My opinion on '22 recruits

I will agree you can`t Blame Holly for any recruiting issues she excel there. And i`m not taking sides just telling the truth.

I was also frustrated with the way we played under Holly. I just thought we were better on paper than we were on the floor. Remember we beat both finals teams in the same year. I came to believe that she was unable to motivate the team or she had lost some respect From team members. Holly is still is a good person and she gave her all to the university. We now have a new coach and Holly bashing does not go with VFL culture that we want to showcase. Go Vols🍊🍊🍊🍊

I was also frustrated with the way we played under Holly. I just thought we were better on paper than we were on the floor. Remember we beat both finals teams in the same year. I came to believe that she was unable to motivate the team or she had lost some respect From team members. Holly is still is a good person and she gave her all to the university. We now have a new coach and Holly bashing does not go with VFL culture that we want to showcase. Go Vols🍊🍊🍊🍊
I agree but your analysis does not go far enough. We are beyond Holly, no matter how one wants to characterize her tenure, which ended some time ago. The LVs program is in more than capable and competent hands. Simply put, the LVs program is under new management. Time to move on. Continued bashing of Holly has not won a single game to date and will not win any games going forward. I believe looking forward benefits this program way more than beating the dead horse of bashing the former head coach. Old news is old news. The future is bright for this program and the current coach, her staff, and great roster of student-athletes will turn heads this upcoming season. GBO.

I agree on trying to get the "in state" kids all to often they go else where bc TN either slow plays or doesn't show much interest. Then they go to a school that comes and beats US.... it has happened more times than I'd like to say. We have kids in younger classes right now I think this is going to happen to
TOP kids in the state and TN is shunning them. It may come back to bite them in the butt again
Most in state kids would give their right leg to play for the LADY VOLS. We need those bleed orange kids in our program the ones that will give their all to TN and not transfer as soon as they get here. JMO

I agree on trying to get the "in state" kids all to often they go else where bc TN either slow plays or doesn't show much interest. Then they go to a school that comes and beats US.... it has happened more times than I'd like to say. We have kids in younger classes right now I think this is going to happen to
TOP kids in the state and TN is shunning them. It may come back to bite them in the butt again
Most in state kids would give their right leg to play for the LADY VOLS. We need those bleed orange kids in our program the ones that will give their all to TN and not transfer as soon as they get here. JMO

Like this one,,,I have seen Madi hit threes as consistently as most players can hit elbow shots,,,she's a get now,,,and STILL has three years to mature 2024...she is a top 30 on two lists, Bluestar and Naismith #28 ( Girls 2024 ) and still working harder than ever to better her game...for star-watchers...she has 5!

Like this one,,,I have seen Madi hit threes as consistently as most players can hit elbow shots,,,she's a get now,,,and STILL has three years to mature 2024...she is a top 30 on two lists, Bluestar and Naismith #28 ( Girls 2024 ) and still working harder than ever to better her game...for star-watchers...she has 5!

I'm just curious your opinion or anyones opinion of Madi and why TN isn't pursuing her HARDER.
She is a TOP 2 kid in TN in 2024 class im certain and maybe top 50 nationally, and even higher at her position. Plus the fact she is a DIE HARD, ORANGE BLOODED, TN kid through and through what more could you ask for. Any thoughts JUMPER or anyone ???

I'm just curious your opinion or anyones opinion of Madi and why TN isn't pursuing her HARDER.
She is a TOP 2 kid in TN in 2024 class im certain and maybe top 50 nationally, and even higher at her position. Plus the fact she is a DIE HARD, ORANGE BLOODED, TN kid through and through what more could you ask for. Any thoughts JUMPER or anyone ???

It's as old as time itself...even Jesus said it...
“A prophet is not without honor except in his own town, among his relatives and in his own home.”
This is true for more than religion...

The grass is always greener in another yard (state),,,
but is still has to be mowed!

