'22 TN QB Ty Simpson (Alabama commit)

It is absolutely not valid. You have to look at each individual recruit and evaluate them. Every player is unique.

Just saying "Plays crap competition. Can't play" is lazy as Hell.

Simpson is better than Jackson, and the coaching staff agrees per scuttle. Time will tell if we flip him.
We aren’t

Reactions: VolByLaw
Crazier things have happened. Tennessee is a powerful place. We landed Bryce Brown in 2 months.

Talks are absolutely being had behind the scenes. I'm not saying this is a done deal. But the idea that Heupel and Co. and the Simpson camp haven't been chatting is pure fantasy.
You must mean Kiffin bought Brown when he was here.And by the way whatever happened to him?

Crazier things have happened. Tennessee is a powerful place. We landed Bryce Brown in 2 months.

Talks are absolutely being had behind the scenes. I'm not saying this is a done deal. But the idea that Heupel and Co. and the Simpson camp haven't been chatting is pure fantasy.
Lol. Not happening my friend

It is absolutely not valid. You have to look at each individual recruit and evaluate them. Every player is unique.

Simpson is better than Jackson, and the coaching staff agrees per scuttle. Time will tell if we flip him.
Tayven is infinitely better for one very valid reason...he actually wants to be a Vol.

Ahhh “scuttle”! The butt of every made up rumor. 😎

I do think it is a lazy argument in a vacuum, but when talking about the QB position, particularly, it has a bit more validity.

Im more or less just complaining. There was no validity to it. Lol

This will sound like whining, but whatever, don’t care. Heupel botched the QB battle to start the season, because he thought Milton was otherworldly. Came here day 1 and was already announced the starter…basically.

So, I can’t help but think that if Ty ends up here, Heupel will do the same thing with Ty as he did with Milton. “He has the size, skills, etc.” and Jackson will get the short end of it even though he is the one that wants to be a Vol and was here from the start.

At the end of the day, if Heupel wants him, fine.
There’s a reason I’m on a message board and not coaching.

Reactions: walkenvol
I do think it is a lazy argument in a vacuum, but when talking about the QB position, particularly, it has a bit more validity.
I think it has less than a big lineman playing against kids 100 lbs less and no different than skill players really.

Could be a bust like any QB prospect. End of day, he’s committed to Bama and could commit to just about any program in the country right now if he wanted to flip.

Reactions: 24/7vol
Im more or less just complaining. There was no validity to it. Lol

This will sound like whining, but whatever, don’t care. Heupel botched the QB battle to start the season, because he thought Milton was otherworldly. Came here day 1 and was already announced the starter…basically.

So, I can’t help but think that if Ty ends up here, Heupel will do the same thing with Ty as he did with Milton. “He has the size, skills, etc.” and Jackson will get the short end of it even though he is the one that wants to be a Vol and was here from the start.

At the end of the day, if Heupel wants him, fine.
There’s a reason I’m on a message board and not coaching.
Yeah, that wasn't intended as a shot at you. I just think that a lot of times, "competition level" is a crutch. At QB, though, I definitely think it hinders projecting a kid more than at any other position because every other position on the field comes into play; OL, WRs, and the speed and talent of the defense. Simpson just doesn't seem to elevate the play of his teammates, to me, though I haven't checked in on his senior season, at all, since he committed to Bama.

Heath Shuler and Jon Crompton come to mind. Both played in rural North Carolina against some sorry competition. Heath got to Tennessee and clearly transcended the competition level he had played against while Crompton seemed to wilt until a third of the way thru his senior season.

And I agree on your Heupel/Milton take. The staff seemed to fall in love with his physical attributes, and maybe he is nails in practice. But he doesn't have it under the lights. Maybe they can turn that around for him in time, but I have my doubts as to whether he is fixable. Not sure if Simpson would be given the same treatment, or not. Both guys were their choice, unlike Milton vs Hooker/Bailey.

Reactions: TrippieRedd
I think it has less than a big lineman playing against kids 100 lbs less and no different than skill players really.

Could be a bust like any QB prospect. End of day, he’s committed to Bama and could commit to just about any program in the country right now if he wanted to flip.
I gave a little more explanation in the post above. QB, to me, takes more positions into account towards a projection. Linemen go against linemen. You can judge their motor, do they dominate smaller kids like they should, do they easily get off blocks or hold blocks, etc. Position players, same thing...do they beat their man 1v1, do they outrun them consistenimprovise.

