This fanbase doesn't get it

Hey.................just look how many years it took Stoops to turn around UK !!!! Now they are contenders fot the SEC EAST ! THINK ABOUT IT.................PATIENCE IS A VIRTUE THAT WE MUST HAVE . WE CAN NO LONGER CHANGE COACHES EVERY OTHER YEAR AND BE SUCCESSFUL. I am 74 years old and have been watching the Vols since age 16. I have earned the right to speak my mind. I do not have enough time to say what I really feel.

I’m pretty “ bullish” on Heupel. However, I am concerned that 1) he couldn’t figure out who our best QB was prior to the start of the season. It seemed he was hell bent on Milton because that’s the QB he brought in. 2) I’ll never understand not challenging the spot on the 3rd down play that looked to be a first down 3) I’ll also never understand or agree with any coach that takes a 4 th and 1/2 yard and turns it into a 4th and 6 by lining up in the shotgun . Other than thOSR and too many penalties ( undisciplined), I like the way our team played with more heart than we have seen in the last 4-5 years.

This glued together team of Huepel's looks 3x better prepared and functional than anything we have witnessed in the past 4 years. Now that bar ain't championship level high for sho. But, I hope we can give him 3 solid years to build this. I think he is going to.
Yeah they looked really prepared with all those penalties and starting a QB whom is inferior to his backup. He had the same penalties problem at UCF it isn’t a coincidence

Possible juggernaut ding dong.

Which also means he'll possibly be back to laughingstock by the end of the season; which would pretty much destroy any point you were trying to make and render your rant completely irrelevant.

Ding dong.

Hey.................just look how many years it took Stoops to turn around UK !!!! Now they are contenders fot the SEC EAST ! THINK ABOUT IT.................PATIENCE IS A VIRTUE THAT WE MUST HAVE . WE CAN NO LONGER CHANGE COACHES EVERY OTHER YEAR AND BE SUCCESSFUL. I am 74 years old and have been watching the Vols since age 16. I have earned the right to speak my mind. I do not have enough time to say what I really feel.

ROFL.....wut? The only year UK were "contenders" for the SEC East was 2018 when they finished 5-3 and second and no one seriously thought they'd beat out Georgia for the East.

My favorite is the people who only watch Tennessee play and have no idea what the rest of the college football world looks like. You know, the ones saying this year's Pitt team is a turd in a punchbowl that Tennessee should have manhandled.

This is one of Pitt's best teams in a decade or more with a no-joke quarterback and a very good defense. This isn't some scrub and the fact that we kept it close despite crapping in our britches constantly is something.

My favorite is the people who only watch Tennessee play and have no idea what the rest of the college football world looks like. You know, the ones saying this year's Pitt team is a turd in a punchbowl that Tennessee should have manhandled.

This is one of Pitt's best teams in a decade or more with a no-joke quarterback and a very good defense. This isn't some scrub and the fact that we kept it close despite crapping in our britches constantly is something.
This is what’s most frustrating to me. The fact that we have these opportunities to turn things around but never seize them. We always find a way to blunder them away. We had a chance to get a very nice, early season win against a very solid Pitt team, but couldn’t get out of our own way. These games are the program building blocks. Throttling Tennessee tech means nothing!
I mean Butch was on the cusp of turning this program around and had an SEC championship game appearance in his sights but we all know how that turned out.
When do we start taking advantage of the opportunities given and take the next step? How do we get out of the funk and stop 💩ing the bed, every time we have a chance to make a statement?
GBO!!

I don’t know about you but I am sick of the same old crap year after year after year. Aren’t you? What’s irrational about complaining? Especially when we are seeing the exact same things we have seen in previous years?

What do you think matters more to a recruit? Winning or how fans react on social media?
Well when you aren't winning AND the team's fanbase is toxic how do you think that helps us out? You have to separate the past from Heupel. He wasn't here. He has coached 2 whole games. I was very frustrated Saturday and I get it to an extent. But it's a bad look when people in the stands are booing players the first game and calling for a coaches job after game 2 knowing everything we are dealing with.