And someone in another state,,wants your lawn!

speaking of another state, I will be in London KY tomorrow for "KY Takeover at South Laurel HS" looking at top players from KY, WVa & Ohio...Looking forward to seeing some good round-ball!

Last edited:
I will agree you can`t Blame Holly for any recruiting issues she excel there. And i`m not taking sides just telling the truth.

Holly recruited all of the players currently on the roster now who are juniors or older except transfers in. That means she recruited Key, Horston, Burrell, Rennie, and Saunders. If Burrell leaves after this year, and the others return for their senior years, then there will still be 4 Holly recruits on Harper's fourth year team.

Reactions: NoBackBoard
Holly recruited all of the players currently on the roster now who are juniors or older except transfers in. That means she recruited Key, Horston, Burrell, Rennie, and Saunders. If Burrell leaves after this year, and the others return for their senior years, then there will still be 4 Holly recruits on Harper's fourth-year team.
Holly may have recruited them, but Kellie retained, coached, and is developing them. The improvement in Kasi's overall game in just one year was amazing. Had Kellie had her for four years, Kasi would have been a beast in the SEC. Burrell has flourished and I believe Key and Horston are on the verge of breakout seasons. Player development the last couple of years has been really noticeable and impactful. I think the former staff recruited highly ranked players and just expected them to flourish. Doesn't matter what your ranking is coming out of high school, you still have to be pushed and trained to reach your potential and I think that is happening within the program now. Really happy to see that!

Holly may have recruited them, but Kellie retained, coached, and is developing them. The improvement in Kasi's overall game in just one year was amazing. Had Kellie had her for four years, Kasi would have been a beast in the SEC. Burrell has flourished and I believe Key and Horston are on the verge of breakout seasons. Player development the last couple of years has been really noticeable and impactful. I think the former staff recruited highly ranked players and just expected them to flourish. Doesn't matter what your ranking is coming out of high school, you still have to be pushed and trained to reach your potential and I think that is happening within the program now. Really happy to see that!
Agreed 100%. And this is why we should be looking forward instead of back to the Holly years. It's time to move on. Too much time has been wasted on this board looking back. The program is in strong, capable, and competent hands. We have the leadership. Let's go 'em with this coaching staff and great roster of players. It is going to be a great year.

Holly recruited “ranked” players, while other programs recruited players that were good at basketball. KJH is still playing catch up in recruiting from a big shift in philosophy. Players like Davis and Burrell have progressed much better with our current staff than under our last regime.

Those ranked players have looked just fine at basketball in the WNBA and elsewhere once they left here. Holly just didn't develop them, or utilize their talents properly, and she was terrible at running a disciplined program and keeping everyone in line.

I'm wondering if the change of 3 point distance this year will have a big effect on the women's game, especially teams that are used to shooting a lot of 3's.
It is only slightly over a foot further back, but the corner 3's may be a little more difficult for the women to get used to because of where the line is in comparison to the sideline. Also, I believe this may open up the middle for good inside players and allow for better driving lanes to get to the basket if we have players that can knock the 3 down consistently. Any Thoughts on this change?

Major changes are coming to NCAA women's basketball. The NCAA Playing Rules Oversight Panel approved changes to the 3-point line that sees the distance moving to 22 feet, 1 ¾ inches, matching that of the international distance. This is a move back from the previous collegiate distance of 20 feet, nine inches.

The NCAA Playing Rules Oversight Panel today approved moving the 3-point line to the international distance of 22 feet, 1¾ inches in women’s basketball, beginning with the 2021-22 season.
The NCAA Women’s Basketball Rules Committee proposed the change after studying statistical trends that showed the number of attempted and successful 3-point field goal attempts reached all-time high levels in all three divisions during the 2020-21 season.
In Division I, women’s teams attempted 16.4 3-point field goal attempts per game last season and made an average of 6.1 shots beyond the arc, which had been set at 20 feet, 9 inches.
Division II statistics showed an average of 20.5 3-point field goals attempted per game, with 6.4 made on average during the 2020-21 season. The Division III statistics were 19.3 and 5.7, respectively
A slight change like this will change long term how coaches design their offenses. Defense too I guess.

