Perhaps 3 reasons whether Bailey…

I’m no Negavol but I have little to no confidence in Milton. I just believe a P5 quarterback should regularly complete the necessary throws, especially wide open touchdowns.
I’m not arguing that. Milton has missed way too many through six quarters. I’m not trying to justify him nor am I happy with that aspect of his game.

Reactions: volmoon
Re: Bailey I’ve already made this same point in two other threads. He’s not mobile enough to run for his life behind our porous, makeshift OL. Pruitt ruined Maurer now Bailey fans want to see Heupel do same to him. SMH.

Why do you think Heupel turned to the transfer portal to pick up two mobile mature QBs? Bc Maurer became a head case and Bailey wasn’t and isn’t ready to get thrown to the lions behind a patchwork OL.

You want to ruin the kid? Keep pushing for him to get playing time this year. He’s an insurance policy only atp. Next year is an entirely different animal.
O line has looked pretty good so far

I didn’t say his system requires it I’m thinking the reason Bailey isn’t playing above the others is because he’s not as mobile as the others. Not sure I agree with that tho especially when Milton snaps and just stands there
What good is mobility if one of those mobile QBs can't consistently throw the ball accurately and the other doesn't take care of the football? Also like you said Milton isn't as mobile as advertised.

Last edited:
If I’m not mistaken (and I may be) Milton has the same years left as HB (3). So I don’t know if option 3 tracks.

I think Milton was redshirted his freshman year, took the covid year, and played 1 year. So this is year 1/3 for his eligibility. HB may have 4 years left.
HB as four with the Covid exemption.

Doubt he's ever going to be a NFL starter unless someone gets hurt, but teams will always take a chance on talent. I mean if Nathan Peterman can make it as a backup QB, I feel about anyone can.

Reminds me a bit Felipe Franks. Franks wasn't anything special in college and his last season was forgettable. He could have came back, but he probably figured he stood a better chance to make it in the NFL now rather than risk injury again.
Excellent points

It is always shocking to see who does and does not make the NFL....and for how long!

Reactions: volmoon and Carp
If I’m not mistaken (and I may be) Milton has the same years left as HB (3). So I don’t know if option 3 tracks.

I think Milton was redshirted his freshman year, took the covid year, and played 1 year. So this is year 1/3 for his eligibility. HB may have 4 years left.
Harrison Bailey is a Covid Freshman so he has 4 full years and can still be redshirted as well.

plays this weekend or not. If it is the first reason, we‘re doomed. 😊
  1. The game is closer than it should be.
  2. Bailey isn‘t going to play at Tennessee this season and maybe never again. If he doesn’t play for any reason other than the following reason, look for one more QB in the portal. However, I’m becoming very suspicious that if he doesn’t play, the reason may be #3.
  3. Bailey is the future, and they want Bailey to have time to develop more. If so, Bailey may have been told (at the outset of the season) that he may only play if injuries require it. Further rationale… The other two QBs are journeyed seniors. At this point (and perhaps previously known by staff) both appear unlikely to be the QB of the future. Most expectations for the 2021 Vols are 5-7 or 6-6. Why risk the 19-year-old’s future while implementing a new offense when year-one expectations are low? As we know, he didn’t have Spring 2020. He played C+ to B+ in four games later that season. And then came a whole new offensive system.
That’s my wild wondering QB thought for this week.
What do you think?
Flame away. 👊🏼

Bailey missed almost all of 2020 pre-season. He missed 14 days due to contact tracing. His only practices with the 1s was when Pruitt began Sunday practices about half way through the season. For all purposes, practice wise, he is a true freshman. He never should have been thrown to the wolves last year. The season was a total loss when they put him in. He has great upside down the road but I fear he'll leave here and once again Vol fans will be watching another transfer light it up somewhere else just like Peterman.

The answer is he’s not as mobile / a dual threat quarterback as the other two

You can make an argument he makes up for it with his throwing accuracy but…

How mobile was Locke at Missouri? I keep hearing this mobility issue, but I don't see it as the reason. I think Huepel is enamored with the big gun and thinks he can get the aiming sights on it calibrated. I think he's wrong, imho. I just think it's gonna cost recruits, wins and more before he finally let's that go. I get tired of the radio heads and others giving the Jeremy Pruitt answer, best chance to win. So far, that chance is 50/50 based upon results. Doesn't seem like a justifiable reason to lock onto any QB. Play them all Spurrier(and others) style and let the competition include games.

