Linebackers lowkey good

This is just hopium man. HT was a boss. Mitchell seems like a solid starter who is a bit one dimensional in his playstyle. Definitely a good pickup, but let's face facts: our defense is likely going to be terrible this year. We lost more talent this year than we have in recent memory... maybe for any team. I wouldn't be at all surprised if the combination with our new offensive style results in 30+ ppg being given up.

HT was NOT a boss last year. He had the makings of it as a freshman, but he regressed. Got trucked many times by 220 lbs RBs. Got confused in coverage far too often. He wasnt alone. There was bad play around, and I expect him to play better at Bama than he did here.

Mitchell gets of blocks and makes tackles and he actually had pass break ups! Much better in coverage than Henry T. Heś actually just a better LB period. Every down LB. He can play run and pass. Not sure where youŕe getting this one-dimensional stuff from.

What ¨facts¨ ??? Why are they going to be terrible?
LB) We lost a bad Crouch and an a good Henry T who lost too much weight.
We gained Mitchell and still have Banks and Garland who is out playing him. (EVEN)
Bennett and Johnson played a different style of OLB. Still losing 8 sacks between them isnt great but itś not paralyzing either. (TBD)

CB) We lost Bryce Thompson- very good CB. But we have a very much improved Burrell along with two other transfers and very talented freshman in Rucker. (IMPROVED)
S) Losing Key Lawrence wasnt good, but he wasnt even a starter. Still have Slaughter who beat him out and we added Charles ( EVEN)

DL) We added Rodney Garner- maybe the best DLine coach in college. And we cut some dead weight with a bunch of experience returning (IMPROVED++++)

So no, I dont see a talent deficiency. Itś not Hopium.
I see a more balanced defense that will have an offense to help keep them in every game.

He had all season but people inside the program have said he should have been starting. That’s directly from Swain
Right, and we don't always hear when guys are missing reps for each ankle tweak, skipping class, or in 2020 -- exposure to someone who tested positive. Here's hopiumimg that Beasley will walk straight and start to show what he can do.

So we need to stop comparing to last year. There was a different offense supporting it. You need to think big 12 football. Those defenses get points put up in them because the offense of those teams score a lot of points( okstate, Baylor, OU) the defense can be good but it will always have points scored in it. So when comparing to last years team. This current defense will give up more points and yards

No that is a cultural thing. Big 12 and Pac 12 culture of not emphazing defense.

SEC defense aint what it was either. College game has changed.
More importantly, weŕe not playing Big 12 offenses every week. And it wouldnt matter much anyway because defensively our personnel is better on defense than your average BIg 12 team.

LSU in 2019 was the most explosive highest scoring offense. Check the defense. They finished 33rd in scoring. 33rd isnt elite, but when you look at their performance against top 5 teams that season it tells a better story, They were good when they had to be. So 1st in offense + 33rd in defense = 15-0 NC

Bama in 2020...same story.

So no. It doesnt always mean that.

i

The linebackers are going to be low key not terrible. Which is good enough. DL and secondary will be improved.

Reactions: LittleVol
No that is a cultural thing. Big 12 and Pac 12 culture of not emphazing defense.

SEC defense aint what it was either. College game has changed.
More importantly, weŕe not playing Big 12 offenses every week. And it wouldnt matter much anyway because defensively our personnel is better on defense than your average BIg 12 team.

LSU in 2019 was the most explosive highest scoring offense. Check the defense. They finished 33rd in scoring. 33rd isnt elite, but when you look at their performance against top 5 teams that season it tells a better story, They were good when they had to be. So 1st in offense + 33rd in defense = 15-0 NC

Bama in 2020...same story.

So no. It doesnt always mean that.

i
First our coach is josh Huepel... big 12 OU. Then you say our defense is better than the average big 12 defense. No it’s not. We just lost freakin 40 players this offseason man. That’s foolish to say. The sec is turning into the big 12. Bama, us, atm, mizzo. This is what the game is turning into. I’ve made my stance not saying I’m correct or incorrect. You now have my why :)

Reactions: LittleVol
First our coach is josh Huepel... big 12 OU. Then you say our defense is better than the average big 12 defense. No it’s not. We just lost freakin 40 players this offseason man. That’s foolish to say. The sec is turning into the big 12. Bama, us, atm, mizzo. This is what the game is turning into. I’ve made my stance not saying I’m correct or incorrect. You now have my why :)
Well, Tex...luckily we dont have to wait too much longer to find out that iḿ right lol.

