Baileys future if he isnt named the starter?

He heads to another SEC school or Clemson and becomes an All American there.

LOL HB has been VOL from day one of his recruitment. He will relish in the competition he didn't get elsewhere, cause he knows how good he is, and this fan base will support him. He will eat it up for a time, and try to take it back.

Aerie, that is super cool, that you played with both those fellas. :)
Funniest thing about it is (at the time) when my friends were telling me the other team forfeited because they played former players who weren't even enrolled, they said one of the guys was some guy named Owens. As a Vols fan, I hadn't followed Mocs ball and had never even heard of him.

I'm like, "who's that?"

Went on to be HOF. Lol.

I would bet he does not start the whole season even if he is the starter in the first game this fall. Most likely will transfer to Florida, Georgia, Bammer, LSU, Clemson, or Ohio State.

If he's not named the starter i think he stays and waits his turn, something most of today's kids won't do, that's how it used to be but nowadays they're treated like rock stars right out of highschool so they're to good to learn behind someone

he won't sit behind Milton for 2 years. IMO
I have doubts about Milton after watching full game video from his time at Michigan. He gets wild at times where he is way off the mark with his throws. He also has a habit of throwing the ball into trouble- check the IU game.

Reactions: tnvols72
Bailey is the starter until he’s not.
My guess is Mixon becomes the back up now.
Hooker is just a solid back up because he only has 1 season.
Mauer is the transfer risk.

I have doubts about Milton after watching full game video from his time at Michigan. He gets wild at times where he is way off the mark with his throws. He also has a habit of throwing the ball into trouble- check the IU game.

Heupel has been recruiting him since he was a high school sophomore. He was not happy with spring QB play. Milton may not be the man but the man may not be on campus..

Bailey looked pretty good in the spring game. But he was also throwing the ball against 2and and 3rd team defense.

Bailey looked pretty good in the spring game. But he was also throwing the ball against 2and and 3rd team defense.

he did. BUT, he really struggled in the other 14 outings including scrimmages.. which was why he didn't get the start in O&W game. But none of the QBs were up to par which is why the rush to Milton.

What happens to any of them if they don't win the starting job. Not everyone gets to start. If Bailey doesn't win the starting job it's because the coaches decided someone else was better suited to be the starter. If Bailey decides to leave because he lost the battle so be it. If he stays and decides to fight again another day so be it.

Reactions: GetYouSomeofThat
I am continually amazed that some people doubt Harrison Bailey. He shafted by Pruitt because Pruitt had no idea what a real QB looked like, but he showed, in his short appearances that he has the tools to be a great QB.

In the Spring Game, NOBODY was anywhere close to him. I only hope Josh is smart enough to give him the position to prove he is the best we have. Those QB who transferred in are very good athletes, but they are not QBs. They react much like JG. They will make a good play every once in a while, but will be very inconsistent and will kill drives and take the heart out of our offense. Their passing skills are very limited, just as JG.

We cannot afford to experiment with guys who cannot be reliable. HB is a guy who will be.

Reactions: plaincityvol
Bailey is the starter until he’s not.
My guess is Mixon becomes the back up now.
Hooker is just a solid back up because he only has 1 season.
Mauer is the transfer risk.
Hooker has two seasons of eligibility.

he did. BUT, he really struggled in the other 14 outings including scrimmages.. which was why he didn't get the start in O&W game. But none of the QBs were up to par which is why the rush to Milton.
Were you already checked out when Bray was here? He took some Spring’s off iirc. Seems like this is the briefest sample size to form narratives in recent memory. Almost like the rush to grade Bailey based on him being pushed in cold at midseason in a lost, discombobulated year. He didn’t process this fast enough didn’t push that. I give both he and Maurer a pass from the atrocious handling they’ve received on this stage. Interested in how Shrout fares also without coaches screaming and running onto the field because he LOOKED LIKE he was about to do something wrong. Of course the same applies to Milton and how some coaching up could utilize those physical gifts, but this tired axiom of “he wasn’t brought here to sit on the bench” or “the QBs here already weren’t the answer” is (once again) rushed assumption by those who aren’t our coaches. My take is Milton was brought here to maximize the percentages. You DON’T wait until after Fall camp for that. The answer could have already been on the roster…nothing’s been ordained. We’ll find out next month.

I am continually amazed that some people doubt Harrison Bailey. He shafted by Pruitt because Pruitt had no idea what a real QB looked like, but he showed, in his short appearances that he has the tools to be a great QB.

In the Spring Game, NOBODY was anywhere close to him. I only hope Josh is smart enough to give him the position to prove he is the best we have. Those QB who transferred in are very good athletes, but they are not QBs. They react much like JG. They will make a good play every once in a while, but will be very inconsistent and will kill drives and take the heart out of our offense. Their passing skills are very limited, just as JG.

We cannot afford to experiment with guys who cannot be reliable. HB is a guy who will be.
If you’re only going off the spring game and the spring game alone, that’s not entirely true. Both he and Maurer played well and took advantage of opportunities. Stats support the effort of both qbs and Maurer wasn’t far behind in passing yards and iirc both scored twice. Bailey was 12-15 for 260 and two tds. Maurer was 9-15 for 170 and 1 passing td, 1 rushing td. He also had a deep pass down the left sideline that went through the hands of his receiver that would’ve easily added 50+ yards to his totals and possibly another td. Along with another drop over the middle in a tight window. So had that not been a practice squad player the numbers likely would’ve been very similar. Can’t take that away from a qb that did his job and attach that to his personal performance.

If all catchable balls were caught then the passing numbers read more like this:

Bailey- 12-15 / 260 / 2 tds
Maurer- 11-15 / 250 / 1 td (passing) 1 td (rush)

I’m having trouble understanding where the idea that it wasn’t close comes from.

Think he stays or jumps ship ?
He’s still an UC and last year was a free year. I think he sticks and learns from Huepel. He had terrible coaching so far and will have 2 years left as an upperclassmen if Milton wins the job and plays out. I think that’s the only reason Bailey doesn’t get the job—experience.

That said, if he doesn’t get it, it’s because Huepel played the best QB and didn’t play favs. That says a lot about Milton, because Bailey is no slouch.

Now if Bailey isn’t put in games this year to clean up or to get a shot when someone else isn’t getting the job done and someone else is, he is more likely to bolt.

Were you already checked out when Bray was here? He took some Spring’s off iirc. Seems like this is the briefest sample size to form narratives in recent memory. Almost like the rush to grade Bailey based on him being pushed in cold at midseason in a lost, discombobulated year. He didn’t process this fast enough didn’t push that. I give both he and Maurer a pass from the atrocious handling they’ve received on this stage. Interested in how Shrout fares also without coaches screaming and running onto the field because he LOOKED LIKE he was about to do something wrong. Of course the same applies to Milton and how some coaching up could utilize those physical gifts, but this tired axiom of “he wasn’t brought here to sit on the bench” or “the QBs here already weren’t the answer” is (once again) rushed assumption by those who aren’t our coaches. My take is Milton was brought here to maximize the percentages. You DON’T wait until after Fall camp for that. The answer could have already been on the roster…nothing’s been ordained. We’ll find out next month.

perhaps... anything can happen in a month's practice. Just some chatter that has been around since spring.. I don't check out on anyone. If I happen to hear something I will pass along but I never try to assess who should play at any spot..

This is valuable information. How did you come by it? Genuinely asking.

This seems to be the exact opposite of what LWSVOL said (with seeming authority) in post #64. Who should I believe???? o_O

VN Store

Back