We'll learn fast what Danny White is made of......

Too many people want to believe that Alma Mater matters. It does to an extent but majority of the coaches once they leave are only concerned about what is best for their family and best path to staying employed. His Alma Mater also fired him so loyalty only matters when you're winning. Frost left to go back to Nebraska and he is one foot out the door closer to being fired next year.
Your post is ironic based on your username. Majors was loyal to his alma mater - perhaps to his detriment. Professionally, it might have been easier to keep things rolling at Pitt than to undertake a rebuild at UT. But, it was a different era.

Reactions: Majors
Your post is ironic based on your username. Majors was loyal to his alma mater - perhaps to his detriment. Professionally, it might have been easier to keep things rolling at Pitt than to undertake a rebuild at UT. But, it was a different era.
Ironic indeed. Different era, but unique situation for Majors coming off a NC. Even his ending was unique at the time. Back then loyalty meant something because pay was good, but not today type money.

Majors was wanting to come back home in the worst way. When the opportunity came, he jumped. Tennessee was very fair in how it treated Majors. They gave him plenty of time to build the program kept him longer than almost any school would have kept him, but his health and personal problems led to his firing. He left Fuller a ton of talent which Fuller par laid into a National Championship.
CJH’s stay at Oklahoma was not nearly as pleasant as CJM ‘s was at Tennessee. I believe CJH is itching to show what he can accomplish at Tennessee and that he really wants to coach our VOLs to a SEC Championship and a resulting College Lzyoff Championship. I am confident he will get that done at Tennessee before he leaves.

it’s only been 7 years since Heupel was shown the door by Stoops and Oklahoma.

The year he was fired Heupel offense at Oklahoma scored 36+ points per game and was one of the top 20 O’s in the country……..better than the previous year……yet he was fired anyway……….saving another Stopps job (in essence).

If it had been 15 or 20 years, Incould see it happening. Since it’s been only 7…….and White is Heupel’s boss (the man who gave him is first HC job and his first power HC job)…….I highly doubt this would be even considered by either parties.

Oklahoma knows the deal…….their not going to ask and him say no……..Heupel is probably years away from wanting to go back……especially with Stoops still around.

Reactions: 99grad
it’s only been 7 years since Heupel was shown the door by Stoops and Oklahoma.

The year he was fired Heupel offense at Oklahoma scored 36+ points per game and was one of the top 20 O’s in the country……..better than the previous year……yet he was fired anyway……….saving another Stopps job (in essence).

If it had been 15 or 20 years, Incould see it happening. Since it’s been only 7…….and White is Heupel’s boss (the man who gave him is first HC job and his first power HC job)…….I highly doubt this would be even considered by either parties.

Oklahoma knows the deal…….their not going to ask and him say no……..Heupel is probably years away from wanting to go back……especially with Stoops still around.

Y'all overvalue the power of an alma mater in terms of coaching.

First of all, I don't think Heupel is on OUs radar much in a generic sense. By generic, I mean that he took over a 13-0 team, and although he was 12-1 in his first year, in his third year he was 6-4. Now he has gone 7-5 at UT and exceeded expectations.

Don't get me wrong, I am very happy to be 7-5, that's better than I expected, and is impressive, but at the end of the day it's still 7-5. Is that really truly going to excite OU? I don't think so. The only way I see OU going after Heupel is if they get really desperate.

The more specific reason I'm not that worried about it is that Stoops likely will have a lot of say about the next hire, and he fired Heupel and rumor is that they don't care for each other. Would OU hire Heupel over Stoops objections? I doubt it.

Reactions: volbound1700
In reality, looking at it as of today, it’s an easier road to success at Oklahoma than here. That said, Oklahoma will expect much more in a shorter time frame due to recent success.

If he is offered, I’m sure it’ll be strongly tempting, but I’m still not convinced he’s a legit candidate. CJH had a good year 1, but nothing magical, and his recruiting capability is still being tested.
Oklahoma is headed to the SEC, and the road to success will be far less easy.

Tennessee was more than loyal to Johnny Majors and he wanted the UT job, completely different situations. He had several subpar seasons at UT especially during his first 10 seasons. He was physically done as a coach by the early to mid 90s.

I don't think Stoops will admit he was wrong also.
Bad thing was they lost because of defensive play those 4 games, and Mark Stoops was coaching defense! He fired the offensive staff because he wasn’t going to fire his brother. I also read some of boosters wanted Huepel gone, the boosters still fund the program so that would have to be squared as well! Seems like it was a nasty situation for sure.

