Perhaps 3 reasons whether Bailey…

plays this weekend or not. If it is the first reason, we‘re doomed. 😊
  1. The game is closer than it should be.
  2. Bailey isn‘t going to play at Tennessee this season and maybe never again. If he doesn’t play for any reason other than the following reason, look for one more QB in the portal. However, I’m becoming very suspicious that if he doesn’t play, the reason may be #3.
  3. Bailey is the future, and they want Bailey to have time to develop more. If so, Bailey may have been told (at the outset of the season) that he may only play if injuries require it. Further rationale… The other two QBs are journeyed seniors. At this point (and perhaps previously known by staff) both appear unlikely to be the QB of the future. Most expectations for the 2021 Vols are 5-7 or 6-6. Why risk the 19-year-old’s future while implementing a new offense when year-one expectations are low? As we know, he didn’t have Spring 2020. He played C+ to B+ in four games later that season. And then came a whole new offensive system.
That’s my wild wondering QB thought for this week.
What do you think?
Flame away. 👊🏼
I appreciate the thought that went into this. Every analyst I read/listen to about recruiting says the better players on our recruiting board need to see this staff notch solid wins before they will commit. The staff has to know this just like they have to know they will not succeed here if recruiting does not pick up. I think they’ll do whatever it takes to win games. Pitt was a swing game, one of a few. The margin for error is now tighter.

TBH Coaches don't think like that. There is something (mobility seems the most likely) separating the QBs and they earned the job in camp. If they don't produce on the field we will see HB at some point.

Reactions: sjt18
If Milton doesn't play well enough to head to the draft after the season, then I have a sneaky suspicion that he won't be won't starting by the end of the year. Either he shows enough to get himself drafted or he plays his way out of the starting role. Either way, I find it unlikely he is still on the team come February.
I sort of had the same hopes for JG but he just kept reappearing every. Single. Season. Except instead of Nightmare on Elm Street, our particular series of sequels was Nightmare on Phil Fulmer Way

For those suggesting Milton’s remaining 3 years of eligibility, does anyone really think Milton plays 7 years of college football? Or, even 6? 5 at best.
Answer me this question first….did you really think Jarrett Guarantano would play 6 years when you first saw him don the Tennessee Orange?

Reactions: VOLnBama01
I sort of had the same hopes for JG but he just kept reappearing every. Single. Season. Except instead of Nightmare on Elm Street, our particular series of sequels was Nightmare on Phil Fulmer Way

We didn't really have any better options until Bailey showed up though. Maybe Maurer could have been something, but injuries mostly killed that chance.

If I’m not mistaken (and I may be) Milton has the same years left as HB (3). So I don’t know if option 3 tracks.

I think Milton was redshirted his freshman year, took the covid year, and played 1 year. So this is year 1/3 for his eligibility. HB may have 4 years left.
You are. Redshirted, backed up Patterson and THEN started games last season…the one that didn’t count against eligibility. Bailey has an unused redshirt…so 5 to play 4.

2. Bailey isn‘t going to play at Tennessee this season and maybe never again. If he doesn’t play for any reason other than the following reason, look for one more QB in the portal. However, I’m becoming very suspicious that if he doesn’t play, the reason may be #3.
  3. Bailey is the future, and they want Bailey to have time to develop more. If so, Bailey may have been told (at the outset of the season) that he may only play if injuries require it. Further rationale… The other two QBs are journeyed seniors. At this point (and perhaps previously known by staff) both appear unlikely to be the QB of the future. Most expectations for the 2021 Vols are 5-7 or 6-6. Why risk the 19-year-old’s future while implementing a new offense when year-one expectations are low? As we know, he didn’t have Spring 2020. He played C+ to B+ in four games later that season. And then came a whole new offensive system.
What do you think?
Flame away. 👊🏼

1. It won't be as long as the defense does their job
2. Bailey is limited in his athletic ability for what this staff wants to do vs the Milton/Hooker. When the line breaks down, they can scramble. QB's draws are an QC's best friend when it used as a play vs line breakdown.
3. Milton has 3 years of eligibility remaining to play.

It's always great to want the 2nd-3rd team QB in the game, until you realize why they are the backup. To date and on a 3-8 team last year he did not show he should be QB1.

Milton is very confident and has no intention of playing three years here. Someone interviewed him and noted that he had a degree from Michigan and asked what grad school at UT was like. His response was that he wasn't really in grad school, but that he was taking some business class to help him understand language that might be used in NFL contracts. I believe that he thinks he's here for 1 year. 2 years would be a setback for him. Unless things go really wrong, Milton will declare for the draft after this year, imo.

What do you think?
Flame away. 👊🏼

I don't think Bailey will play because the game is close unless Milton is ruled out of the game. I am not sure Heupel would play Bailey as the 3rd option in a close game. Bailey will play in games this year, but will be limited to ensure he can still redshirt (can play in max 4 games). If Bailey is not the starter, then it makes no sense to burn a redshirt if the coaches are not certain he is the best QB on the roster. If you can preserve the redshirt and still have Bailey see action later in the year, that would be better.

