We'll learn fast what Danny White is made of......

If, If , If Oklahoma offers the Sooners HC job to Heupel, acting to retain Heupel is NOT Danny White's only move.

Heupel is good, but how much is he REALLY worth? That is the question. I think he's proven to be worth at least the $4M we are paying him, but is he worth the $6-$8M it would take to retain him? How much are you willing to pay a guy who hasn't proven that he can recruit with Georgia, Alabama, and Florida? Who else could we bring in for that kind of money? John Harbaugh is making $9M with the Ravens... with a buyout from Heupel could we offer him $10M-$12 to get him here? How long will Meyer last in Jacksonville? Would Matt Campbell or Kliff Kingsbury be interested in doubling his salary? Are we so married to cancel culture that we wouldn't give John Gruden a job? Luke Fickell and Jamey Chadwell have proven to be good head coaches. Mark Stoops has done at Kentucky what many people thought was impossible. Gus Malzahn might be interesting in coming back to the SEC. Chip Kelly still knows a thing or two about football. Dan Mullen is still good, regardless of what many on this board think.

So again, how much is Heupel really worth?

Reactions: windrider
Nobody is afraid of Mark Stoops lol
WHO CARES?!

He just won 9 games at KENTUCKY for the 2nd time and currently has the 4th ranked recruiting class in the SEC, which includes a 5-star player and two of the best players in Tennessee.

If, If , If Oklahoma offers the Sooners HC job to Heupel, acting to retain Heupel is NOT Danny White's only move.

Heupel is good, but how much is he REALLY worth? That is the question. I think he's proven to be worth at least the $4M we are paying him, but is he worth the $6-$8M it would take to retain him? How much are you willing to pay a guy who hasn't proven that he can recruit with Georgia, Alabama, and Florida? Who else could we bring in for that kind of money? John Harbaugh is making $9M with the Ravens... with a buyout from Heupel could we offer him $10M-$12 to get him here? How long will Meyer last in Jacksonville? Would Matt Campbell or Kliff Kingsbury be interested in doubling his salary? Are we so married to cancel culture that we wouldn't give John Gruden a job? Luke Fickell and Jamey Chadwell have proven to be good head coaches. Mark Stoops has done at Kentucky what many people thought was impossible. Gus Malzahn might be interesting in coming back to the SEC. Chip Kelly still knows a thing or two about football. Dan Mullen is still good, regardless of what many on this board think.

So again, how much is Heupel really worth?
Mullen? If he could not recruit at Florida what makes you think he could here?

By all indicators, Stoops is still a large and powerful influence at OU (i.e. so much so that he hasn't coached football in four years - take that back there was that short lived XFL thing - but he's coaching OU in their bowl game). If he has anything to do or say about the coaching hire, just like he did with Riley, then NO WAY does Heupel get a phone call.
That’s my thoughts. The only way a non-proven winner, (and I’m talking big name guys) get a shot is if Stoops suggests or recommends them. Why the heck would he recommend a guy he’s previously fired? And no disrespect intended but Huep hasn’t even had enough experience yet to prove he can win 10+ games at a big time program. Can he? Hell yes! Has he? Not yet.

Reactions: IndianaVol
If Frost doesn't make serious progress next season, odds are he won't make it through the whole season. That's how much loyalty means these days. It's a business where wins and losses determine your fate, no matter what.
Another reason why fans shouldn't put too much emphasis on players like Frost and believing great players will deliver as coaches. Fans forget the player and what the player brought when that player fails as a coach.

Mullen? If he could not recruit at Florida what makes you think he could here?
I'm not saying he could, but Heupel hasn't proven that he can either. To be clear, I do like Heupel. I'm just wondering how much he is worth. If, if, if, it comes down to it... should Danny White pay $8M to keep Heupel if he can get someone like Mullen for $4M? Mullen did have the 5th best recruiting class in the SEC last year... do we really think he's that much worse of a recruiter than Heupel? If they are similar recruiters... is Heupel that much better of a coach? There's a reason why everyone thought Florida made a great hire when they got Mullen. He doesn't suck.

We were told Danny White was a great hire. We were told Danny White was ready for the big stage at a big program.

I will say, based on what I've seen so far, this is the case.

I believe he has his eyes, heart and soul set on winning. Bringing Heupel to Tennessee has, so far, looked like a brilliant decision.

He is credited and known for making very solid hires everywhere he's been.

How good is he at retaining coaches? Especially one's he hired? He lost Scott Frost to Nebraska from UCF. I understand that on paper and historical significance Nebraska has been a better program than UCF. I get it.

But, White had a coach, that he hired leave for his alma mater in Frost going to Nebraska.

Now, faced with a similar situation and Oklahoma being Oklahoma, what happens? With Tennessee being HISTORICALLY a top ten program in many categories, but Oklahoma as being one with actual more success than Tennessee.....how does this play out?

What are the advantages for Heupel staying at Tennessee vs leaving for his alma mater? Does anyone know?

