Tracing your ancestry

C1500

"Stay strapped, or get clapped."
I grew up Mormon and genealogy is a big deal in the faith. I never cared about doing my genealogy until now that I'm not Mormon, and I wanted to know about my non-Mormon lineage. Not a lot had been passed down to me from that side.

I did a DNA test last year and got 3 months free with Ancestry and I dinked around for a while building out my family tree. I didn't know my Dad's Mom very well and I found HS yearbook pictures of her. I discovered she was on the basketball team. I had no idea and I'm nuts for hoops. How many girls were playing hoops in 1930? Not many. The other crazy discovery was that I unknowingly named my daughter after my Grandma's closest sister. It is a traditional name, but it's not very common so this is a hell of a coincidence. My great Aunt had a nickname unrelated to her given name, and we only knew her by her nickname.

I came away from this feeling two kinds of ways...sad with a more clear realization that I didn't know my Grandma well enough, but I also felt more connected to her. I was left with a feeling that I'm connected to her in other ways that I'm still not realizing.
My big reason for even getting into it was due to me liking history. While I have 100's of books on U.S. and world history I know none of mine. It's to long of a story to dive into my family, but my father was a bit older then my mother. The gap in age made it so I didn't know anyone on my dads side but for a few people that hadn't passed. I was tore on even getting started since even if I find out nice little details, I'll still never have any time with them. What changed my mind was most people don't seem to care about family anymore. My wife lost her Papaw a few months ago and her biggest regret was that after she got done with college life became "to busy" to make time to go see them that often. Even if mine are gone I would like to have the information of their life, what they did, where did they serve if they did, stuff that if me and my wife have kids I can pass on to them. Or maybe I am just vain haha.

Do you have no concerns about sharing your DNA with folks on the internet? While unlikely, it’s entirely possible for you to be linked / or set up for a crime
On my part no. Any information that is needed for that is already all over the internet. If the government wants your DNA they can get it, if they don't already have it. Heck my coworker is in to that bitcoin stuff and talks about it all the time. I had never even typed it in my phone or looked anything up about it and I started getting bitcoin ads on youtubes app. I'm not keen on the 119$ to trust that some one is doing a DNA test and not just throwing stats and traits at the wall because I wouldn't know if it was true information of not.

C1500

"Stay strapped, or get clapped."
Not saying I agree with the Judge or that I think the Government should be able to force them to had over the Information. Just that a in few cases police has followed people to get their spit cups, paper they have wiped their mouth with, or picked up a butt after they got done smoking. Again not agreeing that its right just that they will get that stuff anyway if they want it. I have thought for years the school system has been collecting samples to send in, but thats for a conspiracy theory topic.

ArdentVol

They tell everybody they're a descendant of Edward III. That's how they suck you in.
Discovered a couple of Henry VIII links on maternal grandmother's tree, which leads back to an antebellum governor of Georgia who also served in the US House and US Senate.

Wife and also I did tthe Ancestry.com. saliva thing about 5 years ago. I was surprised to come in as 95% English. Maybe that explains my musical tastes in rock'n'roll,.

VN Store

Sponsors