Recruiting Forum Football Talk IV

Status
Not open for further replies.
only Volnation would be scared of a QB that couldn't get past 3rd string on the depth chart for two separate staffs... players he couldn't beat out include: JG, Milton, Shrout... hell, Brian Maurer got snaps over him at one point.. the only thing HB leaving hurts is depth for the rest of THIS year.. after Vandy, who cares... good luck to him, but other than that, lets fill his spot with someone that fits the offense is going to push everyone else in the room

He had more stars in front of his name.

Probably helped by the fact he had a 5* TE to throw to in HS.

Hooker and Milton will both be here next year. We need to get back into the habit of converting some HS QBs into WRs, so you guys can chill out about not being 4 deep at a position you can't keep more than 1 happy because you ideally never play more than 2 in a given year and 1 of those is exclusively to hand the ball off up 50.

Reactions: nicksjuzunk
Just caught up these last 20 pages. A lot of HB hate. Haven’t seen it mentioned, but it is possible that Heup gave HB the go ahead because it was mutually beneficial. HB gets a head start on his own recruitment, and him leaving allows Heup to grab another QB this cycle. If Tayven is a team guy he has to be cool with it at this point. We have 2 scholarship QBs.

good post.....I have some pretty deep rooted bias regarding this subject since I retired from it after 40 plus years....I am of the opinion that throwing these billions of dollars into all of the renewables doesn't make much sense.... investment into more pumped storage generation for meeting peak loads and nukes as base load would reduce reliance on fossil fuels much better and quicker than the so called renewables.....

Unfortunately, the money side of the push/transition is very political, which is a major reason why making sense of it all is difficult. Government intervention, more often than not, is not good for anyone. This can lead us down the road of a discussion around climate change, but I think everyone is best served if that is not discussed here. You also have arguments that renewables are cheaper (primarily on a $/kWh basis), but those arguments are debatable, especially when you consider their unpredictable nature as well as the upward pressure on cost of materials as demand increases. This is also ignoring the regulatory costs other producers have to deal with while renewables do not, plus the huge tax credits renewables have available to them. If more renewables are coming online, why is the cost to the ratepayer increasing? Data from the US EIA supports this. The wind does not always blow, and the sun does not always shine. So, this brings us back to the discussion about storage, and currently, that technology is not there yet, and neither are the transmission systems.

Just caught up these last 20 pages. A lot of HB hate. Haven’t seen it mentioned, but it is possible that Heup gave HB the go ahead because it was mutually beneficial. HB gets a head start on his own recruitment, and him leaving allows Heup to grab another QB this cycle. If Tayven is a team guy he has to be cool with it at this point. We have 2 scholarship QBs.
I'll never understand the HB hate on this site and on VQ. It's unreal. Kid has never done anything to deserve the way that our fans talk about him.

I will try to add some color as concisely as I can from a big picture perspective. First, there is naturally a lot of focus on the emergence of EVs and its impact on the demand for electricity. But, there is also a huge demand for electricity with the emergence and growth of big tech companies (e.g., Google and Amazon). These companies are huge in the cloud data storage arena. This requires a huge amount of electricity use, and it never shuts off. A Ford factory or a steel plant requires a ton of electricity, but it can be powered down or shut off. Long story short, the amount of electricity use worldwide over the next 30 to 50 years, according to some reports, is going to increase by 60%. Emerging countries like India and China use and require a tremendous amount of energy.

So, this brings into question the sources of energy generation. Obviously, there is a ton of discussion around green energy sources like wind and solar. What many don’t realize is that the technology for wind and solar is not available today to operate as a base load operator. The transmission systems are not designed to operate with intermittent power supply. The proof of this can been seen within the last 12 months in Europe and even in Texas. The research into renewables will continue to progress and probably get better. A lot of time will be needed.

Now, we think about the transition to renewables. I will not bring my personal views on the matter into the discussion. It is well known that the current and previous democratic administrations have pushed the transition in a pretty rapid fashion. They are incentivizing this through huge tax credits. The current administration is currently trying to extend these credits. However, this transition costs huge amounts of money by building wind and solar farms and the transmission systems. Hundreds of millions and billions of dollars. The utilities finance these projects through rate hikes, which negatively impacts the ratepayers. More alarmingly, the current administration is influencing the continued transition to renewables through influencing the Fed and capital markets. These entities are being influenced against lending to fossil fuel producers (i.e., coal, natural gas, oil), which limits their growth and operating capacities.

There’s a lot here, and I could discuss the matter for hours in more detail. The global supply chain issues are in everyone’s mind. I suggest people track their utility bills over the next 6 months as the weather gets cold. I suggest people research all the uses of oil byproducts. I will reiterate people research the materials involved in developing EVs (specifically the batteries), where they come from, and who are currently the largest investors.

IMO, a key takeaway is the idea of base load generation and our current infrastructure.

