Baileys future if he isnt named the starter?

I will revisit the "most overrated Vol" thread seeing how Bailey was supposed to be the next Manning.

Nothing's a given for anyone...you have to compete, but let's not over think it. All indications he's the best one of the bunch from a mental grasp, accuracy, getting ball out quick...mobility is a plus, but doesn't trump knowing how to efficiently distribute the ball and run the offense. If he doesn't win the job and wants to transfer, he should...same for other QB's. Every team has a starting QB, and those that don't. Someone has to give us best shot to win, and that guy's going to be the QB, based on what the coaches believe.
Getting the ball out quickly??
Have you ACTUALLY watched him?
That is one of his biggest weaknesses.

He's enough of a run threat to where you can't completely ignore it.
But his playing speed needs to quicken.

Reactions: Lurker
I don't have anything against any of the guys. I suspect Bailey will leave if he isn't the starter or at least #2. But I think the same is true of all 4. All have the talent to start somewhere.

All of these guys have something that holds them back. Bailey isn't a factor in the run game. Maurer is inconsistent. Hooker is "solid" at almost everything but not elite at anything. Milton has amazing physical talent but he had a bad habit of throwing the ball into trouble and going really, really cold when his team needed completions.

Bailey's chances rest with none of the others being able to overcome their fatal flaws and for him to do what he does flawlessly. He isn't going to become a run threat. The others have the opportunity to overcome what ails them.
Iā€™ve said this multiple times and I stand by it. The passing game opens up even more with a QB that can take an open void at the LB level busting it for a 10+Yd run in this type of scheme.

Hooker did it multiple times at a VaTech with great success and lesser talent around him. It got him in rhythm too. For whatever reason during the spring gameā€¦he had multiple opportunities to tuck it and bust some good possibly big runs. He didnā€™t take them. Maybe it was a decision from the sideline who knows. He looked uncomfortable in the pocket with that being said.

Bailey on the other hand is going to sling any and everywhere. He has a very high football IQ. He was an extremely accomplished HS QB with the Georgia All Time HS stats to back it up. It would be hard pressed to see him not win it out right given he is the purest guy at that position. Unless he comes out of the gate strugglingā€¦or Hooker/Milton somehow have the immediate light bulb click on in practiceā€¦heā€™s the guy. Maurer is out of his league in the SEC imho.

Reactions: Remy
Iā€™ve said this multiple times and I stand by it. The passing game opens up even more with a QB that can take an open void at the LB level busting it for a 10+Yd run in this type of scheme.

Hooker did it multiple times at a VaTech with great success and lesser talent around him. It got him in rhythm too. For whatever reason during the spring gameā€¦he had multiple opportunities to tuck it and bust some good possibly big runs. He didnā€™t take them. Maybe it was a decision from the sideline who knows. He looked uncomfortable in the pocket with that being said.

Bailey on the other hand is going to sling any and everywhere. He has a very high football IQ. He was an extremely accomplished HS QB with the Georgia All Time HS stats to back it up. It would be hard pressed to see him not win it out right given he is the purest guy at that position. Unless he comes out of the gate strugglingā€¦or Hooker/Milton somehow have the immediate light bulb click on in practiceā€¦heā€™s the guy. Maurer is out of his league in the SEC imho.
I won't say that about Maurer or any of them. All have flaws. All of those flaws have the potential to be fatal. Maurer may have the most physical talent all around of any of them. He has a very good arm. He's the fastest of all of them. He has gained weight and will probably play no lighter than 205. Physically he's probably the closest to the modern "prototype" QB UT has. In as much as that is true... he can't be written off.

When I think of the dismissals of Maurer, I can't help but think of it in comparison to the assumptions made about Milton. Milton is a physical specimen. He's a big, willing runner but won't be mistaken for Dobbs or even Maurer in terms of being fast or nimble. He has an absolute cannon. But if you watch his full games... you see inconsistency worse than Maurer showed. He gets wild at times and other times he just makes really bad decisions with the ball.

But much like an incoming recruit... people like hype and unknowns over the flaws of the guy who is known.

I guess we could say that it comes down to a risk reward analysis from where we sit. Hooker and Bailey offer lower risks. The potential rewards aren't going to be as high... but they may give you a better shot at a solid 7 wins. OTOH, Milton and Maurer are high risk, high potential reward. If one of them gets more consistent then they give you a legit shot at maybe 9 wins or an upset along the way. But their mistakes could also yield a 4 or 5 win season with musical chairs at QB.

Last edited:
he did. BUT, he really struggled in the other 14 outings including scrimmages.. which was why he didn't get the start in O&W game. But none of the QBs were up to par which is why the rush to Milton.
Milton will have to improve significantly over what he did in his playing time at Michigan to be the answer or better than any of the rest. There were times when he flashed a great arm and great accuracy. He doesn't look fast but is a power runner when needed. However, he frequently made really bad decisions and threw into coverage. Other times he was wildly inaccurate. He was good at times vs Indiana and other times he was downright awful.

