Tracing your ancestry

So far I have found a few ties to the civil war. The coolest being my 4th great-grandfather fought for the CSA and his bother for the USA.

So far I have found a few ties to the civil war. The coolest being my 4th great-grandfather fought for the CSA and his bother for the USA.

Same here! Ancestors on Dad's side were Union, and on Mom's side they were CSA. My great-great-great grandfather (Mom's side) served in the 6th Florida Infantry, and is buried in Knoxville at the Bethel Confederate Cemetery. The unit formed in March 1862, and he was dead by early August...I'm glad he and my great^3 grandmother got 'acquainted' in the conjugal sense prior to him joining up, or else I wouldn't exist.

Here is a fun little twist that's had me working all weekend to make sure I got it right. The two Red boxes are a brother and sister, and the two black boxes are a brother and sister. I thought I had lost my mind until I found paper work showing the info.

Untitled 1.jpg

We're probably one of few, but can trace my namesake back to when William the Conqueror granted my family a province back during the Norman invasion of the 1060's for fighting with him.

A large portion of them then moved to the South in the early years of colonization. Then about 80% of the males died fighting for their independence that was never meant to be. Very few of us left now.

Dan and Charlie Bailey.jpg

This is Dan and Charles Bailey. Also known as the Bailey Bros. They were born in Little Poor Valley near Pressmen's Home. Dan gained fame in the 1960's when he appeared on the nationally televised "Cas Walker Show" along with a teen age Dolly Parton. In her autobiography Dolly mentioned "Curly Dan Bailey" of whom she said she had a major crush.

These are my 2nd great granduncles. I have two of their records.

I have a very close relative who just did 23andMe testing a few months ago and found out that the man she thought was her Dad is not her Dad. Her Mom had an affair with a light-skinned Mexican guy. She looked different from her siblings, but none of her features were different enough that nobody suspected. It's kind of an awesome thing to find out because she never connected with her fake Dad. He's a jerk and she didn't live with him or see him much. Her biological Dad had been trying to reach her for a long time. He had even got a hold of her spouse before the DNA testing and it was ignored as a scam. Now that they've met, they keep in constant contact and he is so sweet to her. It's the craziest damn thing.

The story goes that she got drunk at the bar after she found out, comes home wasted and the conversation with her spouse went like this:

What's going on?

I'm a Mexican.

Huh? Like you drank tequila?

No. I'm a Mexican.

Last edited:
Just save some time and send your DNA samples straight to China and the feds.

They done have it. They just make us pay for the results. "Never let a good taxing and money grab go to waste." - US Gov

I have a very close relative who just did 23andMe testing a few months ago and found out that the man she thought was her Dad is not her Dad. Her Mom had an affair with a light-skinned Mexican guy. She looked different from her siblings, but none of her features were different enough that anybody suspected. It's kind of an awesome thing to find out because she never connected with her fake Dad. He's a jerk and she didn't live with him or see him much. Her biological Dad had been trying to reach her for a long time. He had even got a hold of her spouse before the DNA testing and it was ignored as a scam. Now that they've met, they keep in constant contact and he is so sweet to her. It's the craziest damn thing.

The story goes that she got drunk at the bar after she found out, comes home wasted and the conversation with her spouse went like this:

What's going on?

I'm a Mexican.

No. I'm a Mexican.

That's a cool story. I have met people on my dad's side I never knew. It's funny how much we miss out on today family and friend wise. The cell phone has the ability to give us any info we ask it, but IMO has also crippled us. Or maybe its just me. lol

Last edited:
What exactly is it?

It has a list of marriage records, and wills from Hawkins Co from before the court house burnt. They found copies in the old clerks house that they thought had been lost. What sucks is they didn't put them in order, so if you are looking for a month and year you may have to flip half the book to find it.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
I have no idea how I didn't know the courthouse had burned down. I have my dad's side all mapped out ( my Aunt took the time to do it ). My next Google search Hawkins County Courthouse fire.

I have a very close relative who just did 23andMe testing a few months ago and found out that the man she thought was her Dad is not her Dad. Her Mom had an affair with a light-skinned Mexican guy. She looked different from her siblings, but none of her features were different enough that nobody suspected. It's kind of an awesome thing to find out because she never connected with her fake Dad. He's a jerk and she didn't live with him or see him much. Her biological Dad had been trying to reach her for a long time. He had even got a hold of her spouse before the DNA testing and it was ignored as a scam. Now that they've met, they keep in constant contact and he is so sweet to her. It's the craziest damn thing.

What's going on?

I'm a Mexican.

No. I'm a Mexican.
I was looking at the census data recently and there is a huge uptick in people checking the box for mixed ethnicity, much more than would be explained by increased interracial coupling and immigration from countries with a lot of mixed people (Brazil for instance). I suspect that a lot of people are getting the DNA screen results and then changing their self-identification. it is an interesting phenomenon that will probably baffle demographers in the future if not given proper historical context now.

I was looking at the census data recently and there is a huge uptick in people checking the box for mixed ethnicity, much more than would be explained by increased interracial coupling and immigration from countries with a lot of mixed people (Brazil for instance). I suspect that a lot of people are getting the DNA screen results and then changing their self-identification. it is an interesting phenomenon that will probably baffle demographers in the future if not given proper historical context now.

I never thought of that. That is interesting

Reactions: VolunteerHillbilly
I have no idea how I didn't know the courthouse had burned down. I have my dad's side all mapped out ( my Aunt took the time to do it ). My next Google search Hawkins County Courthouse fire.

Record Loss
1863 Fire damaged courthouse records.
  • Lost censuses: 1790, 1800, 1810, 1820
  • Early marriages beginning in 1820, but incomplete due to damage
Hawkins County, Tennessee Genealogy

As for the reason it was burnt I haven't found a lot of info.

Here is a fun little twist that's had me working all weekend to make sure I got it right. The two Red boxes are a brother and sister, and the two black boxes are a brother and sister. I thought I had lost my mind until I found paper work showing the info.

View attachment 384244
So let's see. Double second cousins married each other? It took me 5 minutes just to come up with the concept of "double second cousins"

VN Store

Back