Thank you for providing your expertise. Most people do not go beyond the "I wants" of the politicians and themselves to think through the ramifications on a national as well as global scale.

I'll never understand the HB hate on this site and on VQ. It's unreal. Kid has never done anything to deserve the way that our fans talk about him.

Truth.

I don't think his best option for 1. starting 2. having a good career is staying in the SEC. I'd move to the BIG 10 or the ACC if I was him and good to a solid/good team (UNC, Wake Forest, Pitt, etc.) and go spend 2 or 3 years winning 7+ games and racking up some draft buzz type stats while there.

Truth.

I don't think his best option for 1. starting 2. having a good career is staying in the SEC. I'd move to the BIG 10 or the ACC if I was him and good to a solid/good team (UNC, Wake Forest, Pitt, etc.) and go spend 2 or 3 years winning 7+ games and racking up some draft buzz type stats while there.
With good coaching HB has all the tools. He knows football, he's accurate with the ball, and has potential to be really good. He has to speed up his clock in the pocket. I don't see any reason he can't do exactly what Pickett has done. Pickett was the definition of average the last two years. This year he's made himself into a top 5 draft pick.

If HB gets the right coaching, he can develop into a really good QB. but for whatever reason so many want to label him as a bust because he didn't light the world on fire his freshman year and because he's playing behind Hooker who has turned out to be one of the best QB's in the SEC

It’s crazy. They do that to all players who transfer. And we will be hearing about HB’s career from now till he gets out of football, trashing him, gloating when he messes up or gets benched, etc etc. strange way to treat a ~20 year old kid. I’m glad no one did that to me at that age!

It’s crazy. They do that to all players who transfer. And we will be hearing about HB’s career from now till he gets out of football, trashing him, gloating when he messes up or gets benched, etc etc. strange way to treat a ~20 year old kid. I’m glad no one did that to me at that age!
I'm all for trashing certain transfers like Henry and the guys who went to OU. It's different when a guy isn't going to play here. I don't blame HB for transferring. I won't like it if he picks an SEC east school, that would change the convo, but I don't mind it when a kid who is down the depth chart transfers out.

Unfortunately, the money side of the push/transition is very political, which is a major reason why making sense of it all is difficult. Government intervention, more often than not, is not good for anyone. This can lead us down the road of a discussion around climate change, but I think everyone is best served if that is not discussed here. You also have arguments that renewables are cheaper (primarily on a $/kWh basis), but those arguments are debatable, especially when you consider their unpredictable nature as well as the upward pressure on cost of materials as demand increases. This is also ignoring the regulatory costs other producers have to deal with while renewables do not, plus the huge tax credits renewables have available to them. If more renewables are coming online, why is the cost to the ratepayer increasing? Data from the US EIA supports this. The wind does not always blow, and the sun does not always shine. So, this brings us back to the discussion about storage, and currently, that technology is not there yet, and neither are the transmission systems.

amen brother

Reactions: LynxVol
With good coaching HB has all the tools. He knows football, he's accurate with the ball, and has potential to be really good. He has to speed up his clock in the pocket. I don't see any reason he can't do exactly what Pickett has done. Pickett was the definition of average the last two years. This year he's made himself into a top 5 draft pick.

If HB gets the right coaching, he can develop into a really good QB. but for whatever reason so many want to label him as a bust because he didn't light the world on fire his freshman year and because he's playing behind Hooker who has turned out to be one of the best QB's in the SEC

Yep my thoughts as well.

Thing is in the SEC there are a handful of OL good enough to protect him until he figures out how to speed up the clock in the pocket. And of those OLs how many of them are QB shopping? So to stay in the SEC I think at best he'd be moving to a lesser team than UT if he was actually going to have a shot to start next year.

In the ACC I think honestly Clemson may be the only team that I don't think he could at least compete to be the new starter. That's me assuming that UNC & Wake Forest lose their starters to the draft.

What is going on up in this forum? Been away from the recruiting forum awhile, and find myself confused to step back in. So much has changed with like random question threads, thread title protocol violations, and an abundance of discombobulated portal threads. Speaking of which, should the portal threads be standardized to something like *Portal* Juan Vasquez, UTSA Punter?
Infiltration of the FF idiots.

I may be completely making this up but didn’t we tell Tayven that he was our guy and only QB we were going to recruit.

I may be completely making this up but didn’t we tell Tayven that he was our guy and only QB we were going to recruit.
Maybe. But things change when you have 3 guys leave for the portal Which, when Milton does, that will be our situation. He will understand that you need more than 2 QB's on the roster. Although it is more likely that we grab a guy from the portal than add another to this class. But I think that's going to be difficult because no one who is a top guy is going to want to come here when Hooker is established as the guy. Our best hope would be to get someone with several years left who is willing to wait, learn the system, and compete with TJ in 2023. But those guys are hard to find

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back