My opinion on '22 recruits

I've seen good play from 15 feet do the same. Don't get me wrong, as a fan I love the 3 pointer. It's just that I've seen too many games where the better shooting intermediate game won.

Rickster my friend, nothing gets the crowd, and the players, into the game like a deep 3 ball...The sound of the popping nets is like the crack of Indiana Jones's whip cracking; it's glorious!

I'm wondering if the change of 3 point distance this year will have a big effect on the women's game, especially teams that are used to shooting a lot of 3's.
It is only slightly over a foot further back, but the corner 3's may be a little more difficult for the women to get used to because of where the line is in comparison to the sideline. Also, I believe this may open up the middle for good inside players and allow for better driving lanes to get to the basket if we have players that can knock the 3 down consistently. Any Thoughts on this change?

Major changes are coming to NCAA women's basketball. The NCAA Playing Rules Oversight Panel approved changes to the 3-point line that sees the distance moving to 22 feet, 1 ¾ inches, matching that of the international distance. This is a move back from the previous collegiate distance of 20 feet, nine inches.

The NCAA Playing Rules Oversight Panel today approved moving the 3-point line to the international distance of 22 feet, 1¾ inches in women’s basketball, beginning with the 2021-22 season.
The NCAA Women’s Basketball Rules Committee proposed the change after studying statistical trends that showed the number of attempted and successful 3-point field goal attempts reached all-time high levels in all three divisions during the 2020-21 season.
In Division I, women’s teams attempted 16.4 3-point field goal attempts per game last season and made an average of 6.1 shots beyond the arc, which had been set at 20 feet, 9 inches.
Division II statistics showed an average of 20.5 3-point field goals attempted per game, with 6.4 made on average during the 2020-21 season. The Division III statistics were 19.3 and 5.7, respectively

I'm wondering if the change of 3 point distance this year will have a big effect on the women's game, especially teams that are used to shooting a lot of 3's.
It is only slightly over a foot further back, but the corner 3's may be a little more difficult for the women to get used to because of where the line is in comparison to the sideline. Also, I believe this may open up the middle for good inside players and allow for better driving lanes to get to the basket if we have players that can knock the 3 down consistently. Any Thoughts on this change?

Major changes are coming to NCAA women's basketball. The NCAA Playing Rules Oversight Panel approved changes to the 3-point line that sees the distance moving to 22 feet, 1 ¾ inches, matching that of the international distance. This is a move back from the previous collegiate distance of 20 feet, nine inches.

The NCAA Playing Rules Oversight Panel today approved moving the 3-point line to the international distance of 22 feet, 1¾ inches in women’s basketball, beginning with the 2021-22 season.
The NCAA Women’s Basketball Rules Committee proposed the change after studying statistical trends that showed the number of attempted and successful 3-point field goal attempts reached all-time high levels in all three divisions during the 2020-21 season.
In Division I, women’s teams attempted 16.4 3-point field goal attempts per game last season and made an average of 6.1 shots beyond the arc, which had been set at 20 feet, 9 inches.
Division II statistics showed an average of 20.5 3-point field goals attempted per game, with 6.4 made on average during the 2020-21 season. The Division III statistics were 19.3 and 5.7, respectively
When the men moved the line back the same distance, their 3pt shooting percentage dropped from 34.4% to 33.3%. I would expect to see a similar decline in the women's game.

They are falling right into Justines hands.

I don't think it will have much if any affect on the three post game. Most three points shots are usually a couple of feet behind the old three point line and have plenty of strength to shoot the ball from 22 feet. If fact if may open the three points game up a little more and the shooters might be more open for their shots. Today's players are much bigger and stronger than those who played 15-20 years ago.

That is less a reflection on her classes and more a reflection on Warlick. And that is why she is no longer here. A lot of the players she failed to develop are doing fine now in the WNBA. It is unkind, and unfair to blame them for her failings.

Having great talent is necessary, but not sufficient to win championships. Just like development is necessary but not sufficient. You have to have both. So yeah, we absolutely can judge whether enough talent is being brought in, and do so independently of whether it is developed properly. To think otherwise would be like saying we can't judge the quality of the ingredients until we taste the cake. That is obviously not true. If you are missing the eggs, or the milk has gone over then you aren't going to end up with much of a cake regardless of how good a cook you are. And conversely, if the ingredients are good but the cake is overcooked we know the chef is the problem.
Don’t understand the cooking references but blaming Holly Warlick for any of our current recruiting issues is kind of crazy. She is the blame for the mediocre situation we are currently in, but she is no longer the face of the program.