Although I am concerned about the defense the only player from last years defense that was close to being good was HT that's it. The defensive line should be better as well as the secondary. Linebackers is a major concern but they will probably play 4-2-5
JMO, but I thought Henry T. was the weakness of the defense last year. Too slow to cover and could not stop the run. Our middle was exposed all season.

The addition of Juwan Mitchell was crucial to this defense.
1) He's ever bit as good as the kid now at Bama that we lost.
2) He's a veteran guy.

As I was telling Eastnknox865, Garland has carved out a role on this defense. Really athletic dude that is getting better at LB with every rep. BJM said today that he will be a big factor for our defense this year. And I saw this happening as far back as spring. Because he was the best defender out there.

Now you throw in Jeremy Banks who has experience and Morvin Joseph that also super talented and you can use these guys and their talents situationally.

Willis now has time to sit and learn as a frosh along with Mohan...
Because Page and Beasley have played as well and are factors.

MLB J Mitchell 6'2 226, S Page 6'2 225
WLB K Garland 6'1 225, J Banks 6'1 230
- with Joseph and Mohan having pass rushing packages, while Willis can sit and learn without pressure how to call the defense.

That's as an athletic group we've had in a while.
I’ll bet Banks starts over Garland.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
The addition of Juwan Mitchell was crucial to this defense.
1) He's ever bit as good as the kid now at Bama that we lost.
2) He's a veteran guy.

As I was telling Eastnknox865, Garland has carved out a role on this defense. Really athletic dude that is getting better at LB with every rep. BJM said today that he will be a big factor for our defense this year. And I saw this happening as far back as spring. Because he was the best defender out there.

Now you throw in Jeremy Banks who has experience and Morvin Joseph that also super talented and you can use these guys and their talents situationally.

Willis now has time to sit and learn as a frosh along with Mohan...
Because Page and Beasley have played as well and are factors.

MLB J Mitchell 6'2 226, S Page 6'2 225
WLB K Garland 6'1 225, J Banks 6'1 230
- with Joseph and Mohan having pass rushing packages, while Willis can sit and learn without pressure how to call the defense.

That's as an athletic group we've had in a while.
I'm glad we got Juwan Mitchell, it was a key pickup, but let's be real, Henry T was the #1 rated player in the transfer portal, Juwan was # 97, certainly not chopped liver but that's not a trade in kind.

I’ll bet Banks starts over Garland.
He's more talented.
But Banks never seems to internalize anything.

Like the coaches said, they're trying to make him "slow down" ,so that he can properly learn the position. This has been his MO for 2 years now...
At one point does the light cut on and you begin to understand the position?

Garland is the new Colton Jumper imo.

This is just hopium man. HT was a boss. Mitchell seems like a solid starter who is a bit one dimensional in his playstyle. Definitely a good pickup, but let's face facts: our defense is likely going to be terrible this year. We lost more talent this year than we have in recent memory... maybe for any team. I wouldn't be at all surprised if the combination with our new offensive style results in 30+ ppg being given up.
I think you are thinking about year before last when we lost Taylor and Bituli. The only really solid player we lost this year was our CB, Bryce Thompson.

I'm glad we got Juwan Mitchell, it was a key pickup, but let's be real, Henry T was the #1 rated player in the transfer portal, Juwan was # 97, certainly not chopped liver but that's not a trade in kind.
I guess to them, sure.

Not what I see with my eyes tho. I see a better LB when I compare film in Mitchell.

Those rankings were largely based off recruiting profile in addition to what they had done in college.

Our linebackers are lowkey good?

giphy.gif

I hope you are right. If you are right ...

giphy.gif

In all honesty, I agree with you, OP.

e2c24d840ebb073dd8e73d802c8e20c6.gif

Look out SEC ... Here we come!

837f305fda68f8d22cd2f1ce5f07c60da3d453d6_00.gif

He's more talented.
But Banks never seems to internalize anything.

Like the coaches said, they're trying to make him "slow down" ,so that he can properly learn the position. This has been his MO for 2 years now...
At one point does the light cut on and you begin to understand the position?

Garland is the new Colton Jumper imo.
I think Garland plays but I’ve just got a gut feeling Banks will blow up this year. Especially in a simplified defense.

VN Store

Back