Recruiting Forum Football Talk IV

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do like Pittman but I have doubts he will make Arkansas a real contender. could see them being like what kentucky has become in the East. Maybe a bit more potential.

I don't think Pittman is THE guy. I mean I think he's personable and may be a good fit for his role as the HC. How well he does in the long run may hinge on how long he can hold on to Kendall Briles and Barry Odom. jmo.

We may end up well ahead of them by the end of the year. jmo.

ScreenHunter 759.png

They're going to keep trying with Milton. The only question is how much PT the other(s) will get.

jJmiG2h.gif

Maybe...Heupel & staff are trying to break Milton in before SEC play and that's why the leash hasn't been shorter.

Cause I know without a shadow of a doubt, if we come out in the swamp and Milton is hitting on the deep balls and we end up beating the Gators every single one of you that's "out" on him will suddenly forget all the **** you talked the last 2 weeks.

Would be a nice win, but he would have to show consistency after that as well, if I'm jumping back on board with Milton.

I've seen this **** sooooo many times. Our QB plays well one game, we got excited, then get **** on the following week.

Reactions: Vols4us
I want it to be Milton. He needs to sink or swim now - within the next 2 weeks. The rest of the season matters for the team and recruiting, not just Milton. I want Heup to know without a doubt what he has in Milton coming out of that game. Do it right or sit down.

So whatever Heup thinks best for PT Saturday. Maybe Joe can pretend it's not a game since the competition is so weak and it will help him for UF.

The PT will be telling, especially with Hooker, who also needs to get better fast. They took advantage of Milton getting dinged up to give Hooker his shot Saturday. He doesn't have Milton's arm but he brings a running threat behind a shaky Oline with little depth. I doubt they're going to throw anybody into the Swamp cold. One more gimme and it gets real with SEC play.

I like Pittman. To use him as a standard for Heupel at this point is ludicrous.

Why? Heup's W/L has gone in reverse from his first season as HC. He was handed an undefeated team. And I like Heup and understand the reasons.

Pittman was one TD from a Natty over Bama at UGA and developed the unit that was most responsible for their success. He's been successful at every stop since his days at UNC. Why would he not be in same stratosphere as Heup?

Reactions: Kingston Vol
The PT will be telling, especially with Hooker, who also needs to get better fast. They took advantage of Milton getting dinged up to give Hooker his shot Saturday. He doesn't have Milton's arm but he brings a running threat behind a shaky Oline with little depth. I doubt they're going to throw anybody into the Swamp cold. One more gimme and it gets real with SEC play.

100% agree. The season hinges on the knowing who the QB is going in and coming out of UF.

Also let's clear some **** up...

Dooley opened his first season going 2-6, offense averaged 21.8 ppg, defense gave up 30.5 ppg
Butch went 5-7 but his wins were Austin Peay, Western Kentucky, South Alabama, South Carolina, & Kentucky PPG 23.8 & gave up 29.0 PPG
Pruitt went 5-7 with his wins being ETSU, UTEP, Auburn, Charlotte, Kentucky PPG 22.8 & gave up 27.9 PPG

All 3 were trash in that first season. Butch & Pruitt managed to have two fluke upsets, but otherwise trash teams.

Heup at least so far is scoring more than they are giving up, and if he does that and we go 5-7 it'll still be a better first season imo.

100% agree. The season hinges on the knowing who the QB is going in and coming out of UF.

The last thing we need is a Nate Peterman confidence-killer game. The Swamp is a nasty place to play. I'm not sure we have a confident QB right now. Not sure this weekend can build the kind of mojo we need, but maybe it can. A great atmosphere, a blowout win, hitting open WRs, making big plays-- we'll see.

post 2:

You ain’t going to like this one

SPARE me the bs post about “well the team played hard” guess what? every single coach we have had since fulmer has played their ass off for their coach in year 1. The exact same line was said about those teams

Show me a college head coach coach that isn’t disciplined enough to maintain anywhere remotely close to a healthy body and I’ll show a program that is run lacking discipline. CJH was a gosh dang QB for goodness sakes and I cringe every time I have to look at his man boobs. Steve spurrier once said He wouldn’t hire a fat person because they are lazy and lack discipline. Well our team clearly showed a lack of discipline and that’s a problem going forward.

maybe just maybe JH goes the opposite direction of our last idiot coach and his body doesn’t balloon more and more like Him. Maybe in turn his program can show some damn discipline as well.

have a good day VN!