I'm wondering if the change of 3 point distance this year will have a big effect on the women's game, especially teams that are used to shooting a lot of 3's.
It is only slightly over a foot further back, but the corner 3's may be a little more difficult for the women to get used to because of where the line is in comparison to the sideline. Also, I believe this may open up the middle for good inside players and allow for better driving lanes to get to the basket if we have players that can knock the 3 down consistently. Any Thoughts on this change?

Major changes are coming to NCAA women's basketball. The NCAA Playing Rules Oversight Panel approved changes to the 3-point line that sees the distance moving to 22 feet, 1 ¾ inches, matching that of the international distance. This is a move back from the previous collegiate distance of 20 feet, nine inches.

The NCAA Playing Rules Oversight Panel today approved moving the 3-point line to the international distance of 22 feet, 1¾ inches in women’s basketball, beginning with the 2021-22 season.
The NCAA Women’s Basketball Rules Committee proposed the change after studying statistical trends that showed the number of attempted and successful 3-point field goal attempts reached all-time high levels in all three divisions during the 2020-21 season.
In Division I, women’s teams attempted 16.4 3-point field goal attempts per game last season and made an average of 6.1 shots beyond the arc, which had been set at 20 feet, 9 inches.
Division II statistics showed an average of 20.5 3-point field goals attempted per game, with 6.4 made on average during the 2020-21 season. The Division III statistics were 19.3 and 5.7, respectively
Since most women shot from behind the men's line already, there will not be much of a difference. Maybe 1 to 2 percent, no more than that.

Reactions: Orange Maniac
This is where Tennessee fails in women's sports, in both basketball and softball. The model of chasing has not worked, win your state first each year in recruiting before you branch out nationally. Unfortunately with mediocre products on the display in football, women's sports (basketball and softball) and kids being shunned has caused a major delay in progress for recruiting now and later. Example, this past weekend at the LV softball game you had an entire infield from CA with the only exception being the P, who was from PA.

This is where Tennessee fails in women's sports, in both basketball and softball. The model of chasing has not worked, win your state first each year in recruiting before you branch out nationally. Unfortunately with mediocre products on the display in football, women's sports (basketball and softball) and kids being shunned has caused a major delay in progress for recruiting now and later. Example, this past weekend at the LV softball game you had an entire infield from CA with the only exception being the P, who was from PA.

Got to say it...this hits home.
no pun intended

True we got Justine coming in, but she can't play the whole game
This kid hits 3's like most can't hit 2's

Just because they are from Tn does not mean they can play in the SEC.

Neither does being from the other 49 if the in-state kid is on par or better.
Just curious 22 thru 24 classes which Tn kids do you think can physically match up vs S Carolina, Kentucky, Ole Miss etc. seriously I am trying to educate myself. These teams are so physical.

This simply isn't the case. The sports are not regional anymore. The product is not regional anymore. You go where the talent is. You go where your relationships are strongest. That's how it works. That's how it's worked for some time now. You might make decisions to invest in relationships based on who you can convince to come, but you have to go to where the talent is. Distance from home is important for some, unimportant for others, and can change depending on variables. The idea that you can stick to your state and win anything is archaic.

For fun, I look at Dawn Staley's first five recruiting classes at South Carolina, and found 1 player listed in the recruiting rankings from South Carolina. All their other players were from places like Georgia, Texas, etc. Vic Shaefer's first few classes at Mississippi State were bereft of players from Mississippi save Victoria Vivians (who was certainly a big deal, but also the only major name from Mississippi).

I appreciate wanting to give local kids a chance, and if they're the best player on the board you certainly go get 'em, but I don't see the logic or argument for restricting recruiting to your own state.

Got to say it...this hits home.
no pun intended

True we got Justine coming in, but she can't play the whole game
This kid hits 3's like most can't hit 2's

If getting local players to stay home is so important, Name which of the ESPN top players that you want for 2022?