This is what’s most frustrating to me. The fact that we have these opportunities to turn things around but never seize them. We always find a way to blunder them away. We had a chance to get a very nice, early season win against a very solid Pitt team, but couldn’t get out of our own way. These games are the program building blocks. Throttling Tennessee tech means nothing!
I mean Butch was on the cusp of turning this program around and had an SEC championship game appearance in his sights but we all know how that turned out.
When do we start taking advantage of the opportunities given and take the next step? How do we get out of the funk and stop 💩ing the bed, every time we have a chance to make a statement?
GBO!!
The big positive is that this Pitt team is no doubt better than Tennessee Tech, South Carolina, South Alabama, Vanderbilt, and Mizzou, likely better than Kentucky, and close to Ole Miss. If- big if- we can clean up just a bit this season could be a great first start. I'm not saying we're going to go 8-4 or something, but this wasn't the big crushing loss some people are acting like it is.

Yeah I think we will score 30+ points per game this year with the exception of Georgia and Alabama games. What baffles me is, watching the game yesterday, it seemed like the defense played really well. But then look at the scoreboard and we gave up 41 points. I knew we were going to give up points in bunches, but it’s odd how it still happened considering defense looked solid yesterday.
I had a similar conversation with somebody this weekend like this. The only knock I have on the D right now is no pass rush. They're tackling and covering well. Much better than last year anyways. Overall, I'm encouraged by this staff. Early eye test says we are a better football team and better coached than last few years.

It’s gonna take time. No rational fan can think differently.

But this Athletic Department has used up all the good will and benefit of the doubt that this incredibly loyal fanbase has. The debacle that stayed with Fulmer’s last seasons and ended with Pruitt have depleted the reserves. Now it’s a “you gotta show me” situation.

I remain hopeful - not optimistic - but hopeful about this coaching staff. The thing that bothered me about the Pitt game is that we showed that we are still finding ways to lose very winnable games, especially those that are potentially defining moments in our dilapidated program’s progression. This team still has a loser mentality. That hasn’t been fixed. Penalties and other mistakes were (yet again) off the charts.

Fix it, and the fans will back off. This isn’t the fanbases’s problem - Put any other fanbase in this situation, and you’ll see the exact same thing. Maybe worse. This group of fans still
Shows up to games when all we’ve seen is incompetence and charlatanism for about 20 years.

Reactions: Chitlin&theDude
The big positive is that this Pitt team is no doubt better than Tennessee Tech, South Carolina, South Alabama, Vanderbilt, and Mizzou, likely better than Kentucky, and close to Ole Miss. If- big if- we can clean up just a bit this season could be a great first start. I'm not saying we're going to go 8-4 or something, but this wasn't the big crushing loss some people are acting like it is.
True. Probably very similar to UK and Ole Miss. We can compete. Just need to clean up mistakes and penalties.

Yeah I think we will score 30+ points per game this year with the exception of Georgia and Alabama games. What baffles me is, watching the game yesterday, it seemed like the defense played really well. But then look at the scoreboard and we gave up 41 points. I knew we were going to give up points in bunches, but it’s odd how it still happened considering defense looked solid yesterday.
27 points in the 2nd quarter was the killer. Played good the rest of the game.

Wish I were surprised that some want him gone after his second game as head coach. One would think the total chit storm our program has been would buy him at least a couple of years.
I don’t want him gone. That doesn’t mean that I don’t have concerns. I do like seeing our Offenes able to get this kind of ppg production. The defense looks much more passionate and focused. Kicking game is excellent. Let’s just see what happens. But let’s not pretend that the disappointment isn’t real.

A coach is much more likely to start his career struggling and level off at "average" than he is to reach the lofty heights of the elite. Make a chart showing that because that is where most coaches plateau.

Which also means he'll possibly be back to laughingstock by the end of the season; which would pretty much destroy any point you were trying to make and render your rant completely irrelevant.

Ding dong.
It wasn’t a rant, it was a point. If you would read to understand instead of reading to argue you would have understood that. There’s still 10 games to go and anything could happen which is why I didn’t speak in absolutes, but as of right now his program looks the part if you have watched them play.
Edit: sorry if I came off as an ass, didn’t mean it that way.

This. Most other places the stadium would be half empty or worse Saturday.

Ours seems to be heading that way (or at least half empty according to UT standards). The first couple of games we had execuses for so many empty seats (BG was a cupcake on an inconvenient Thursday night) and Pitt was a OOC noon game that we were supposed to win. Both games the upper section was half empty or more and they were practically giving tickets away for BG. UT never seemed to lower the prices on the Pitt game for the upper section which means people are not willing to pay "regular" prices to watch us anymore.

