PFF Predicts Hooker as the Starter?

Milton was enrolled pre spring game. So he didn’t go out and get a qb “after” the spring game. It was before. In fact Miltons name wasn’t even a mention until after Salter got in trouble and continued his antics. My “Maurer colored glasses” have nothing to do with this competition OR reasons why Milton was brought in. Your opinions on where Maurer finishes on the depth chart is simply your opinion and should be viewed as such. I think it’s ridiculous that I can’t make a comment about any qb without someone intentionally attaching Maurer to what I said. And if I react? Lord forbid “Maurer” is all I talk about. Also, fwiw, I said “the fourth qb” as in in the room. Not where he finishes on the depth chart.

Thanks for clarifying, I think I misunderstood some of what you wrote. Also had the timeline wrong. Thx. And yes...my opinions definitely should be viewed as that, nothing more. Probably that's true of 99.9% of people on this board.

We had the unknowns of Beasley and Willis. Them being factored in with the addition of Mitchell lessens the urge to run to the bridge. I’m sure you have company so I’ll add to the ample room to maneuver. 😏
I think our ILB room is actually deeper this year.

Mitchell and Banks. Beasley is back. He's a year older. Garland and Page didn't look hopeless and Willis is a stud. Then of course Harrison and Joseph can play in the middle too. I'm not sure what they'll do with them though.

Reactions: butchna
I think our ILB room is actually deeper this year.

Mitchell and Banks. Beasley is back. He's a year older. Garland and Page didn't look hopeless and Willis is a stud. Then of course Harrison and Joseph can play in the middle too. I'm not sure what they'll do with them though.
See a lot of flexibility. Pair that with proven linebacker coaches.

it was a joke I was correcting grammar.. it was stated eliminated which is the exact opposite of what was being pointed out .. he illuminated (aka highlighted, pointed out, made clear) as opposed to took away. If you run really well with the ball it does not eliminate your talent for running. Like if I eat out at 5 guys every day I eliminate any accusations of me being a vegan. but I illuminate the fact it might need some issues with cholesterol in the future. The ACL remark was kinda that. I just want to put all my fellow VFL's on the proper path to literacy. Even though, I have serious issues with punctuation personally. I am personally dyslexic so sensitive to such things.
No, I meant eliminated. I will illuminate you on the reason why. His ability to take off with the ball and run for big yardage is his greatest asset. The spring game doesn't allow QB's to be tackled, as such, if the defense touches you then you are down by contact. This ELIMINATES his ability to break tackles and run for big chunks of yardage.

Reactions: Orange_Crush
Please! Just win! Adapt, adjust, learn to avoid defenses reading where you are going to throw the ball, run for first downs and don’t get sacked. Make your line look good and make the right reads. Practice throwing to receivers until you can do it with your eyes close. Be the best you can be and keep you chin up. Just be a winner.

Reactions: tbh and sona
Thanks for clarifying, I think I misunderstood some of what you wrote. Also had the timeline wrong. Thx. And yes...my opinions definitely should be viewed as that, nothing more. Probably that's true of 99.9% of people on this board.
My apologies. It just gets old to not be able to participate in a conversation about qbs without people assuming a hidden agenda involving Maurer. I’ve lost interest in trying to convince anyone and now it’s time for him to prove me right or wrong. Is it still frustrating that some are so dead set against him that they deny what they see? Sure. But I’m relearning what I’ve known all along. People only see what they want to see and their opinions are greatly effected by it.

My apologies. It just gets old to not be able to participate in a conversation about qbs without people assuming a hidden agenda involving Maurer. I’ve lost interest in trying to convince anyone and now it’s time for him to prove me right or wrong. Is it still frustrating that some are so dead set against him that they deny what they see? Sure. But I’m relearning what I’ve known all along. People only see what they want to see and their opinions are greatly effected by it.

Good words, 1vol8. I like your avi, too.

Reactions: 1vol8
Confidence. Biggest asset for a QB. Who’s confidence is the highest after their last game / scrimmage? Now that may change after a few negative plays in the fall practice but if it impacts Bailey, then he may not quite mentally tough enough at this stage of his career. I like them all but like many things in life, you can’t keep them all.
Personally I love QBs that can run but that is not what usually stands out in the modern SEC.

I have no idea on who starts at qb this year.

I do believe that Milton will start simply because the staff knows him from recruiting him when they were in Fla. and I
don't believe JH would have signed him if he didn't feel he could coach him into being productive immediately at UT.

I don't think JH feels that HB is currently prepared for starting. Milton/Bailey will be 1/2 JMO.

With that being said, it will probably be HH starting.

My feeling is a 7-5 season regardless of who starts, mainly due to ease in scheduling.

I have no idea on who starts at qb this year.

I do believe that Milton will start simply because the staff knows him from recruiting him when they were in Fla. and I
don't believe JH would have signed him if he didn't feel he could coach him into being productive immediately at UT.

I don't think JH feels that HB is currently prepared for starting. Milton/Bailey will be 1/2 JMO.

With that being said, it will probably be HH starting.

My feeling is a 7-5 season regardless of who starts, mainly due to ease in scheduling.
Same can be said for Maurer because Heupel had him as a priority for the 2019 class after watching him live (or some representation from UCF) several times his junior year. However I don’t believe that alone gives him an edge. Milton will have to earn it the same as Maurer or anyone else.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
I don't think he's going to win the starting job, but the spring game eliminated his greatest asset. He's our most dangerous QB as a runner. He can not only extend plays and get first downs with his legs, but is also a threat to take it the distance from nearly anywhere. A QB capable of regularly breaking 30+ yard runs is a nightmare for defenses. In this offense, that doesn't matter as much if he isn't a threat to complete the deep ball though.