QB takes into account the line and how they affect your ability to stay in the pocket, WRs and TEs...can they catch the ball, can they get open, the defense...are they any threat to stop you from just throwing over the top, do they force you onto a 2nd/3rd read, do they blitz well enough to make you change a play or improvize. All those things come into play when projecting a QB.

I gave a little more explanation in the post above. QB, to me, takes more positions into account towards a projection. Linemen go against linemen. You can judge their motor, do they dominate smaller kids like they should, do they easily get off blocks or hold blocks, etc. Position players, same thing...do they beat their man 1v1, do they outrun them consistenimprovise.

QB takes into account the line and how they affect your ability to stay in the pocket, WRs and TEs...can they catch the ball, can they get open, the defense...are they any threat to stop you from just throwing over the top, do they force you onto a 2nd/3rd read, do they blitz well enough to make you change a play or improvize. All those things come into play when projecting a QB.
Sure, there are more things to take into account with QBs….against all levels of competition. Strictly speaking on competition levels, I stand by my comment.

Apparently college coaches across the country have done just that and like what they see in Simpson.

Ultimately, I trust Heup with QBs.

Last edited:
Reactions: SoilVol
Sure, there are more things to take into account with QBs….against all levels of competition. Strictly speaking on competition levels, I stand by my comment.

Apparently college coaches across the country have done just that and like what they see in Simpson.
I don’t disagree that the coaches across the country have spoken, and they are far more qualified than myself.

We certainly can agree to disagree on the main point, but how many college coaches liked what they saw in Jarrett Gurarantano, Jon Crompton, Shae Patterson, etc.? Having lots of great offers and impressing college coaches isn’t the proof in the pudding because lots of high school heroes do that and completely flop at the next level when the throwing lanes narrow, the DBs are more athletic, the DLinemen are faster, and the pocket collapses more often.

Reactions: TrippieRedd
I don’t disagree that the coaches across the country have spoken, and they are far more qualified than myself.

We certainly can agree to disagree on the main point, but how many college coaches liked what they saw in Jarrett Gurarantano, Jon Crompton, Shae Patterson, etc.? Having lots of great offers and impressing college coaches isn’t the proof in the pudding because lots of high school heroes do that and completely flop at the next level when the throwing lanes narrow, the DBs are more athletic, the DLinemen are faster, and the pocket collapses more often.
Definitely, could be a bust like any QB. Busts from all levels, all positions, and QBs stand out.

Only one starting spot.

Last edited:
I’m somewhat impressed by Ty. I’ve seen him play in person at Weatview. It is against crap competition, but at the same time he doesn’t have much to work with at the skill positions on his team either. He is very athletic and can run and escape the pocket. He reads coverages and calls out protection for his linemen. The only thing I wonder is if 1A competition can relate to big time college football. I tend to think that 1A linemen, LB’s and some skill positions can make the jump and some can’t. At the same time QB’s going from 1A competition to major college competition is a huge jump in throwing to skilled WR’s covered by skilled DB’s with the speed level differences and small throwing windows. I just don’t know how he will turn out, but his dad has done everything he can do to prepare the kid by skill training, strength training, film study, getting him into camps and putting him in positions to succeed. As a result, I think he will be successful in college, but will it be at Alabama, Tennessee or G5 I just don’t know.

Tayven is infinitely better for one very valid reason...he actually wants to be a Vol.
Yes but... bear with me here...

If Simpson flips, that means he wants to be a Vol.

If Jackson bails because Simpson flips, that means he doesn't want to be a Vol anymore.

If Simpson flips and Jackson stays, that means they both want to be Vols and they're willing to duke it out for dibs.

We're going to have 2 quarterbacks in January. Hooker/Milton and Jackson. If we can land Ty, you take him 100%. Hopefully TJ understands that 2 quarterbacks isn't enough. You need 4. So you add Ty, and then you get a transfer who has some eligibility and is willing to come. That would be best case scenario though it isn't going to happen.

I understand why that fact doesn't register with a lot of folks, but while I think he is a good prospect..I just don't get the 5* thing.

I wouldn't turn him down, but I am not going to lose sleep over him either. He is just another Tennessee punk kid that thinks he is too good to be a Vol.
"Punk kid" could whip your ass

VN Store

Back