Both are bad signs even though our attendance is still posted in the box score as 84k for BG and 82k for Pitt. If the trend continues, we will be below 80k for TTU this weekend.

Pitt Points
Q1 - 0
Q2 - 27
Q3 - 7
Q4 - 7

We lost the game in the 2nd quarter. Eliminate many of the mistakes there and/or capitalize on the whiffs in Q1 and this game is a win.
The 2nd quarter has been a problem through 2 games. We have stalled out and we have played soft coverage. This is something that needs to be fixed ASAP.

Nick Saban's first 4 years at Michigan State: 6 wins, 6 wins, 7 wins, 6 wins. First year at Bama 7 wins.
Dabo Swinney's first 3 years at Clemson: 4 wins (in 7 games as the interim coach), 9 wins, 6 wins.
Brian Kelly's first 2 years at Central Michigan: 4 wins, 6 wins. First 2 years at ND: 8 wins, 8 wins.
Pete Carroll's first year at USC: 6 wins.

You guys would all be on here trying to run these guys off if they had the same start here at UT than at their previous stops. I would argue we are in a worse spot than all of those other school's when they took over their programs. A decade plus of instability, looming NCAA investigation and sanctions, the toughest conference in college football and the vocal idiots expect this dumpster fire of a program to be turned around in 2 games. Hell, look at our basketball program as an example. Rick Barnes had a losing record his first two seasons combined before he got it turned around. We aren't in a position to turn this around in year 1 and most likely year 2 either.

The reality is that no matter who we hired; this was going to be a rough year. We haven't recruited at a high enough level, haven't developed enough guys, and the bulk of our best players all left the program before the season. I have no idea if Heupel is the guy or not. Heupel was pretty far down the list in terms of our coaching wish list so honestly he probably isn't the guy long term. However, the hope is that he can bring in some talent, get us to 7 or 8 wins a year, and we are a much more attractive job for the guy to take us beyond that. Either way, blaming this dumpster fire of a program on Heupel is asinine and ridiculous.

Aah ... look the same post for 13678th time.

Ours seems to be heading that way (or at least half empty according to UT standards). The first couple of games we had execuses for so many empty seats (BG was a cupcake on an inconvenient Thursday night) and Pitt was a OOC noon game that we were supposed to win. Both games the upper section was half empty or more and they were practically giving tickets away for BG. UT never seemed to lower the prices on the Pitt game for the upper section which means people are not willing to pay "regular" prices to watch us anymore.

Both are bad signs even though our attendance is still posted in the box score as 84k for BG and 82k for Pitt. If the trend continues, we will be below 80k for TTU this weekend.

Says who? We opened as a 1-point dog and the line went up against us. Plus that accounts for the old 3-ish point home field advantage. You saying you're smarter than Vegas? Good luck.

Boy you sure live under the bottom of the privy. Careful of the poo piling up on your head.

Turd in a punchbowl? No? But great team....also no. Being their best in a decade is hardly a high bar to cross for Pitt football. That's an average ACC team in a weak ACC.

I guess it depends on how you're determining how good they are. I didn't a see a great defense, I saw a slow secondary that an accurate QB would have picked apart. I saw a good QB but a great one. And if Pitt was so great, they should have destroyed us yet one of our most inexperienced teams that made mistake after mistake only lost by 7. This feels like the typical average opponent pumping that happens around here when we lose to an early OOC team, a la Georgia St., Georgia Tech, BYU.

They play that same game against 11-12 other SEC teams Saturday, Pitt loses and it's probably not that close.

It wasn’t a rant, it was a point. If you would read to understand instead of reading to argue you would have understood that. There’s still 10 games to go and anything could happen which is why I didn’t speak in absolutes, but as of right now his program looks the part if you have watched them play.
Edit: sorry if I came off as an ass, didn’t mean it that way.

It's cool. I'm as frustrated as you are. Any sane Vol fan would be by now.

I agree with the other 5, but those 2? Not sure I buy it. I definitely don't buy they are better than Ole Miss. Ole Miss would have boatraced them Saturday. No way Ole Miss misses those wide open bombs.

VN Store

Back