I think it’s more to do with going ultra fast tempo than his personal weight. When you go lightning fast your bound to have rushed penalties. What you can’t have is the Cade personal foul, Wright helmet removed unsportsmanlike conduct, and banks body slam penalty. Your going to have the occasional false start and hold with this tempo but this tempo offense also gives you more ability to hit big plays that make those not matter as much if they are spread out. When they are all together like the one drive after Milton run then it’s a problem

post 2:

You ain’t going to like this one

SPARE me the bs post about “well the team played hard” guess what? every single coach we have had since fulmer has played their ass off for their coach in year 1. The exact same line was said about those teams

Show me a college head coach coach that isn’t disciplined enough to maintain anywhere remotely close to a healthy body and I’ll show a program that is run lacking discipline. CJH was a gosh dang QB for goodness sakes and I cringe every time I have to look at his man boobs. Steve spurrier once said He wouldn’t hire a fat person because they are lazy and lack discipline. Well our team clearly showed a lack of discipline and that’s a problem going forward.

maybe just maybe JH goes the opposite direction of our last idiot coach and his body doesn’t balloon more and more like Him. Maybe in turn his program can show some damn discipline as well.

have a good day VN!

We suck because Heupel is fat?

Loved the way our Vols played, relentless and created chances to succeed.

This team feels different, in some ways like those tough blue collar mid-majors, playing as one team, but with a big time coaching staff on D, an offensive system designed to put up points and solid special teams units that are making waves. No pre-madonnas, just tough as nails, workman-like attitude.

For our insiders, appreciate any nuggets y’all have, can we play nice after all we are all on the same side!

Will say this - the quiet kid’s got a big heart. One of the few kids taking advantage of NIL in the most positive way and not the “look how much I’m getting paid, ma” society.

Vols' QB Bailey Partners With NEGU in NIL Deal to Raise Awareness for Childhood Cancer

Wish I were strong enough to log out of VN and VQ for the next couple years. It’s truly a toxic environment right now. If a coach loses a game it’s time to fire him. If a freshman doesn’t make 10 tackles or catch 3 TD’s in week 1, they’re a bust.

The reality of this program and the expectations of some fans day 1 is so ridiculous it’s not even worth the energy to read and reply.

I logged out for almost two years after that GSU debacle. This place was too much.

Did me well! You don't really miss it honestly after a few weeks. Game day is much "quieter."

I've returned to the same mess of a message board, but I just find it funny now.

It's interesting how many people get it and how many don't.

By "get it," I mean people who understand:
  • Tennessee needs coaching stability in the worst way
  • Tennessee is not what it once was because the college landscape changed
  • There are no quick fixes
  • Heupel (or the next guy) faces a multi-year rebuild
  • Recruiting is going to take a while to heat up b/c of the pending sanctions
  • Tennessee won't be chasing championships until the last half of this decade in the best case scenario
  • What you pull for today is simple stuff:
    • making bowl games
    • getting guys drafted
    • pulling an upset or two every now and again
Once you get it, this all becomes fun again.

I don't think Pittman is THE guy. I mean I think he's personable and may be a good fit for his role as the HC. How well he does in the long run may hinge on how long he can hold on to Kendall Briles and Barry Odom. jmo.

We may end up well ahead of them by the end of the year. jmo.

View attachment 394565

Possibly - and we should. We have more talent on the roster and play in the east. But isn't that what a great HC does - hire quality coordinators? i.e, Saban, Meyer, etc. Identify the best that fit your criteria and hire them. He did. They have very deep pockets for money there. Everybody on here who understands football would take Briles and Odom as coordinators. The coordinators he hired had to believe in him as a HC. They know he knows and they trusted their careers to go to a place that has been a bottom feeder for several years with average at best talent playing in the toughest conference and division in CFB. What should that tell people? The deep pockets people had pride in the school/program so they went about fixing the problem with proven quality coaches.

