Tennessee vs Texas (merged)

Both use " UT". There was some sort of gentlemen's agreement between the Universities on this matter. Tennessee east of the Mississippi River and Texas west of it, except in Louisiana because LSU was west of the MR but in the SEC. Looks like they'll have to come up with something else now

Aggies call texas “t.u.”, as texas refers themselves as “the university”. They also refer to them as “t-sips”, because they are arrogant elitists.

There is only one UT.

Media can say whatever they want. Buy a big block letter T, then play for it however often we get to. Winner gets to paint it and say they're the real one until the next game rolls around.

Reactions: beamerman
The only people that call us UT are Tennessee fans anyway.

Just like we don't call Florida UF. At least not in conversation.

Reactions: jonnon111
Well, we were not called the University of Tennessee until 1879, but that was still four years before U Texas was established.
Actually, not UT officially until 1869 when land grant status was finally granted (would've been earlier, but the Civil War happened), so 14 years. The University of Texas didn't exist in any form until 1883. Either way UT gets the title before the burnt orange.

Honestly, I don't care.

My heart is filled with the nickname "Volunteer" and what it stands for. I love the name "Tennessee," it seems mystical and poetic in a native American way. I adore Knoxville. The Power T. The Vol Navy. Walking Horses. Tennessee whiskey.

But I've never felt any strong feelings about the acronym UT. Or UTK, either. It just never struck me as an important part of our identity.

I don't care if there are two UTs. I don't even care if the Texans try to use it in confusing situations. If they want to be petty about it, fine.

There's only one Volunteer spirit, and that spirit helped craft the state of Texas into existence. We're their daddies, just as North Carolina is Tennessee's mama.

They can share UT with us. That's fine.

Last edited:
With the mega-collossus SEC and them in the west with us in the east playing once every 4 years maybe 50 years in the future we'll have established a rivalry with Texas. I'll be nearly a 100 years old. I wonder if it's going to be a real rivalry or just one of those rivalries that lives in our minds but not in Texas fans' minds - kind of like Alabama fans and Florida fans now. Heck, I'll be so glad I made it to almost a 100 maybe I won't even care about Tennessee football anymore.

Reactions: Elhanan
I hope we get Texas soon. Both of us are in the same situation in that we have a lot of potential for success but have struggled in recent history.

@Weezer actually had a phenomenal idea for this game. Make it "The Battle for Betsy". For those who don't know, "Betsy" was Davy Crockett's rifle. Winner keeps a replica for a year. I think it would be awesome just to see the anti-gun twonks absolutely losing their minds over it.
Playing for a replica rifle shouldn’t be a problem since Texas already has a cannon they use at big games. Ironically, the cannon is named “Smokey”. Just something else they stole from us!!

Aggies call texas “t.u.”, as texas refers themselves as “the university”. They also refer to them as “t-sips”, because they are arrogant elitists.

There is only one UT.

With > 50,000 students on campus at Texas, it must be hard work for admissions to ensure that every last one of them is an arrogant elitist

Reactions: kcvols1

There is only one UT.

To be fair, having taught at both Texas and Tennessee, I should point out Tennessee students are way more polite and less pushy

Is it that bad? Lol
No it's not. People are just negative aholes for no reason on here, sometimes.

Yeah, us playing Texas every year would be awesome because of everything you mentioned. So much tradition at both schools. So much history in both states, and of course the whole Alamo thing. It could become one of my favorite rivalries.

5hsibq.jpg

VN Store

Back