The Grill and BBQ thread

Teaeger ironwood 885. Its the only pellet smoker I've used so I can't compare to others, but it's really simple.

I've definitely looked at the Traeger lineups. I just don't know if I can throw down $1500 for a smoker (yet) hah. I hear they are great.

Recently I took a hard look at the Weber EX-4 2nd gen. Really good temp range and enough cooking space for my current family size.

I've definitely looked at the Traeger lineups. I just don't know if I can throw down $1500 for a smoker (yet) hah. I hear they are great.

Recently I took a hard look at the Weber EX-4 2nd gen. Really good temp range and enough cooking space for my current family size.

Check out Z Grills pellet smokers. They built pellet grills for Traeger and others before they began selling their own brand directly to the public. I bought one two years ago at Rural King on clearance for $299 in the fall. It was originally $500 or so.

Reactions: zhangliao04
Check out Z Grills pellet smokers. They built pellet grills for Traeger and others before they began selling their own brand directly to the public. I bought one two years ago at Rural King on clearance for $299 in the fall. It was originally $500 or so.

I've looked at them as well. How is the quality of the smoker? If you don't mind, honest opinion of it so far after 2 years?

will second or third the rec teq. I have the 340. had a clog from old pellets turning to dust and got about 45 minutes of live trouble shooting with someone from the company almost on demand.

can't go wrong with them.

I've looked at them as well. How is the quality of the smoker? If you don't mind, honest opinion of it so far after 2 years?
Never had one problem with it. Neighbor is a RT enthusiast (has two different sizes) and I can’t tell a difference between the food off of a RT or Z Grill (except the price tag). Another neighbor has a PitBoss and is convinced the Z puts out more smoke than his PitBoss. Typically smoke chicken, Boston butt, or ribs but also use it regularly as a grill for burgers and steaks. I’d buy another in a heart beat when this one quits.

My rec-teq isn't a smoke machine. I'm fine with the amount of smoke but see how people want more intense smoke.

That said, I put chicken wings on at 365 for 50 - 60 minutes and every single person who's had them says they are the best. Easiest way to please a crowd.

Reactions: MadisonvilleVol
My rec-teq isn't a smoke machine. I'm fine with the amount of smoke but see how people want more intense smoke.

That said, I put chicken wings on at 365 for 50 - 60 minutes and every single person who's had them says they are the best. Easiest way to please a crowd.

I had trouble getting the skin to crisp when I did wings on the smoker or grill at lower temps until I started putting some baking powder in my seasoning blend.

I had trouble getting the skin to crisp when I did wings on the smoker or grill at lower temps until I started putting some baking powder in my seasoning blend.
To get crispy skin on its own you need to be around 350. If cooking at a lower temp, make sure the skin is as dry as possible before adding your rub and baking powder, corn starch, or arrowroot powder (thanks to KD.).

Reactions: kiddiedoc
Here's a little pizza I grilled tonight with some homemade meatballs, onion, mushroom, & pepperoncini. The peppers you see in the back are Olde Virden's made in Knoxville. You can find the small shaker at Food City or order the big one on their site or Amazon. The best shaker peppers ever!

Pizza 101421.jpg

VN Store

Back