Bailey missed almost all of 2020 pre-season. He missed 14 days due to contact tracing. His only practices with the 1s was when Pruitt began Sunday practices about half way through the season. For all purposes, practice wise, he is a true freshman. He never should have been thrown to the wolves last year. The season was a total loss when they put him in. He has great upside down the road but I fear he'll leave here and once again Vol fans will be watching another transfer light it up somewhere else just like Peterman.
Brian Maurer will be the transfer that lights it up, kind of like Riley Ferguson did at Memphis.

Milton is listed as a junior on the roster so with the covid extra year he has 2 years remaining after this year. On the other hand, if Harrison were to redshirt, he'd still have 4 years remaining. He can play in 4 games, redshirt and still have a full 4 years.

Honestly I think he just sucks or at the very least the coaches think he does. The pathetic excuses for qbs that they trot out on the field tell me that. It isn’t about protection or development or anything else, if he isn’t ahead of what we have starting he just isn’t an sec an.
It’s almost like covid 2020 season stopped Bailey from getting near the reps he would have in a normal year *blue font… this is a terrible take QBs have to wait and develop all the time Bailey is still very young and this is his first full offseason to get reps… HB is a very good QB… he is accurate smart can read a defense and has good pocket presence… he will be very good for us but right now he is still a little slow moving and learning the speed of SEC play… when it’s his time he will step up and be great at UT but right now we have to continue to let him grow… Mac Jones at bama would not have been as good his freshman year vs his senior year.

Reactions: Alto1
It’s almost like covid 2020 season stopped Bailey from getting near the reps he would have in a normal year *blue font… this is a terrible take QBs have to wait and develop all the time Bailey is still very young and this is his first full offseason to get reps… HB is a very good QB… he is accurate smart can read a defense and has good pocket presence… he will be very good for us but right now he is still a little slow moving and learning the speed of SEC play… when it’s his time he will step up and be great at UT but right now we have to continue to let him grow… Mac Jones at bama would not have been as good his freshman year vs his senior year.
Soon to be in the transfer portal. (Not blue font)

Reactions: Rooster1
plays this weekend or not. If it is the first reason, we‘re doomed. 😊
  1. The game is closer than it should be.
  2. Bailey isn‘t going to play at Tennessee this season and maybe never again. If he doesn’t play for any reason other than the following reason, look for one more QB in the portal. However, I’m becoming very suspicious that if he doesn’t play, the reason may be #3.
  3. Bailey is the future, and they want Bailey to have time to develop more. If so, Bailey may have been told (at the outset of the season) that he may only play if injuries require it. Further rationale… The other two QBs are journeyed seniors. At this point (and perhaps previously known by staff) both appear unlikely to be the QB of the future. Most expectations for the 2021 Vols are 5-7 or 6-6. Why risk the 19-year-old’s future while implementing a new offense when year-one expectations are low? As we know, he didn’t have Spring 2020. He played C+ to B+ in four games later that season. And then came a whole new offensive system.
That’s my wild wondering QB thought for this week.
What do you think?
Flame away. 👊🏼
I think #3 sounds pretty spot on. At least thats what I hope

Milton is very confident and has no intention of playing three years here. Someone interviewed him and noted that he had a degree from Michigan and asked what grad school at UT was like. His response was that he wasn't really in grad school, but that he was taking some business class to help him understand language that might be used in NFL contracts. I believe that he thinks he's here for 1 year. 2 years would be a setback for him. Unless things go really wrong, Milton will declare for the draft after this year, imo.
NFL contracts?
17955770-E71B-4BE0-AE61-D773C9C07EAF.gif

Re: Bailey I’ve already made this same point in two other threads. He’s not mobile enough to run for his life behind our porous, makeshift OL. Pruitt ruined Maurer now Bailey fans want to see Heupel do same to him. SMH.

Why do you think Heupel turned to the transfer portal to pick up two mobile mature QBs? Bc Maurer became a head case and Bailey wasn’t and isn’t ready to get thrown to the lions behind a patchwork OL.

You want to ruin the kid? Keep pushing for him to get playing time this year. He’s an insurance policy only atp. Next year is an entirely different animal.

Heupel went after one qb. The last staff brought in Hooker.

Read again. I didn’t propose it as you mocked it. I believe it is more complex than that.

I read it. It really is not complex unless one has comprehension issues. It's very simple and straightforward, you said Bailey should not play to protect his "future".

VN Store

Back