This is where Danny White has to step up and retain his guy this time. Danny White will have to put on his best sales pitch this time.

I think this will possibly come down to seeing what Danny White is made of. I guess we will see.......
As much as I want CJH to stay this is his decision assuming he's been offered another position. It's not about Danny White.

Jury is still out on White at this point.

It was really bad to seed UT so far behind in the NIL scene, caused Barnes a lot of grief and a few recruits.

May also be the reason the top recruits in fb are not committing. Nolen, for example.

This NIL thing needs to be corrected, like, last week. Signing date coming.

At the end of the baseball season, LSU fans were CONVINCED that their AD would be able to poach Tony Vitello from Tennessee. And while football is going to be king, baseball at LSU is just about as close as you can get in terms of importance. But ultimately, Danny White gave him what it took for him to stay, and then some.

I actually trust White, and I think CJH does, too. The history of their professional relationship shows as much.

I'm sure it might come to a shock and rock your world, but you realize Heupel had a game to coach that same day right? Are you saying that it would been logical for him to be in Norman for a ceremony around 2:30 PM Eastern time and then hop on a 2 hour flight back to Knoxville and be at Neyland mere 60-90 minutes prior to kickoff? I'm going to assume you're a sane person and not suggesting that.

Tee Martin is a position coach in the NFL which plays on SUNDAY..... Tee can easily come back to Knoxville for a 1998 ceremony..... Heupel being a head coach in college that plays on SATURDAY can't.....

I'm going to assume that you can actually read. I never stated that he should miss coaching a game to join a reunion but the reunion was spread out over several days not just on game day. I never suggested that Tee Martin was a head coach. I said "IF" he were a head coach at a major Division 1 program. Carry on with your fake expert insights!

I'm going to assume that you can actually read. I never stated that he should miss coaching a game to join a reunion but the reunion was spread out over several days not just on game day. I never suggested that Tee Martin was a head coach. I said "IF" he were a head coach at a major Division 1 program. Carry on with your fake expert insights!

The big ceremony was at half time vs ISU..... You literally are saying he should have been there on a day he was coaching 5-6 hours later..... But yes, please backpedal some more.....

We were told Danny White was a great hire. We were told Danny White was ready for the big stage at a big program.

I will say, based on what I've seen so far, this is the case.

I believe he has his eyes, heart and soul set on winning. Bringing Heupel to Tennessee has, so far, looked like a brilliant decision.

He is credited and known for making very solid hires everywhere he's been.

How good is he at retaining coaches? Especially one's he hired? He lost Scott Frost to Nebraska from UCF. I understand that on paper and historical significance Nebraska has been a better program than UCF. I get it.

But, White had a coach, that he hired leave for his alma mater in Frost going to Nebraska.

Now, faced with a similar situation and Oklahoma being Oklahoma, what happens? With Tennessee being HISTORICALLY a top ten program in many categories, but Oklahoma as being one with actual more success than Tennessee.....how does this play out?

What are the advantages for Heupel staying at Tennessee vs leaving for his alma mater? Does anyone know?

This is where Danny White has to step up and retain his guy this time. Danny White will have to put on his best sales pitch this time.

I think this will possibly come down to seeing what Danny White is made of. I guess we will see.......
There are two significant logical fallacies when you try to compare Frost's move from UCF to Nebraska with an imagined Heupel move from Tennessee to Oklahoma. I mean, they're each tractor-trailer sized fallacies:

(1) UCF-->Nebraska is lower case to upper case, the minor league to the majors, group of 5 to Power 5. Tennessee to Oklahoma would be a lateral move. Particularly given our imminent return to competing for championships, and Oklahoma's approaching move to the SEC. Peer to peer.

(2) Scott Frost was born and grew up in Nebraska. As he played pop warner, junior high, and high school football, he dreamed of being a Cornhusker. He was red and white his entire life, and remains committed to the Cornhuskers to this day. Meanwhile, Josh Heupel grew up in South Dakota. If he had a favorite college team it was probably either the South Dakota Coyotes or the South Dakota State Jackrabbits. But probably he was more focused on the Minnesota Vikings or Green Bay Packers as a kid. That's the way it generally goes up in that part of the country. His emotional ties to Oklahoma? Probably at most one-tenth of what Frost feels for Nebraska. Simply not comparable.

As for your main point, we already know what Dan White is made of. We saw him bring in Heupel. We also saw him fend off competition for our men's basketball coach and our baseball coach. He has already been busy. He has already proven himself.

There is no mystery here. Josh Heupel is going nowhere.

Go Vols!

With Oklahoma moving to the SEC and no one knowing what the divisions will look like in the future. Either Texas or Oklahoma being in a division with Tennessee or neither if the SEC goes a new "pod" structure. It's literally going to come down to Heupel making a decision is Oklahoma a better program than Tennessee. Historically, yes they are. They have won many national championships and have 50 conference championships. That's pretty remarkable. They are basically the Alabama of the conferences they've been in.
You just said the key phrase--"The Conference they have been in". The game for Oklahoma is about to drastically change and I am sure that JH is well aware of that.

