PFF Predicts Hooker as the Starter?

Its going to narrow down to Bailey or Milton. Hooker can run but so can Milton we just didn't get to see him in the spring game. IMO by the UF game those 2 will be running 1-2 on the depth chart and both could see game time play depending on the other teams defense.

I'll suggest that if Heupel's eye for QB talent is not better than those on VN, then we're truly screwed. His primary claim to fame is his own QB history and his development of Drew Lock at Missouri.

If he lacks the ability to judge QBs, we're in worse shape than we were with "defensive guru" Pruitt. Heupel has never been known for anything else but offense, particularly fast tempo, heavily QB read based offense. It all begins and ends with the QB being smart, able to read the D, and making good quick decisions.

The D is thin. ALL of us know..... EVERYONE knows...... there's simply no doubt, the D is thin, yet Heupel went after Milton when we had 4 QBs in the room. Some say: Milton is a specimen, you have to take him. Seriously? The D is thin but you go for a QB when Maurer, Salter, Bailey and Hooker are already in the room.

Something doesn't add up. I could understand picking up Milton if the D was solid and deep. It's not.

So I'm left with lousy choices: Heupel is, in your words, not capable of discerning a QB with "high school" progression checking ability or Heupel is so focused on offense and a QB that he'll leave the D recruiting out to dry to go fishing for a QB or Heupel is a better judge than us and the QB situation is sketchy enough that we needed Milton.

I'm not claiming to know the solution but just look at what happened: 4 QBs were in the room at the time Milton signed (and 2 were VERY highly touted, Bailey and Salter) and the D is thin, especially in the secondary. I'll agree we've done a damn good job of trying to plug holes but we're still pretty thin.

I just ask: Why? Milton isn't Tua, Trevor or Fields and we had more pressing needs. I don't get it.
We’re 3 deep on the D-Line…and took TWO transfers. So quit with the “everyone”…just cuz you think it. Already covered the rest of your post and not interested in driving around in a circle.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
We’re 3 deep on the D-Line…and took TWO transfers. So quit with the “everyone”…just cuz you think it. Already covered the rest of your post and not interested in driving around in a circle.
So, coming out of Spring practice, you think the needs of this team warranted a QB, not a LB? You think the "hurt" was QB, not the defensive secondary?

No one is worried about the D except me..... got it.

Reactions: pimo1
I don't think he's going to win the starting job, but the spring game eliminated his greatest asset. He's our most dangerous QB as a runner. He can not only extend plays and get first downs with his legs, but is also a threat to take it the distance from nearly anywhere. A QB capable of regularly breaking 30+ yard runs is a nightmare for defenses. In this offense, that doesn't matter as much if he isn't a threat to complete the deep ball though.
illuminated...or did a tear an ACL?

I’m a firm believer that Milton was brought in to be the 4th qb. Heupel has been closely involved with each of these qbs and Salter was already showing his ass and had gotten in trouble before Milton was ever brought in. His attitude after being arrested the first time hadn’t improved and I’m sure Heupel had the same feeling most of us had. “This kid isn’t going to last long.” If you think about it from that angle, it makes perfect sense to go after a qb because 3 isn’t enough. And this narrative that “he doesn’t like what he has” can be put to bed.

I don't think it's a "narrative." And if it is, it ain't sleepy. There has to be a reason that Heupel went out and got a QB after spring ball. Most teams have three legit QBs on their team. With all our positions of need, we bring in a transfer to be the fourth? Nah. Milton is too good of an athlete (pro prospect based on his measurables) and has too much experience at one of the best college football programs in the country to come into UT as the so-called "4th qb." Heupel recruited this guy to play on his UCF team. He's not a scout team player or bench sitter. Many other teams out of the 130 in this country would gladly take him and he'd play immediately and get showcased. Milton didn't come here to be the "4th qb." I think your Maurer-colored lenses are manufacturing that idea. I think if there's a 4th on the team, it's Brian Maurer. Feel free to give me a "this aged well" rebuke if I'm wrong and he balls out this fall. I'd be fine with that. But personally, I think this is Maurer's last year as a Vol. I like him and wish him well. I hope he even gets a few years in the league but I'd give 50/50 odds on that.

