Vols release depth chart ahead of Tennessee Tech game

I would probably go with Hooker over Milton at this point for a number of reasons, but mostly because he has proven to be a more accurate passer and is better in space with the ball in his hands. My main with your post seemed to be you were implying that Hooker wasn't running the offense efficiently or that there was some large gap between the 2 QBs. Hooker ran the offense just fine, regardless of how it's designed to be run.

I don't think there is a large gap between the 2 qbs, but in order for this offensive scheme to be as successful as it can, he's got to run it faster. If we aren't going to control the clock which neither version will, then we to get more plays and Milton's will do that. Getting killed in time of possession is not recipe for success if you run less plays than your opponent. Pitt had 13 minutes more in possession and ran more 16 more plays than we did.

I'm not trying hard on anything. My original statement is that I don't see that Hooker is better than Milton at the run game.

Yes, he ran 620 and averaged 5 yards a carry in the 20 season. The season before he ran for the same attempts and averaged 3 yards a carry. So if we are looking at the whole body of work, then lets include the whole body of stats. So his run game is averaging 4.2 to Milton's 3.7. As you mentioned, Milton wasn't a big part of the run game at Michigan, but there isn't much difference as far as per carry average. Through our first two games, Hooker is averaging 5.4 and Milton is averaging 5.2. Half a yard per carry or less is not really distancing himself. Is he a better scrambler? Sure. Will he scramble more because they know he isn't throwing it down field? Perhaps....
Yes... you are trying way, way, way too hard. Only that would enable you to suggest that what we have statistically AND the "eye test" from watching them run in the past doesn't show Hooker to be the better runner.

At this point, you may be arguing just to avoid admitting you were wrong. There's more shame in that than simply saying that you changed your mind after taking a deeper look.

Yes... you are trying way, way, way too hard. Only that would enable you to suggest that what we have statistically AND the "eye test" from watching them run in the past doesn't show Hooker to be the better runner.

At this point, you may be arguing just to avoid admitting you were wrong. There's more shame in that than simply saying that you changed your mind after taking a deeper look.

Sounds a bit pompous. You are an image of blue S on the internet. What shame do I have in being wrong? What do I gain from being right? This is a forum for discussion. I said I don't see evidence that Hooker is better at the run game. You respond to my post and give me a single season stat that says he picks up more yards per carry but in the same breath say we need to look at the whole body of work. So I show you the whole body of work and there is not much difference between their numbers. So your response is an "eye test" and a condescending remark that I am trying way to hard. I appreciate the conversation, but you have provided no evidence that would convince me or anyone else.

Sounds a bit pompous. You are an image of blue S on the internet.
You're the one contorting the facts so you don't have to say you were wrong. Pompous indeed.

What shame do I have in being wrong? What do I gain from being right? This is a forum for discussion.
Not sure. But I've seen scores of people like you do it over the last 15+ years.

I said I don't see evidence that Hooker is better at the run game. You respond to my post and give me a single season stat that says he picks up more yards per carry but in the same breath say we need to look at the whole body of work.
I don't care if you use the previous season when they did not use him as a feature in the run game.... he's still better than Milton statistically.

So I show you the whole body of work and there is not much difference between their numbers. So your response is an "eye test" and a condescending remark that I am trying way to hard. I appreciate the conversation, but you have provided no evidence that would convince me or anyone else.
LOL... you aren't interested in evidence or you would have trucked on over to Youtube and watched some video to see who was right. Not hard... no reason to spoon feed you. But I guess that might be the only way.

Compare these highlights to anything you can find for Milton. If you are an intellectually honest person then you won't be able to deny that Hooker is the better, more natural runner.

Last edited:
You're the one contorting the facts so you don't have to say you were wrong. Pompous indeed.

Not sure. But I've seen scores of people like you do it over the last 15+ years.

I don't care if you use the previous season when they did not use him as a feature in the run game.... he's still better than Milton statistically.

LOL... you aren't interested in evidence or you would have trucked on over to Youtube and watched some video. Not hard... no reason to spoon feed you.

And there it is.

One man's opinion, Hooker has better touch on the ball and seems to make the decision a little quicker to take off running when the pocket starts collapsing , but both good runners once they get out and get going. Don't @me about his interception. It happens and we were playing catch up with the kid trying to make a play. This staff is determined they can fix Milton, but like John Adams or not, he made a very good observation. If they run Milton out there and he plays well against TN Tech, it's fools gold and there's a looming disaster down in Gainesville. If it's me, Hooker starts this week and then mop up with Bailey and Milton, but it's not me. So the best we can do is hope the rehab project works before we hit Gainesville.

Lol at the clown show saying we know more than coaches.... Did you watch the last 4 years ? Yet they kept sending the same guy out. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over expecting different results. Chances are we have it right and the unfortunate side to that means we are gonna lose more than we win.

Yeah, my bad. I keep forgetting about science proving that your volnation picture directly correlates to your intelligence.

Yeah, if you’re not an all in sheep with (insert coach here ________), then you know nothing according to this guy. He smarted off at me when I listed plenty of examples over multiple coaches where those coaches absolutely failed in getting the best talent on the field. He must think no one on this board other than an active coach has the ability to look at two different players and see where one is better than the other.

Reactions: DustyRockSolid
We could, assuming we are okay with wasting half a season……..
No one had any serious expectations for this season anyway. I don’t like what Heupel has done the first two games but he will and should get a least 3 seasons because of the state of the program when he was hired. We will certainly know if he is a dud by then.

Reactions: FBtime
Literally 100% of Milton's rushing yards were in one run, so his other 4 run attempts netted 0 yards in the end.
miltonrush.png

Sacks are counted as rushing attempts and will thus negate yards gained.

Reactions: ABINGDON VOL FAN

VN Store

Back