The big ceremony was at half time vs ISU..... You literally are saying he should have been there on a day he was coaching 5-6 hours later..... But yes, please backpedal some more.....

Sure thing chief, it’s reasonably intelligent to assume a coach would skip a game and that isn’t even what I was referring to but continue on with your in depth analysis

I'm not saying he could, but Heupel hasn't proven that he can either. To be clear, I do like Heupel. I'm just wondering how much he is worth. If, if, if, it comes down to it... should Danny White pay $8M to keep Heupel if he can get someone like Mullen for $4M? Mullen did have the 5th best recruiting class in the SEC last year... do we really think he's that much worse of a recruiter than Heupel? If they are similar recruiters... is Heupel that much better of a coach? There's a reason why everyone thought Florida made a great hire when they got Mullen. He doesn't suck.

No thank you to Florida's sloppy 2nds

With Oklahoma moving to the SEC and no one knowing what the divisions will look like in the future. Either Texas or Oklahoma being in a division with Tennessee or neither if the SEC goes a new "pod" structure. It's literally going to come down to Heupel making a decision is Oklahoma a better program than Tennessee. Historically, yes they are. They have won many national championships and have 50 conference championships. That's pretty remarkable. They are basically the Alabama of the conferences they've been in.
We’ve won almost as many and we for the most part have dealt with a harder schedule. Nebraska was a hell of a rival and so was Texas. Other than that OU generally has beat up on cupcakes. We’ve never had the luxury of doing that, we’ve had to compete against historically excellent programs such as Bama, Auburn, LSU, Georgia and then Florida. OU is a great program but they don’t have anything on us

Reactions: Rickyvol77
Oklahoma has Big 12 record expectations and they will expect to do the same in the SEC.

They won’t.

They are about to have a rude awakening.

They will now play LSU, AL, TX AM, Ole Miss, Auburn every single year.

They will also play every few years GA, FL and us and we are gonna be a load again by 2023 and definitely by 2025.

The were a big fish in a small pond and now they are in an ocean called the SEC.

Any smart coach knows this is not the job you want now. Let reality set in first for them and then become their coach once they realize what a realistic record now looks like.

We’ve won almost as many and we for the most part have dealt with a harder schedule. Nebraska was a hell of a rival and so was Texas. Other than that OU generally has beat up on cupcakes. We’ve never had the luxury of doing that, we’ve had to compete against historically excellent programs such as Bama, Auburn, LSU, Georgia and then Florida. OU is a great program but they don’t have anything on us
The cupcake schedule you're talking about has allowed them to stay in the top 10 and recruit nationally. How will they fare in the SEC when recruits aren't expecting them to be in playoff contention every year? Oklahoma isn't exactly a hotbed for recruiting. Does any school currently in the SEC have a worse home region for recruiting than Oklahoma does? Will they still be able to recruit nationally after going 7-5?

Personally, I feel Riley leaving for USC was not so much fearing coming to the SEC as it was having a subpar year at Oklahoma, and taking an opportunity to reset the clock without being on the hot seat. That is not an issue for Heupel right now. And while this might seem comparable to the Kiffin situation, well Kiffin was an arrogant *rick. ...

I think this is an opportunity to PROVE he can BUILD a program. Bob Stoops handed him the keys to a well oiled machine, that he kept up the maintenance on ....
Building a program is one thing that is missing from his resume ... then ... jump to the NFL?!?!? USC ...gives him that opportunity. AND it is a big plus to 'miss' the level of talent he would have seen in the SEC on a weekly basis.
Finally, he can come out of the Bob Stoops shadow at USC.
According to me, this is not fear ... this is expanding his resume. This is an opportunity. Who knows ... he might have ruffled some feathers in OK with this less than stellar season (see below).
With a week off before Baylor ... it was looking good on the record ... but under the hood there were questions!

RATING W L SCHEDL(RANK) VS top 10 | VS top 30

8 Oklahoma A = 85.94 10 2 71.86 (53) 0 - 1 1 - 2

Sagarin rankings used
W 40-35 vs Tulane #106 2-10
W 23-16 vs Nebraska #50 3-9
W 16-13 vs West Virginia #51 6-6
W 37-31 at Kansas State #37 7-5
W 55-48 vs Texas #39 5-7
W 52-31 vs TCU #75 5-7
W 35-23 vs Kansas #139 2-10
W 52-21 vs Texas Tech #66 6-6
L 14-27 at Baylor #16 10-2
W 28-21 vs Iowa State #15 7-5
L 33-37 at OK State #6 11-1

Granted their schedule was back loaded with the best teams at the end of the schedule, but they hand a very up and down season.
Will be interesting to see which coaches follow Riley to USC ... ( joined by defensive coordinator Alex Grinch, WRs coach Dennis Simmons, director of ops Clarke Stroud & strength coach Bennie Wylie) AND ... very interested to see how this Bob Stoops as 'interim' coach works out. :^)
Drake plays for OK and Isaac is coaching in High School.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back