Recruiting Forum Football Talk IV

Status
Not open for further replies.
So this is a BYE week and lots of self-scouting will go on this week....what are 3 things you want to see the coaches/team fix between now and the Kentucky game?

1. Figure out how to avoid Corral 2.0 happening. Levis like to run and built bigger and will be willing to run all day if we allow it. We have to have that figured out. I think we may have more success with it as we don’t have to worry as much about their big play over the top like Ole Miss/Bama.

2. Replace Flowers with Theo and play Slaughter at Nickle. Flowers has a lot of tackles but he isn’t making any impactful plays in secondary on the ball. He isn’t breaking up passes, getting TFls, getting hands on balls. He is getting cheap tackles and if there is a guy I question his effort at times it’s him. Slaughter is making too many plays to be on the bench. Put your best crew out there and increase dynamics.

3. Find 3rd RB and figure out a way to get Hyatt(deep ball) and Callaway(short routes in space) back involved pass game for the final stretch. Those 2 have an explosiveness that is another notch from the starters we need to see it

No one should be claiming ecred or eblame for criticism or praise of the hire until a couple years from now. We've had coaches look good in individual years and fail completely. Coaching success is not defined by "looks better for half a year than prior bad coach."

That said, it's encouraging that his first games are looking so good with a rough roster. Year 3 is when we can determine if the hire was a good one.

I totally agree. I feel pretty confident after 8 games that Heupel can coach a team well based on his performance so far. I also think he did a great job with the assistant hires.

The question for me now is can he build a program. Bring in good players, retain assistants or replace/upgrade when you lose one or one underperforms, manage the fans/boosters/administration, build a team culture over multiple seasons, develop talent over multiple years, etc...

Lots of things left to prove although I think he's off to a good start. 4-4 seemed about right for this point in the season but the way he got there has encouraged me. 4 blowout wins, 2 close losses, and playing with Alabama into the 4th quarter.

New nugs: thinks Cade Mays will probably be ready by Kentucky but it is early….. Thinks Harrison Bailey is transferring….. didn’t work out with the team and came to pick up his stuff at the facility.
I like Harrison Bailey so this makes me a bit sad. He seems to be a young man of good character.

I did not want him. Thought it would be a huge expensive mistake. I was going to accept it .
We got the coach we needed .

I’ll admit that I was not on board with hiring Heupel, and I quietly kept it to myself through the offseason, because I didn’t want to be deemed as a negaVol. I was definitely not bought in and was melancholy heading into the season. My biggest concern was recruiting and that his defenses were progressively worse each season, while the offense did somewhat maintain its production. Seeing UCF this year under Gus makes me feel better about that situation. As for UT, the fact that we’re fielding the first competent first year product since Kiffin in 09 has me really optimistic that UT has finally found its guy. And what I really love is the near 180 our offense has made from last year. Last years offense was as bad as I’ve seen in the last 20 years. If Pruitt was still here, we’re not beating Mizzou and we’re likely having to grind out a W against a bad SC team.

In honor of U of Texas joining the SEC. Welcome Texas fans.

68893_757474817788_1933008_n.jpg
I have it on good authority---her cousin is a big Bama fan

I wonder if Harrison ends up somewhere like Auburn. Bobo is the OC there and with his GA connections on QBs I could see that being his landing spot. If I were him though I’d go outside of the SEC into a conference with slower defenders off the edge.
If I’m Bailey I’m going to USCJr where they need a good QB

Reactions: you
Franklin is a bigger hire but none of us can stand him….. we would overlook it if he was Nick Saban but he is no where close to that level of a coach.
I hated the man when he was at Candy and I told my wife that I was gonna turn in my Vol card if they hired him and I've been a faithful Vol fan since the early 60's. I was just gonna walk away

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back