Recruiting Forum Football Talk IV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can we also talk about how terrible the refs were? I truly think we should of had 1st down on that one Hooker run in the 4th and it should of been 1st and goal from the 2 yd line.

I hope those refs were reported for how egregious a lot of those calls were.
Worst I've seen in a long time

I didn’t think they got much separation consistently vs Pitt. Sure they had a step on some 50 yard throws but that’s not what should be the focus. Even when those are open they are still tough throws.
I think the receivers did their job. Could you always get better and upgrade? Absolutely.

Nope. Don't like that.
Meh, it's TN freakin Tech. If JM misses his first couple bombs, then go to Hooker and let HB have 2H. Should be ~20 pt game by half and 40 pt win by the end anyway.

Buuut if he starts hitting deep shots, then there ya go. Like someone else said, he's like a bball player that just needs to see the ball go through the hoop first. He has the yips...max yips.

Reactions: Ten_Titans
So…is Byron Young the savior of the defense like everyone is touting him, or is he the next big disappointment in a long line of “never played a down heroes” that has defined the last 14 years of UT football?

Reactions: Big Orange#1
What do you really expect to learn from an extremely overmatched (hopefully) Tennessee Tech this weekend? I guess we will see if a QB can actually complete a long pass, but what else will this weekend show us?
Maintain fast tempo with few penalties. Defense find out what a turnover is. Let Byron Young get warmed up. Break a big run. This team needs to "see" some of these things to build confidence before UF. Pitt game was way too sloppy and their ego is probably a bit bruised. Can't enter the swamp like that...nope...not at night especially. We have to come in with our nuts swingin.

Reactions: nesbuddha66
How does your VFL friend think he is doing in practice?
I agree that everyone wants guys to look good in practice. He deserves PT this week. He deserved more PT last year. Practice and games are two different things. He barely practiced last year. Idk why people love to hate on him. Maybe he won’t pan out maybe he will. Nobody will know until he gets a shot on game day. I hope he earns it by picking it up in practice. My main issue is everyone loves to put down his performance in the spring game because it’s a glorified practice but then wants to say “oh well he should practice better” to earn pt.

So…is Byron Young the savior of the defense like everyone is touting him, or is he the next big disappointment in a long line of “never played a down heroes” that has defined the last 14 years of UT football?
I think that his other defensive line guys are saying they can’t wait until he plays speaks volumes.

Imagine Baron and Young both getting into the backfield it will be nice. Don’t have to worry about drop off of a pass rush if they are rotating

Reactions: Smyrna ATL Vol
Hiring Kiffin was a homerun on paper. All the panic moves when he left are what killed the program. Dooley had no business being the HC. Kippy should have been named interim. But oh well…
Nothing about Kippy’s resume sells me that he would have solved anything. An unproven fix is unproven.

Reactions: Ulysees E. McGill
what_she_said_office.gif
1631572928352.gif

Reactions: VolsDoc81TX
I agree that everyone wants guys to look good in practice. He deserves PT this week. He deserved more PT last year. Practice and games are two different things. He barely practiced last year. Idk why people love to hate on him. Maybe he won’t pan out maybe he will. Nobody will know until he gets a shot on game day. I hope he earns it by picking it up in practice. My main issue is everyone loves to put down his performance in the spring game because it’s a glorified practice but then wants to say “oh well he should practice better” to earn pt.
I feel like the orange and white game does not matter bc we don’t know who was on the field or how it is set up….. usually it is just a show for fans….. in practice…. They try to simulate circumstance and put each QB in them…. Film them and determine who is the best option…. Has your VFL friend seen these practices or not?

Reactions: nicksjuzunk
Wild thought here, but maybe something in between. Even Derek Barnett was no savior. Think about that. BY is just one guy. He could be really good, but even expecting a DB or...idk...Curt Maggitt...would be high hopes. There's a lot of middle ground.

What matters is he improves the defense. Every player is incremental. He'll be a plus incrementally.

Who should USC go after?
Logical choice would be Luke Fickell. The AD that hired him at Cincinnati is now AD at USC as well. USC would also benefit from Fickell’s Old School toughness mentality on both sides that’s brought Cincinnati to the top of the Group of 5. Also think they’ll look at Franklin, Bob Stoops and Chris Petersen.

I feel like the orange and white game does not matter bc we don’t know who was on the field or how it is set up….. usually it is just a show for fans….. in practice…. They try to simulate circumstance and put each QB in them…. Film them and determine who is the best option…. Has your VFL friend seen these practices or not?
I promise I’m not questioning you. I know you have more insight and appreciate what you bring to the board. I just truly want to know why a spring game gets discounted when we base all this off how they look in practice. If Milton had gone through spring ball and showed out in the spring game I bet a different tune is being sung by many.

Reactions: Vols4us
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back