Don’t understand the cooking references but blaming Holly Warlick for any of our current recruiting issues is kind of crazy. She is the blame for the mediocre situation we are currently in, but she is no longer the face of the program.

it takes four complete seasons to make a collegiate team/org "yours",,,until then it has many ghosts and prior influences.

On year 5,,, that goes out the door!

Reactions: JohnnyPayne
I don't think it will have much if any affect on the three post game. Most three points shots are usually a couple of feet behind the old three point line and have plenty of strength to shoot the ball from 22 feet. If fact if may open the three points game up a little more and the shooters might be more open for their shots. Today's players are much bigger and stronger than those who played 15-20 years ago.

Proof of global warming female basketball players getting bigger.

Four years is a long time. Just saying basketball is not like football.
I'm not say improvement or change shouldn't be happening,,,just that the residual from recruiting and sometimes staff is there until it is fully yours.

Fortunately Coach K does not seem to have any "cancers" in the remaining CHW players. And the one I would have questioned most, is no longer a LV either

Four years is a long time. Just saying basketball is not like football.
It is very much different than football. ESPN lists their top high school players; 300 for football and 100 for basketball. The pool of top players is much smaller for basketball than football. Football top 100, basketball top 25 and the number of players with the ability to compete for a national championship is typically top 5. Also in women's basketball there are usually no more than 6 or 8 programs competing for the cream of the crop. These ladies are recruited in the 8th grade and relationships are established in the 9th grade. Once programs have established relationships with a player it is very difficult to crack the circle. Hence KJH's ability to crack the top echelon of recruits were in the 8th grade when she was hired. We are seeing her now have relationships with the top players and she will be close to getting them and may break through in 2022. In 2023, as I have said many times, she begins to strike gold with the players who were 3 years old during the last Lady Vol championship

I would say year three is when you would like to see things really start trending upward...
Exactly! Each of KJH's classes has ranked higher than the other. This year she has ESPN #16 and visits from others in the top 20. The trending is there. My gut feeling is 2 more ranked recruits in 22 and in 2023 we see marked improvements in visits and commits.

I will agree you can`t Blame Holly for any recruiting issues she excel there. And i`m not taking sides just telling the truth.

Reactions: stlvolsfan and Lucy
It is very much different than football. ESPN lists their top high school players; 300 for football and 100 for basketball. The pool of top players is much smaller for basketball than football. Football top 100, basketball top 25 and the number of players with the ability to compete for a national championship is typically top 5. Also in women's basketball there are usually no more than 6 or 8 programs competing for the cream of the crop. These ladies are recruited in the 8th grade and relationships are established in the 9th grade. Once programs have established relationships with a player it is very difficult to crack the circle. Hence KJH's ability to crack the top echelon of recruits were in the 8th grade when she was hired. We are seeing her now have relationships with the top players and she will be close to getting them and may break through in 2022. In 2023, as I have said many times, she begins to strike gold with the players who were 3 years old during the last Lady Vol championship
Easy way to crack the circle and easy equity is win the state players first. Not saying you get them all but if you can have your best in state players listen then you've done your job. So far they didn't do that with the 2022's. As they are headed out of state.

No one blames her for our recruiting woes now. She was a great recruiter.

Easy way to crack the circle and easy equity is win the state players first. Not saying you get them all but if you can have your best in state players listen then you've done your job. So far they didn't do that with the 2022's. As they are headed out of state.
In the Class of 2023, should the LVs go hard for either TN recruit Jada Harrison or Cori Allen or both of them? Our primary targets, in my view, should be McGhee, Del Rosario, and Shade. (Of course, recruiting will not be limited just to primary targets, for obvious reasons.) However, if you land your primary targets, you may not have room on the roster for in-state recruits.

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
In the Class of 2023, should the LVs go hard for either TN recruit Jada Harrison or Cori Allen or both of them? Our primary targets, in my view, should be McGhee, Del Rosario, and Shade. (Of course, recruiting will not be limited just to primary targets, for obvious reasons.) However, if you land your primary targets, you may not have room on the roster for in-state recruits.
Go all in on all. Numbers dictate decisions and timelines of primary targets. Win the state first

Reactions: 37620VOL
Cori looks like ND to me id go in for Jada

Reactions: Gilmore

Which 2022’s ….ranked players from Tennessee are headed out of State ? Who …..? And where are they going ? 🤷‍♂️

Great thinking. Just one problem is that for 2022 Women's basketball players there is no Tennessee player ranked in the top 60 of ESPN.

Great thinking. Just one problem is that for 2022 Women's basketball players there is no Tennessee player ranked in the top 60 of ESPN.
Rankings are subjective. WVU beat us last year but takes a 2022 from Knoxville. I only see one problem, we get wrapped around rankings. High rankings are nice but don’t mean much if you lose.

VN Store

Back