This fanbase doesn't get it

It is when it's all over social media where recruits and everyone else sees it everyday.

What do you expect? Should the fan base just be happy that oh we lost to Pitt but Saban lost to blah, blah like 20 years ago? I have given this fan base a lot of crap and rightly so. But every TN fan that is a real fan deserves to be extremely pissed right now.

Yeah I think we will score 30+ points per game this year with the exception of Georgia and Alabama games. What baffles me is, watching the game yesterday, it seemed like the defense played really well. But then look at the scoreboard and we gave up 41 points. I knew we were going to give up points in bunches, but it’s odd how it still happened considering defense looked solid yesterday.
If you look at it though, Pitt plays up tempo too and runs about as many plays as we have so far if not more. We knew that they would put up some points on our Defense.

Our team has issues. No player development for three years- that is on Pruitt. NCAA penalties hanging over our head impacted recruiting- that is on Pruitt. We lost 30 players to the transfer portal, you can name many different reasons, but most of those are on Pruitt. Our top two players were held out the last game last year for taking money so they left- that is on Pruitt. If the NCAA hits us with significant scholarship losses- that is on Pruitt. No quarterback development over the past three years- that is on Pruitt. Undisciplined culture, that is on Pruitt. Being a laughing stock over the past three years, that is on Pruitt. It is going to be a bumpy ride, but you cant expect Heupel to fix all these issues in two games. Hell they wont be fixed in two years once the NCAA finishes with us. Let's place blame where it belongs- on the worse coach in Tennessee history- Pruitt.
You are right JT and coach Hype was a very brave man to take this job knowing what he was up against. He’s not done well with the QB business yet and he made a few mistakes yesterday but even as thin as we are I see improvement almost everywhere. Special teams played great and I didn’t see anybody quit. If we can find a QB in Hooker or HB, cut out the stupid penalties and limit turnovers we can still win 6.

Yeah I think we will score 30+ points per game this year with the exception of Georgia and Alabama games. What baffles me is, watching the game yesterday, it seemed like the defense played really well. But then look at the scoreboard and we gave up 41 points. I knew we were going to give up points in bunches, but it’s odd how it still happened considering defense looked solid yesterday.

Kentucky will be difficult to score 30 on tbh.

Heupel did a lot right yesterday and he also did some things wrong. Going to have to give him time before we can make a proper evaluation. 34 points against a pretty good defense with all that went wrong yesterday is encouraging.

Time?!?!? He was supposedly hired because he had Head Coach experience. Sheesh, quit making and accepting excuses for bad performances whether it's players, admin, or staff!

This coaching staff is going to get the full 5 years of their contract. People may not like to hear that. But the most important part of his process is Stability. UT hasnt had it at all. That isnt on the FB thats on Upper Management. This year we need to watch how he controls his teams emotions. Are we competitive. Do we have fight or do we give up. I like what i seen yesterday in terms of not giving up. They fought to the end. But the Penalties has to be addressed.

I’m sure it was and I’m not sure if that game is a fair stick to beat Pruitt with. Who knows. He was obviously incapable and I was guilty of being too forgiving of some of his crap. But yesterday was nothing like the WVU game. We were highly competitive and threatening on offense. At no point during Pruitts tenure was our offense this good

Yeah but that WV team was better than this Pitt team.

This glued together team of Huepel's looks 3x better prepared and functional than anything we have witnessed in the past 4 years. Now that bar ain't championship level high for sho. But, I hope we can give him 3 solid years to build this. I think he is going to.

What do you expect? Should the fan base just be happy that oh we lost to Pitt but Saban lost to blah, blah like 20 years ago? I have given this fan base a lot of crap and rightly so. But every TN fan that is a real fan deserves to be extremely pissed right now.
There's a difference in not being happy and mindlessly bitching and moaning about every little thing and being irrational.

There's a difference in not being happy and mindlessly bitching and moaning about every little thing and being irrational.

I don’t know about you but I am sick of the same old crap year after year after year. Aren’t you? What’s irrational about complaining? Especially when we are seeing the exact same things we have seen in previous years?

What do you think matters more to a recruit? Winning or how fans react on social media?

I think you meant to title this thread…”this admin doesn’t get it” and I completely agree.

What Fisher does or doesn't do at A&M, has zero bearing on what Heupel does or doesn't do at UT.

No, but the example did demonstrate that you can’t necessarily solve the UT football problem by spending your way out of it for a “big name coach.”

I thought our last coaching search demonstrated that as well.

I don’t know about you but I am sick of the same old crap year after year after year. Aren’t you? What’s irrational about complaining? Especially when we are seeing the exact same things we have seen in previous years?

What do you think matters more to a recruit? Winning or how fans react on social media?

Actually, both matter a lot.

Nobody wants to play where you’re pilloried online for playing your guts out to lose a tough game by one score.

Think about it. How would that have made you feel at 21 or 22? How would it have made your momma and/or grandma feel?

FFS, they’re human.