Milton will have to improve significantly over what he did in his playing time at Michigan to be the answer or better than any of the rest. There were times when he flashed a great arm and great accuracy. He doesn't look fast but is a power runner when needed. However, he frequently made really bad decisions and threw into coverage. Other times he was wildly inaccurate. He was good at times vs Indiana and other times he was downright awful.

Oh I completely agree. Saw him several times while he was at Michigan. Heupel does believe he can make him better..

Would be ironic if as bad as the previous staff was with the roster that they ended up being right that Guarantano was the best QB on the roster.

Oh I completely agree. Saw him several times while he was at Michigan. Heupel does believe he can make him better..

Would be ironic if as bad as the previous staff was with the roster that they ended up being right that Guarantano was the best QB on the roster.
I'm not very concerned about that. I am more concerned that the development of Maurer and Bailey was damaged by the fixation on JG.

There were times when Milton threw balls that very few guys can throw. He hit some incredibly tight windows.... then other times he threw it right to the wrong side.

I will revisit the "most overrated Vol" thread seeing how Bailey was supposed to be the next Manning.
It's a shame really. Some fans grasped onto his inflated recruitment because he was identified so early on. By the time he graduated, he was the 100th recruit in his class. I think he'd have a lot more reasonable expectations if not for being an early bloomer.

People just need patience with the kid. He'll be fine, needs to develop. If it takes till next year or year after, who cares? Very few hit it right off the bat and are the exceptions.

Reactions: whodeycin85
Bailey is the starter until heā€™s not.
My guess is Mixon becomes the back up now.
Hooker is just a solid back up because he only has 1 season.
Mauer is the transfer risk.
Hooker has the most experience and a good run game. Wouldn't doubt him so quickly. That said, I think his deep game worried VT (they apparently schemed around it) and that would worry Hype even more. Same could be said for HB unless he's improved in that area.

Not sure staff won't be settling quite a bit regardless of who plays.

If he does leave, Id be willing to bet he goes back home and starts at UGA once Daniels leaves.

But I am convinced he starts, at a minimum take the first snaps for the first couple games, especially after the way he threw the ball in the O&W game.

Bailey would never see the field at UGA. Better talent waiting in the wings there.

I'm not very concerned about that. I am more concerned that the development of Maurer and Bailey was damaged by the fixation on JG.

There were times when Milton threw balls that very few guys can throw. He hit some incredibly tight windows.... then other times he threw it right to the wrong side.

its a fact, not a single QB has shown yet they can consistently win in the SEC. Reason why doesn't matter, they still have to prove they can do it.

He will start or he will probably transfer. Just the way it is now days. If a kid thinks they have put in the time and not gotten a fair shake they transfer out of most programs.

The young man has to look out for his future and I respect and understand that and wish the young man the best!

its a fact, not a single QB has shown yet they can consistently win in the SEC. Reason why doesn't matter, they still have to prove they can do it.
That's the thing with Pruitt though. He was so fixated on practice being a predictor of games that he refused to give up on JG.

We are both more than old enough to have seen it played differently. Fulmer often developed young QB's OJT. There's no reason to expect Bailey or even Maurer to perform as well as JG in practice. But a good HC would have seen that the starter wasn't able to get it done and then "played for the future" with one of the young guys. It probably would have been Bailey... and IMO he would have been at least as good as JG within a couple of games. On game day at least.

Since when is competition at the QB position a bad thing. Could make them both better and even produce an effective 2 QB system.

Reactions: BoroVol93
Thatā€™s why General Neyland created Fall camp.

I am continually amazed that some people doubt Harrison Bailey. He shafted by Pruitt because Pruitt had no idea what a real QB looked like, but he showed, in his short appearances that he has the tools to be a great QB.

In the Spring Game, NOBODY was anywhere close to him. I only hope Josh is smart enough to give him the position to prove he is the best we have. Those QB who transferred in are very good athletes, but they are not QBs. They react much like JG. They will make a good play every once in a while, but will be very inconsistent and will kill drives and take the heart out of our offense. Their passing skills are very limited, just as JG.

We cannot afford to experiment with guys who cannot be reliable. HB is a guy who will be.
All four have significant flaws/liabilities... including Bailey. All three are quarterbacks... not just athletes. We now have 4 guys trying to overcome the things that hold them back to claim the job. Choosing a "favorite" is foolish. Just let the best man win and then support him.

Larry posts on VQ. Go with the $9.95. šŸ˜
He's one of the few true, consistent "insiders" I've seen in my years here. However he also interprets what he sees and hears... and tends to tint things negative.

Of course being an "insider", his lines to the program have ebbed and flowed with the changes over the last 15 years. Sometimes his info or the info of the guy who gave him info... isn't completely reliable or else it is true in a moment in time and becomes untrue later.

VN Store

Back