Have we not seen enough of that being a problem here in the past dozen years to understand it? So if they leave at some point, especially Briles since he's climbing the ladder, do you not think Pittman can hire quality replacements after having won more games and after proving he could hire those two when they were coming off 2-10 for two years?

Nobody is saying they are going to become Bama someday. They are first going for #3 in that division. Which is what I think and hope we are trying to do.

Reactions: ChattaTNVol
  • What you pull for today is simple stuff:
    • making bowl games
    • getting guys drafted
    • pulling an upset or two every now and again

Yep, for me every Vol football season starts with this checklist.

1. Did we win the games we were supposed to (this season Pitt wasn't one of those games)
2. Did we end up making a bowl game
3. Did we compete in the majority of losses
4. Did we upset anyone
5. How many guys got drafted
6. How much staff turnover have we had

Usually after evaluating those 6 things I decide if the year was a success in progress or not. We all want to win 10 or more games and have a shot at going to Atlanta, but ya gotta crawl before ya walk and ya gotta walk before you run.

We need to hang 50+ on TTU and ideally see 3 QBs, if we're lucky they all look good and the coaches see something to help them pick their starter for the Florida game.

Maybe...Heupel & staff are trying to break Milton in before SEC play and that's why the leash hasn't been shorter.

Cause I know without a shadow of a doubt, if we come out in the swamp and Milton is hitting on the deep balls and we end up beating the Gators every single one of you that's "out" on him will suddenly forget all the **** you talked the last 2 weeks.
I don’t doubt this is the theory.

And if you do any reading of his time at UCF and Missouri, you’ll learn this offense cannot function without a deep ball threat.

Milton will get every chance to prove himself - especially against a cupcake like TTU.

The last thing we need is a Nate Peterman confidence-killer game. The Swamp is a nasty place to play. I'm not sure we have a confident QB right now. Not sure this weekend can build the kind of mojo we need, but maybe it can. A great atmosphere, a blowout win, hitting open WRs, making big plays-- we'll see.

Which is why Hank's Takes may be right. A run first orientation with a QB who runs like a RB may be the way to go. Mullen uses it. We have two QB's who don't read coverages well and hold onto the ball too long with a no depth O-line. The other QB who can read coverages has not seen the field, has minimal experience and would be going into the swamp with a Peterman type potential. The Tech game is just practice and reps. I'm inclined to go Hooker if I really want to win. But I want him to choose Milton for what I posted before - for him to sink or swim. Validate Heup's decision or prove it totally wrong so we can get on with the rest of the season and a shot to win more games that we ordinarily would.

Possibly - and we should. We have more talent on the roster and play in the east. But isn't that what a great HC does - hire quality coordinators? i.e, Saban, Meyer, etc. Identify the best that fit your criteria and hire them. He did. They have very deep pockets for money there. Everybody on here who understands football would take Briles and Odom as coordinators. The coordinators he hired had to believe in him as a HC. They know he knows and they trusted their careers to go to a place that has been a bottom feeder for several years with average at best talent playing in the toughest conference and division in CFB. What should that tell people? The deep pockets people had pride in the school/program so they went about fixing the problem with proven quality coaches.

Have we not seen enough of that being a problem here in the past dozen years to understand it? So if they leave at some point, especially Briles since he's climbing the ladder, do you not think Pittman can hire quality replacements after having won more games and after proving he could hire those two when they were coming off 2-10 for two years?

Nobody is saying they are going to become Bama someday. They are first going for #3 in that division. Which is what I think and hope we are trying to do.

WTF are you even talking about man?

Arkansas now has "average at best talent"?
2021 - 25th
2020 - 29th
2019 - 23rd
2018 - 45th
2017 - 27th
2016 - 23rd

They've only had 1 recruiting class in the last 6 years outside the top 30 in the nation...that's anything but average. Pittman is doing a good job, but he's got one quality win (we think) thus far in his career beating a Texas team with a first year coach. I like Pittman, I think he understands the SEC and he hired a great staff, but it's 1 game and we don't even know how good Texas really is yet. It was just Steve's 2nd game there and his first road game of the year.

Reactions: barrylee
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back