My though exactly. If an offense is set up and geared to throw the ball, then that's what you do. In his case, if he proves he can throw the ball, and only runs when no throw is there, then that's another story.

Reactions: bigl3327
Here is the rub ... spring of 1984 ... (Florida QB situation as an EXAMPLE) ...

Spring of 1984, The Florida coaching staff indicated that eight players — Dale Dorminey(SR), Donnie Whiting(SO), Roger Sibbald (SR), Darryl Crudup (FR), Kerwin Bell (R-FR walk on), Brian Massingill, Clifton Reynolds, Rodney Brewer, — would compete for the quarterback spot.

Donnie Whiting (SO), Dale Dorminey (SR) had 41 plays between them in '83 in mop up role. They were the potential 'leading' candidates to win the QB position.
There was also Roger Sibbald (SR) (recruited and still listed as QB, but played SS in '82 and '83).

Fast forward to the spring game, Kerwin was told that he would get only ONE series at the game. After the game, he was told, "You're a darkhorse candidate."
As pre-season practice came and went, so too went Roger Sibbald, he moved over the the defense, permanently.
Next shoe to drop, Donnie Whiting became academically ineligible and eventually transferred to Iowa State.
Clifton Reynolds moved over to receiver.

However, buried on the depth chart and wanting to play QB, Derrick Crudup transferred to OU (and sit out 1984) rather than move over to DB. He transferred over just in time to watch Troy Aikman play QB for Oklahoma! Oh, and he ended up playing DB at OU. (Rumors are that Galen Hall recommended the move.)

In the fall it was down to ..
Dorminey was followed by Brewer, Bell and Massingill on the depth chart

Monday before the Miami game
Dorminey was followed by Bell, Brewer and Massingill on the depth chart
#1 Dale Dorminey (Sr) was named the starting quarterback.
Then, on Tuesday, he suffered a knee injury in practice before opening game. Tuesday night...
Kerwin Bell was given the starting nod and set a ton of Florida's passing records. In January of '85, he went on scholarship.

The bottom line, anything can happen and we will just have to wait and see how this plays out.

Last edited:
I think so many are banking on the spring game as some sort of certification. Those same people are excluding the rules of the spring game from an actual real game. I like all of our guys, but Heupel's offense seems most dangerous with a mobile QB. May the best QB win the job and lead us to victory!

I think so many are banking on the spring game as some sort of certification. Those same people are excluding the rules of the spring game from an actual real game. I like all of our guys, but Heupel's offense seems most dangerous with a mobile QB. May the best QB win the job and lead us to victory!
SEEMS like Drew Lock and Dillon Gabriel fan it at a dangerous level and Jason White/Sam Bradford won Heismans with him as the playcaller. None of those are dual threats. So Paul Thompson and McKenzie Milton trump all that?

SEEMS like Drew Lock and Dillon Gabriel fan it at a dangerous level and Jason White/Sam Bradford won Heismans with him as the playcaller. None of those are dual threats. So Paul Thompson and McKenzie Milton trump all that?
I dont quite think it was Heupel's offense, but similar! I think as a HC he's put his own little wrinkles in there!

Here is the rub ... spring of 1984 ... (Florida QB situation as an EXAMPLE) ...

Spring of 1984, The Florida coaching staff indicated that eight players — Dale Dorminey(SR), Donnie Whiting(SO), Roger Sibbald (SR), Darryl Crudup (FR), Kerwin Bell (R-FR walk on), Brian Massingill, Clifton Reynolds, Rodney Brewer, — would compete for the quarterback spot.

Donnie Whiting (SO), Dale Dorminey (SR) had 41 plays between them in '83 in mop up role. They were the potential 'leading' candidates to win the QB position.
There was also Roger Sibbald (SR) (recruited and still listed as QB, but played SS in '82 and '83).

Fast forward to the spring game, Kerwin was told that he would get only ONE series at the game. After the game, he was told, "You're a darkhorse candidate."
As pre-season practice came and went, so too went Roger Sibbald, he moved over the the defense, permanently.
Next shoe to drop, Donnie Whiting became academically ineligible and eventually transferred to Iowa State.
Clifton Reynolds moved over to receiver.

However, buried on the depth chart and wanting to play QB, Derrick Crudup transferred to OU (and sit out 1984) rather than move over to DB. He transferred over just in time to watch Troy Aikman play QB for Oklahoma! Oh, and he ended up playing DB at OU. (Rumors are that Galen Hall recommended the move.)

In the fall it was down to ..
Dorminey was followed by Brewer, Bell and Massingill on the depth chart

Monday before the Miami game
Dorminey was followed by Bell, Brewer and Massingill on the depth chart
#1 Dale Dorminey (Sr) was named the starting quarterback.
Then, on Tuesday, he suffered a knee injury in practice before opening game. Tuesday night...
Kerwin Bell was given the starting nod and set a ton of Florida's passing records. In January of '85, he went on scholarship.

The bottom line, anything can happen and we will just have to wait and see how this plays out.
A post of excellence. Seriously, thank you. I might just hold off opining who is our best bet until long about Sept.1st, or after.

VN Store

Back