That's going to be difficult because there aren't any. So it makes a lot of sense to chase after a local player and not spend that time on better players who are not local but still interested in Lady Vol basketball.

The local player angle only works if the local player is a top ranked candidate that can have an impact on the program. In 2023 you can get a 5'8" and a 5'10" guard. So have your recruiters spend a lot of time on them and give token to Ashlyn Shade or Madison Booker who have UT in their finals.

Coach, I know this false premise hits home to you because you are actively involved with a 2024 and have almost promised to deliver her to UT.

This simply isn't the case. The sports are not regional anymore. The product is not regional anymore. You go where the talent is. You go where your relationships are strongest. That's how it works. That's how it's worked for some time now. You might make decisions to invest in relationships based on who you can convince to come, but you have to go to where the talent is. Distance from home is important for some, unimportant for others, and can change depending on variables. The idea that you can stick to your state and win anything is archaic.

For fun, I look at Dawn Staley's first five recruiting classes at South Carolina, and found 1 player listed in the recruiting rankings from South Carolina. All their other players were from places like Georgia, Texas, etc. Vic Shaefer's first few classes at Mississippi State were bereft of players from Mississippi save Victoria Vivians (who was certainly a big deal, but also the only major name from Mississippi).

I appreciate wanting to give local kids a chance, and if they're the best player on the board you certainly go get 'em, but I don't see the logic or argument for restricting recruiting to your own state.
Where did I say restrict? I said win your state first. You don't win them all, but you make sure I don't disagree with you're what you're saying about region but if you see schools like WVU, Texas AM, Ole Miss, LSU can come get kids in your backyard in the two female sports I mentioned you need to revisit relationships or value you place in Tennessee. Believe we both understand "how it works", we differ on why we believe it should remain the same.

If getting local players to stay home is so important, Name which of the ESPN top players that you want for 2022?

That's going to be difficult because there aren't any. So it makes a lot of sense to chase after a local player and not spend that time on better players who are not local but still interested in Lady Vol basketball.

The local player angle only works if the local player is a top ranked candidate that can have an impact on the program. In 2023 you can get a 5'8" and a 5'10" guard. So have your recruiters spend a lot of time on them and give token to Ashlyn Shade or Madison Booker who have UT in their finals.

Coach, I know this false premise hits home to you because you are actively involved with a 2024 and have almost promised to deliver her to UT.
I don't know as much about recruiting aspect in the basketball game in regards to rankings as I do in softball but the first comment stands out as an issue. Rankings are subjective and for the most part meaningless if you can't coach them up once they hit campus. Tennessee mens basketball under Barnes rebounded back to the top with guys like Admiral 3*, the next year all 3*'s in Grant Williams, Fulkerson, Bowden and Bone (Bone ranked 146). A great coaching staff can evaluate talent, needs regardless of recruiting rankings. Too many believe recruiting services are exact science.

I mean obviously you can't take every instate kid that wants to be a lady vol and play at TN, I think what most are suggesting is if you have a top kid ranked maybe or talent wise or whatever maybe they should give the a chance I mean its not like your just falling off the radar by doing so if that kid has rhe skill and talent. Now as far as how many kids from TN can play in the SEC bc its physical 22-24 that can be a tricky question. How many of you think 24 jaloni Cambridge can play at the SEC level at 5'5 115 lbs, major talent problaly best PG in state or nationally can she match up physically probably not but that is where the coach has to come into play right? So to just base it off can a kid play thru the physical part is foolish. Look what the smallest of guards have done to TN in the past, they put a butt whippn on them. If a kid can play they can play but alot the time its are they in the right situation, right coaching style, right environment to thrive.
24 Jaloni Cambridge 5'5 115lbs is a top PG state and nationally
24 Madi hawk 5'10 150lbs is the top SG in the state in 24 class and is ranked nationally, she can also play PG. I would love to see these 2 together
But if both go else where which I am predicting it will be a shame.
Jmo

Reactions: Volfaninfl2

VN Store

Back