Milton - 2018 (RS), 2019 (played), 2020 (free year), can still play 2021, 2022 and 2023
Hooker - 2017 (RS), 2018 (played), 2019 (played), 2020 (free year), can still play 2021 and 2022
Bailey - 2020 (free year), 2021 (potential RS), could still play 2022, 2023, 2024 and 2025 to play

Milton is very confident and has no intention of playing three years here. Someone interviewed him and noted that he had a degree from Michigan and asked what grad school at UT was like. His response was that he wasn't really in grad school, but that he was taking some business class to help him understand language that might be used in NFL contracts. I believe that he thinks he's here for 1 year. 2 years would be a setback for him. Unless things go really wrong, Milton will declare for the draft after this year, imo.
And may go undrafted if he does not start playing better. Based on the first two games, he may need to play in 2022.

Re: Bailey I’ve already made this same point in two other threads. He’s not mobile enough to run for his life behind our porous, makeshift OL. Pruitt ruined Maurer now Bailey fans want to see Heupel do same to him. SMH.

Why do you think Heupel turned to the transfer portal to pick up two mobile mature QBs? Bc Maurer became a head case and Bailey wasn’t and isn’t ready to get thrown to the lions behind a patchwork OL.

You want to ruin the kid? Keep pushing for him to get playing time this year. He’s an insurance policy only atp. Next year is an entirely different animal.
If you have coaches who put players on the field or hold them off the field because of fear you are a pathetic coach.

Honestly I think he just sucks or at the very least the coaches think he does. The pathetic excuses for qbs that they trot out on the field tell me that. It isn’t about protection or development or anything else, if he isn’t ahead of what we have starting he just isn’t an sec an.

If Milton doesn't play well enough to head to the draft after the season, then I have a sneaky suspicion that he won't be won't starting by the end of the year. Either he shows enough to get himself drafted or he plays his way out of the starting role. Either way, I find it unlikely he is still on the team come February.
You took the words right out of my mouth.

Cart is front of the horse! Doesn't matter if you can read an NFL contract if you can't read a college defense.

What do you think?
Flame away. 👊🏼

Milton is listed as a RS Jr.

1. It won't be as long as the defense does their job
2. Bailey is limited in his athletic ability for what this staff wants to do vs the Milton/Hooker. When the line breaks down, they can scramble. QB's draws are an QC's best friend when it used as a play vs line breakdown.
3. Milton has 3 years of eligibility remaining to play.

It's always great to want the 2nd-3rd team QB in the game, until you realize why they are the backup. To date and on a 3-8 team last year he did not show he should be QB1.
I get your point, but I don't think Bailey ends up a 5* bust in college football.

Reactions: VOLnBama01
I appreciate the thought that went into this. Every analyst I read/listen to about recruiting says the better players on our recruiting board need to see this staff notch solid wins before they will commit. The staff has to know this just like they have to know they will not succeed here if recruiting does not pick up. I think they’ll do whatever it takes to win games. Pitt was a swing game, one of a few. The margin for error is now tighter.

Here is my take on Bailey and his chances or lack there of --- as well as other comments regarding some of the other things mentioned.
First I think Hooker should start Saturday.

Bailey can play quarterback at this level in college - he would be starting right now at say South Carolina, Colorado, Texas A and M and quite a few other places.
He completed 71% of his passes last season with a 155 qb rating - with a patchwork offensive line and.....

- he did this largely while "not" working with either the number 1 or number 2's for most of the year. Those are remarkably good numbers all things considered, so he is capable of starting and playing quarterback for a number of schools. He seemed to have very good touch, goes through progressions, seems to understand and feel the pocket well, has a nice high release so very few passes blocked or knocked down and he didn't suffer a large number of sacks. He also was much more mobile and athletic than anticipated and I believe he ran or scrambled a few times.

Is he the perfect qb for this offense ..... I wouldn't cast Peyton as being the perfect model for this offense ... so Bailey is also probably not perfect for it, but I am also sure that he can execute it and be successful.
Bailey is in a great position - he will either start here one day, or he can enter the portal and select among a number of schools that would love to have him.

Good luck to all our QB's as the season progresses.

Milton is listed as a RS Jr.
And this is his 4th season. He graduated last year. I think that he thought that this would be his last college playing year, perhaps one more. If he is that good, why would he play more? If he is that bad, who would want him?

BTW, I love the VolNation Forums! Freak, thanks for providing this platform! Fun!

I was surprised to hear how negative Ainge was on Bailey today. He had an almost angry tone when addressing callers about Bailey, and at one point he went out of his way to say that he had opinions of Bailey’s family that he wouldn’t get into. I thought it odd.

Reactions: JohnnyJava
Cart is front of the horse! Doesn't matter if you can read an NFL contract if you can't read a college defense.

Doubt he's ever going to be a NFL starter unless someone gets hurt, but teams will always take a chance on talent. I mean if Nathan Peterman can make it as a backup QB, I feel about anyone can.

Reminds me a bit Felipe Franks. Franks wasn't anything special in college and his last season was forgettable. He could have came back, but he probably figured he stood a better chance to make it in the NFL now rather than risk injury again.

Reactions: spyfish007
And this is his 4th season. He graduated last year. I think that he thought that this would be his last college playing year, perhaps one more. If he is that good, why would he play more? If he is that bad, who would want him?

Well, I have no idea what his plans are. But as a RS Jr, it seems he may be back next year. Until he shows up at a bar, buys me a beer, and tells me he will not be back next year, I am not going to use my mind reading powers on trying to figure it out.

I was surprised to hear how negative Ainge was on Bailey today. He had an almost angry tone when addressing callers about Bailey, and at one point he went out of his way to say that he had opinions of Bailey’s family that he wouldn’t get into. I thought it odd.

Ainge is kind of a tool and he's about the most least dialed in talking head I would trust when it comes to Vol info.

VN Store

Back