Bad thing was they lost because of defensive play those 4 games, and Mark Stoops was coaching defense! He fired the offensive staff because he wasn’t going to fire his brother. I also read some of boosters wanted Huepel gone, the boosters still fund the program so that would have to be squared as well! Seems like it was a nasty situation for sure.

.Madbamahater,Of Oklahoma having 50 conference championships,they played a strong Texas team every year,then a bunch of 500 teams ala the little ten.Mich,OSU,PennST. then the occasional upstart.Max three hard games a year for Big Ten,1.5 for Ok.Not comparable to the SEC.

Huepel is not going to Oklahoma period. Keep in mind that he and Stoops parted ways when Huepel was FIRED by Stoops!!!!! There remains bad blood between them still.

Still easier than here. Oklahoma has been relevant in the last 15 years.
If I were to pluck any of the Riley teams up and throw them in the SEC for any of those given years, I don’t think they have 4 playoff appearances. Yes you are correct, they are better off than Tennessee, but my point was that this is a much tougher path, no matter what conference you are coming from.

CJH came up through the ranks the way most coaches do. AD White gave him a very prominent position in the college football world when you consider UT's tradition and brand. None of us actually know how the previous dismissal at OU impacted CJH. He could have felt business as usual or maybe somewhat bitter. I think with DW as our current AD we're in good hands and CJH has the potential to even make a bigger name for himself in the coming years simply by staying put. He certainly made one helluva impression in his 1st season considering the circumstances surrounding our football program.
I would like to agree with you but I cannot. I think with any coach in today's college game, he is going to go where the money is better and the school name is more potent. I hate it but it is so true that money talks and bullsoot walks. Especially with UT sitting on the NCAA hammer that is hanging over them.

If I were to pluck any of the Riley teams up and throw them in the SEC for any of those given years, I don’t think they have 4 playoff appearances. Yes you are correct, they are better off than Tennessee, but my point was that this is a much tougher path, no matter what conference you are coming from.

Ok, well my point, that you originally quoted, was that they are better off than Tennessee.

If you don't know what Danny White is made of yet, you haven't been following the program. He came in, raised even more funds for the athletic department, invested in the coaching staffs for every sport (literally every sport), he drove university efforts to commit to our newly found successful baseball program and he made a great hire for our football program which is why this thread is here to begin with.

This has nothing to do with Danny White and everything to do with Josh Heupel and where he wants to be.

I agree, I think Danny White is the best AD that Tennessee has had in a long time.

We were told Danny White was a great hire. We were told Danny White was ready for the big stage at a big program.

I will say, based on what I've seen so far, this is the case.

I believe he has his eyes, heart and soul set on winning. Bringing Heupel to Tennessee has, so far, looked like a brilliant decision.

He is credited and known for making very solid hires everywhere he's been.

How good is he at retaining coaches? Especially one's he hired? He lost Scott Frost to Nebraska from UCF. I understand that on paper and historical significance Nebraska has been a better program than UCF. I get it.

But, White had a coach, that he hired leave for his alma mater in Frost going to Nebraska.

Now, faced with a similar situation and Oklahoma being Oklahoma, what happens? With Tennessee being HISTORICALLY a top ten program in many categories, but Oklahoma as being one with actual more success than Tennessee.....how does this play out?

What are the advantages for Heupel staying at Tennessee vs leaving for his alma mater? Does anyone know?

This is where Danny White has to step up and retain his guy this time. Danny White will have to put on his best sales pitch this time.

I think this will possibly come down to seeing what Danny White is made of. I guess we will see.......
Two hens don’t make a bankers nut chest….

Oklahoma is the same school that fired Hype as a OC. So why in the hell would they hire him as the Head coach. This absolutely makes no sense. Are Vol fans stupid or just act like it to get attention

.Madbamahater,Of Oklahoma having 50 conference championships,they played a strong Texas team every year,then a bunch of 500 teams ala the little ten.Mich,OSU,PennST. then the occasional upstart.Max three hard games a year for Big Ten,1.5 for Ok.Not comparable to the SEC.

They didn't always play Texas in conference. Their nemesis was Nebraska in the old Big 8. Nebraska beat them frequently. Having said that, it was almost always Nebraska or OU.

VN Store

Back