kiffen, this really probably is CJH's "dream job". Hopefully the purported $20M buyout is presents a problem for their program.

A lot of posters on here seem to forget that Heupel was fired from what some are calling his "dream job". Just because the guy went to OU doesn't mean it's his dream job. Any college team that is willing to pay a coach millions more that what they currently make is their dream job regardless of what name is on the jersey. Oklahoma told Heupel to kick rocks a few years ago. To rub salt in the wound, who did OU just bring back to be the interim coach......Stoops, the exact same man that fired him. The way I see it, OU would have to spend waaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyy more money than a 7-5 Tennessee coach or a 6-4 UCF coach with an outlandish buyout is worth. Besides, there are other top tier coaches that haven't already been fired by Oklahoma on the table. Just my opinion.

In reality, looking at it as of today, it’s an easier road to success at Oklahoma than here. That said, Oklahoma will expect much more in a shorter time frame due to recent success.

If he is offered, I’m sure it’ll be strongly tempting, but I’m still not convinced he’s a legit candidate. CJH had a good year 1, but nothing magical, and his recruiting capability is still being tested.
I think we all need to see OU play an SEC schedule before we assume it would be easier to win there. It's easier to win at OU in the big12 bc they damn sure ain't reeling off 10 straight SEC titles. I believe OU is a better job if they were staying in the big12. I'm not sure they would have won 8 games this year in the SEC. I don't think Riley wanted to deal with the SEC bc he left a stable top 5 program, that was willing to break the bank, for a broken program. He basically dismissed 2 programs that would be thought of as top flight jobs. Both are current/future SEC jobs (OU, LSU). OU has to make a move fast, they can't afford to wait weeks on this. Especially not if they want to keep their team intact. I've already seen instant decommits from OU.

Unlike Kiffen, this really probably is CJH's "dream job". Hopefully the purported $20M buyout is presents a problem for their program.

It's also worth noting that CJH was fired at Oklahoma as OC. We don't know how he might feel towards his alma mater given that circumstance. Personally I don't think CJH is going anywhere.

Thankfully Stoops threw CJH under the bus for his brother's failures. It was a nasty break up. I don't see CJH going to Oklahoma while he is still involved.

There's bad blood there especially since Stoops is still around

My money says Stoops throws his brother a bone

This means nothing if OU’s dominos start to fall. Fact is they are late to the scene of competing for available coaches. If their top targets say no, that’s where things get interesting. Kiffin wasn’t in USC’s top 5-6 targets. He only got the job interview after the likes of Jeff Fisher, Del Rio, Mike Riley, and Chris Petersen among others said no. I hope and pray OU has a quick search. But the longer it draws out, that’s concerning.

The smart and objective view is for them to basically go latter Heupel to preserve the offensive juggernaut philosophy they have while prepping for SEC. However since pride is involved, I will laugh my ass off if someone like Stoops or Veneables gets hired where they change the entire philosophy from offense to defense.

JH didn't even attend their 2000 national championship reunion if that gives you any indication as to his feelings towards OU. He has nothing to do with the program any longer. Do you think Tee Martin would give up a good job to come be the coach at UT if he already had a major conference head coaching job? It's possible but it wouldn't shock me in the least if he were to turn UT down and he wasn't fired from UT.

Heupel would owe like 8 million if he left. I'll give White credit for not pulling a Hamilton and making his buyout like Kiffin's.. They'd have to want him real bad to fork that out and pay him too.

Too many people want to believe that Alma Mater matters. It does to an extent but majority of the coaches once they leave are only concerned about what is best for their family and best path to staying employed. His Alma Mater also fired him so loyalty only matters when you're winning. Frost left to go back to Nebraska and he is one foot out the door closer to being fired next year.

JH didn't even attend their 2000 national championship reunion if that gives you any indication as to his feelings towards OU. He has nothing to do with the program any longer. Do you think Tee Martin would give up a good job to come be the coach at UT if he already had a major conference head coaching job? It's possible but it wouldn't shock me in the least if he were to turn UT down and he wasn't fired from UT.
Tee didn't come back home to be the OC, but came back when he was fired to be WR here. Only thing that matters is the check.

Too many people want to believe that Alma Mater matters. It does to an extent but majority of the coaches once they leave are only concerned about what is best for their family and best path to staying employed. His Alma Mater also fired him so loyalty only matters when you're winning. Frost left to go back to Nebraska and he is one foot out the door closer to being fired next year.
If Frost doesn't make serious progress next season, odds are he won't make it through the whole season. That's how much loyalty means these days. It's a business where wins and losses determine your fate, no matter what.

It is what it is. I don't think Tennessee, our fans, the players, can do much more to keep him here assuming we are extending his contract and reasonable salary/perks. College football has become more like Pro football every year. Agree with most of the posts in this thread this morning. If CJH moves to another program, thanks for the memory and he doesn't owe us more...it is a business. I hope he stays and we build another National Championship team. Agree that Danny White is doing a very good job so far. Cheers and hopefully see y'all at a bowl game. VFL GBO!

In all fairness we don’t really know of Oklahoma has or hasn’t contacted Heupel. We are not privy to those conversations unless someone chooses to make a statement

It's also worth noting that CJH was fired at Oklahoma as OC. We don't know how he might feel towards his alma mater given that circumstance. Personally I don't think CJH is going anywhere.
Agreed and it was Stoops and the current admin that fired him.

Thankfully Stoops threw CJH under the bus for his brother's failures. It was a nasty break up. I don't see CJH going to Oklahoma while he is still involved.
There's bad blood there especially since Stoops is still around

My money says Stoops throws his brother a bone

By all indicators, Stoops is still a large and powerful influence at OU (i.e. so much so that he hasn't coached football in four years - take that back there was that short lived XFL thing - but he's coaching OU in their bowl game). If he has anything to do or say about the coaching hire, just like he did with Riley, then NO WAY does Heupel get a phone call.

Oklahoma, despite their historical success, is not a better landing spot than Tennessee. They are entering the SEC and their schedule just got exponentially harder; it's one of the big reasons Lincoln Riley left. Success is no longer a guarantee at OU and the job just got way more difficult. It is one of those locations that is hard to recruit at/to and they just entered by far the hardest conference in the land. I predict Oklahoma is on a sharp downturn.

Heup has bad blood with how they treated him last time he was there and he has started a good thing here with people he likes and Heup and Dany White are boys. If he left, it would be harder on him and his family. I wouldn't leave if I were him.

VN Store

Back