Hooker will have to play better than he has ever played in college to win the starting role!

Last edited:
Reactions: plaincityvol
I hope we go with the right guy. I'd count on at least one if not more transfers once we have a clear QB1.

Reactions: butchna
It’s also worth noting that the QB position has been chaotic throughout Fuentes tenure at VT. It seems like he can never find what he wants. I thought Hooker was the best option and he put up pretty good numbers.
It was said by Tech fans here in Virginia that he runs scared. TIFWIW

I'm like everyone else here..... I want the QB to be whoever gives us the best chance to win. I know we all need Instant Satisfaction however with what us as fans has dealt with and the team itself falling apart from millionaires making ridiculous choices we just AGAIN must be patient and hope for progress toward at least giving our opponents competition each and every weekend. I'm tired of Losing as is every other true fan here.

By the way... I like Bailey, he seemed a bit out of sorts last year but showed potential. Maybe another year will get him ready

So, coming out of Spring practice, you think the needs of this team warranted a QB, not a LB? You think the "hurt" was QB, not the defensive secondary?

No one is worried about the D except me..... got it.
We had the unknowns of Beasley and Willis. Them being factored in with the addition of Mitchell lessens the urge to run to the bridge. I’m sure you have company so I’ll add to the ample room to maneuver. 😏

Reactions: PlanetVolunteer
I don't think it's a "narrative." And if it is, it ain't sleepy. There has to be a reason that Heupel went out and got a QB after spring ball. Most teams have three legit QBs on their team. With all our positions of need, we bring in a transfer to be the fourth? Nah. Milton is too good of an athlete (pro prospect based on his measurables) and has too much experience at one of the best college football programs in the country to come into UT as the so-called "4th qb." Heupel recruited this guy to play on his UCF team. He's not a scout team player or bench sitter. Many other teams out of the 130 in this country would gladly take him and he'd play immediately and get showcased. Milton didn't come here to be the "4th qb." I think your Maurer-colored lenses are manufacturing that idea. I think if there's a 4th on the team, it's Brian Maurer. Feel free to give me a "this aged well" rebuke if I'm wrong and he balls out this fall. I'd be fine with that. But personally, I think this is Maurer's last year as a Vol. I like him and wish him well. I hope he even gets a few years in the league but I'd give 50/50 odds on that.
Heupel recruited Maurer also. Doesn’t matter what Milton’s intentions were with the transfer. Gotta win the job.

Reactions: volinthenorth
Milton was enrolled pre spring game. So he didn’t go out and get a qb “after” the spring game. It was before. In fact Miltons name wasn’t even a mention until after Salter got in trouble and continued his antics. My “Maurer colored glasses” have nothing to do with this competition OR reasons why Milton was brought in. Your opinions on where Maurer finishes on the depth chart is simply your opinion and should be viewed as such. I think it’s ridiculous that I can’t make a comment about any qb without someone intentionally attaching Maurer to what I said. And if I react? Lord forbid “Maurer” is all I talk about. Also, fwiw, I said “the fourth qb” as in in the room. Not where he finishes on the depth chart.

Last edited:
Not that I know of.
it was a joke I was correcting grammar.. it was stated eliminated which is the exact opposite of what was being pointed out .. he illuminated (aka highlighted, pointed out, made clear) as opposed to took away. If you run really well with the ball it does not eliminate your talent for running. Like if I eat out at 5 guys every day I eliminate any accusations of me being a vegan. but I illuminate the fact it might need some issues with cholesterol in the future. The ACL remark was kinda that. I just want to put all my fellow VFL's on the proper path to literacy. Even though, I have serious issues with punctuation personally. I am personally dyslexic so sensitive to such things.

Hooker is the type of QB that can see a gap in pass defense, plant his foot, and be 15 yds up field. There were so many opportunities in the spring game for him to bust big runs…he must have been told to stay in the pocket. Not saying he’s the starter but if he’s allowed to do his thing…he’s a real nightmare for defenses.

Know it is only a highlight reel but I like his decisiveness. Most of these throws were against inferior talent or wide open but he gets the ball out quick. Ball isn't pretty but fairly accurate and good power. I'd like to see the throws he struggles with to get a sense of who he is as a passer.

VN Store

Back