‘21 NY PG Zakai Zeigler (Tennessee Signee)

Basilio saying that Ziegler is the best offensive player on the team (not entirely sure I buy that, but maybe). Says he’s an awful defender, at this point, however, which is likely to keep him from much playing time.

Now the good news…allegedly, the staff views him as a Jared Harper (Auburn guard) type once everything clicks for him on both ends of the floor. That would be a total steal if that is his ceiling.

Reactions: berryvol
Basilio saying that Ziegler is the best offensive player on the team (not entirely sure I buy that, but maybe). Says he’s an awful defender, at this point, however, which is likely to keep him from much playing time.

Now the good news…allegedly, the staff views him as a Jared Harper (Auburn guard) type once everything clicks for him on both ends of the floor. That would be a total steal if that is his ceiling.

Well considering Barnes demands defense, he probably won’t see much playing time unless it’s mop up duty.

Hard to imagine he’s a better offensive player than Chandler but ya never know. He may surprise us all and become All-Sec.

Hard to believe he’s an awful defender considering that was considered one of his biggest strengths and thought that he would challenge Chandler on that end and that’s a big reason they wanted him here this year. I can see his shooting being elite from 3 but hard to think the rest of his game is good enough that he’s our best offensive player.

Hard to believe he’s an awful defender considering that was considered one of his biggest strengths and thought that he would challenge Chandler on that end and that’s a big reason they wanted him here this year. I can see his shooting being elite from 3 but hard to think the rest of his game is good enough that he’s our best offensive player.
Mashack’s greatest strength was his defense, too, but apparently he is behind in that area at Tennessee (or was upon arrival). My guess is for those guys that it is less about technique and on-ball defense, and more about knowing when to gamble for a steal and when to lay back, or when to slide over to be the help defender and when to stay with your man; team defensive concepts.

Well considering Barnes demands defense, he probably won’t see much playing time unless it’s mop up duty.

Hard to imagine he’s a better offensive player than Chandler but ya never know. He may surprise us all and become All-Sec.
He may, but I think the staff is taking a long-term approach with him. I think the surprise is in the fact they likely didn’t think he’d be able to contribute in year one, and so he’d redshirt, but now they are faced with a decision about what to do with him, this year.

Zeigler's overall defense might struggle right now, but I have a feeling it will get a lot better in a year or two. He just has that attitude that coaches love. He's absolutely driven and takes on any obstacle in his way.

Plus, I'd also say he's more of a "pesky" defender right now than a lockdown guy. He's good at getting his hands in passing lanes and getting steals from what I've seen.

The other thing I noticed about that is he’s 5-8, 158. That’s Johnny Darden size. And yes, I realize nobody on this board remembers Johnny Darden!😉😂

The other thing I noticed about that is he’s 5-8, 158. That’s Johnny Darden size. And yes, I realize nobody on this board remembers Johnny Darden!😉😂
I remember Johnny D. the pride of Springfield, TN. Good player and dished the ball to King and Ernie G.

I remember Johnny D. the pride of Springfield, TN. Good player and dished the ball to King and Ernie G.

I recall that he could dunk with ease, though. However, that may have been with a trampoline. I've slept since then!

No knock on ZZZ, but I still don’t see how any 5’-8” player fits into CRB’s switching defense?

Darden was listed at 5’10”. It seems like TN has had a regular or two listed at 5’9”. I don’t recall any regular ever listed at 5’8”. That’s getting close to Keith Mister Jennings and Spud Webb height. Muggsy was 5’3”.

Dickie Johnston 5’8”
Ralph Parton 5’7”
Pee-Wee Gash 5’7”

Everybody else since DJ seems to be 5’10” or more

Darden was listed at 5’10”. It seems like TN has had a regular or two listed at 5’9”. I don’t recall any regular ever listed at 5’8”. That’s getting close to Keith Mister Jennings and Spud Webb height. Muggsy was 5’3”.
My work study job was at Gibbs. I hung out with those guys a bit. JD may have been listed as 5-10, but he was 5-8, maybe even 5-7. Tiny guy. Great player. Fast and creative. However, his size is a big reason DeVoe replaced him with Bert Bertelkamp eventually.

My work study job was at Gibbs. I hung out with those guys a bit. JD may have been listed as 5-10, but he was 5-8, maybe even 5-7. Tiny guy. Great player. Fast and creative. However, his size is a big reason DeVoe replaced him with Bert Bertelkamp eventually.

Darden almost drowning in a hotel swimming pool at an away game probably had more to do with him playing fewer minutes rather than his height.

VN Store

Back