Nick Saban's first 4 years at Michigan State: 6 wins, 6 wins, 7 wins, 6 wins. First year at Bama 7 wins.
Dabo Swinney's first 3 years at Clemson: 4 wins (in 7 games as the interim coach), 9 wins, 6 wins.
Brian Kelly's first 2 years at Central Michigan: 4 wins, 6 wins. First 2 years at ND: 8 wins, 8 wins.
Pete Carroll's first year at USC: 6 wins.

You guys would all be on here trying to run these guys off if they had the same start here at UT than at their previous stops. I would argue we are in a worse spot than all of those other school's when they took over their programs. A decade plus of instability, looming NCAA investigation and sanctions, the toughest conference in college football and the vocal idiots expect this dumpster fire of a program to be turned around in 2 games. Hell, look at our basketball program as an example. Rick Barnes had a losing record his first two seasons combined before he got it turned around. We aren't in a position to turn this around in year 1 and most likely year 2 either.

The reality is that no matter who we hired; this was going to be a rough year. We haven't recruited at a high enough level, haven't developed enough guys, and the bulk of our best players all left the program before the season. I have no idea if Heupel is the guy or not. Heupel was pretty far down the list in terms of our coaching wish list so honestly he probably isn't the guy long term. However, the hope is that he can bring in some talent, get us to 7 or 8 wins a year, and we are a much more attractive job for the guy to take us beyond that. Either way, blaming this dumpster fire of a program on Heupel is asinine and ridiculous.
Amen to what you just wrote here! I've seen some things I've liked. Need to give CJP some time and see what he can do to turn around the mess he inherited. He certainly speaks in a much more intelligent way than his predecessor.

The 2nd quarter was the killer yesterday. The rest of the game was very competitive.

I don't remember a time where expectations were lower than expectations for the 2021 season. Perfect situation for a new coach. 3 more years, then we can talk.
I used to say three years for a new coach, buts let be honest, the signs are usually clear way before then. And we can’t keep throwing away three year chunks of our program’s history. If they are not pulling some serious upsets by the end of season 2 cut em lose. And especially don’t give extensions unless they earn them on the field.

Chip Kelly has lead teams to title games. Let's not compare resumes with our coach...
Ok, because I know for a fact this fan base wouldn’t care what he did at Oregon. A bunch of people would be saying the same **** after two games… lol give me a break.

Amen to what you just wrote here! I've seen some things I've liked. Need to give CJP some time and see what he can do to turn around the mess he inherited. He certainly speaks in a much more intelligent way than his predecessor.
Of course meant CJH!

Nick Saban's first 4 years at Michigan State: 6 wins, 6 wins, 7 wins, 6 wins. First year at Bama 7 wins.
Dabo Swinney's first 3 years at Clemson: 4 wins (in 7 games as the interim coach), 9 wins, 6 wins.
Brian Kelly's first 2 years at Central Michigan: 4 wins, 6 wins. First 2 years at ND: 8 wins, 8 wins.
Pete Carroll's first year at USC: 6 wins.

You guys would all be on here trying to run these guys off if they had the same start here at UT than at their previous stops. I would argue we are in a worse spot than all of those other school's when they took over their programs. A decade plus of instability, looming NCAA investigation and sanctions, the toughest conference in college football and the vocal idiots expect this dumpster fire of a program to be turned around in 2 games. Hell, look at our basketball program as an example. Rick Barnes had a losing record his first two seasons combined before he got it turned around. We aren't in a position to turn this around in year 1 and most likely year 2 either.

The reality is that no matter who we hired; this was going to be a rough year. We haven't recruited at a high enough level, haven't developed enough guys, and the bulk of our best players all left the program before the season. I have no idea if Heupel is the guy or not. Heupel was pretty far down the list in terms of our coaching wish list so honestly he probably isn't the guy long term. However, the hope is that he can bring in some talent, get us to 7 or 8 wins a year, and we are a much more attractive job for the guy to take us beyond that. Either way, blaming this dumpster fire of a program on Heupel is asinine and ridiculous.

Great post!!! I think most of us are concerned with all the penalties which opens up a question of the players being disciplined. I think most may also wonder why Hooker and Bailey never even got a look versus BG. There was no chance BG was putting together anything to upset UT in the second half. Why not play Hooker in the 3rd and Bailey in the 4th or vice versa??? CJH may be end up being one of the best coaches UT has ever had. But, he can't put all his judgement into how players perform in practice especially QBs that may not be able to move the ball with their feet like he likes. Bailey COULD be UT's best option to open up some running lanes by being more effective passing the ball. At least give the guy a chance vs TN Tech to see what he does!!!

Reactions: CJBlaze
What do you expect? Should the fan base just be happy that oh we lost to Pitt but Saban lost to Louisiana Monroe ? I have given this fan base a lot of crap and rightly so. But every TN fan that is a real fan deserves to be extremely pissed right now.
FIFY , it is seared in my brain because for some reason it has been referenced roughly 29 times a day for the last 14 years now .

The real question is does Heupel “get it “ ? I remember when Dooley first got it , Butch had it like a damn boss for awhile & even Pruitt got it when he had the 3rd longest winning streak against programs that had never had a guy named Steve as their HC before but alas it must have got lost somewhere down the line .

Last edited:

VN Store

Back