Baileys future if he isnt named the starter?

OP is getting criticized, but this is a discussion board after all. The point is to bring up ideas and discuss them. Since there's no football happening right now, any discussion has to be about possibilities. I think he asks a legitimate question in light of what the transfer portal has brought about. And it's not automatically negative to consider whether something undesirable might happen or not. Don't be harsh with the guy, I think he just wants to talk Vol football topics. As for my own view, Milton until it's not. I think a lot of people are going to be talking about him this season, he puts up big numbers, and that would make it likely for Bailey to transfer.
OP is getting criticized bc he starts 3 new threads per day

He can't transfer, I want to see a five-wide lineup with one QB behind center and five more split out.

Reactions: Ertel
I could see Bailey going somewhere like wake forest, Memphis, or even coastal Carolina. I just don’t think he has the arm strength to be the guy at a big time program. He reminds me of a slightly more accurate Justin Worley.

OP is getting criticized, but this is a discussion board after all. The point is to bring up ideas and discuss them. Since there's no football happening right now, any discussion has to be about possibilities. I think he asks a legitimate question in light of what the transfer portal has brought about. And it's not automatically negative to consider whether something undesirable might happen or not. Don't be harsh with the guy, I think he just wants to talk Vol football topics. As for my own view, Milton until it's not. I think a lot of people are going to be talking about him this season, he puts up big numbers, and that would make it likely for Bailey to transfer.
I agree……it’s still the off-season. You don’t want to read this you don’t have to click on it.

OP is getting criticized, but this is a discussion board after all. The point is to bring up ideas and discuss them. Since there's no football happening right now, any discussion has to be about possibilities. I think he asks a legitimate question in light of what the transfer portal has brought about. And it's not automatically negative to consider whether something undesirable might happen or not. Don't be harsh with the guy, I think he just wants to talk Vol football topics...

You make a good and fair point, frosted navel. Criticism is discussion, criticism of criticism is discussion, and any post that gets a reply started a discussion.

Conclusion?

We're just like a bunch of da*ned women! ('cept we do it without talking or waving our hands)

The only way Bailey leaves UT from down in the depth chart is if he just can't operate this offense.

BUT... that means he would have to recognize this was the end of his NFL dreams. Because the only reason Bailey might fail to thrive in this offense would have to be the mental aspect, processing and making decisions at the speed it demands, and things sure aren't going to slow down at the next level!

I think he stays and earns his way to the top, even if he doesn't start this year. Plenty of guys have gotten drafted high based on their senior year's production. I think he would stay and embrace the challenge rather than give up his future for a couple of years of playing time at a lower level.

Sounds like, from a few things I’ve heard wrt sports radio, people over there in the program really like Joe Milton. I don’t get it, but to be fair I’ve not seen much of him at all. Regardless, we have to find THE guy that can run this offense extremely well. After that, we don’t control what any of these young guys will do.

The only way Bailey leaves UT from down in the depth chart is if he just can't operate this offense.

BUT... that means he would have to recognize this was the end of his NFL dreams. Because the only reason Bailey might fail to thrive in this offense would have to be the mental aspect, processing and making decisions at the speed it demands, and things sure aren't going to slow down at the next level!

I think he stays and earns his way to the top, even if he doesn't start this year. Plenty of guys have gotten drafted high based on their senior year's production. I think he would stay and embrace the challenge rather than give up his future for a couple of years of playing time at a lower level.
THIS^

He starts and turns into the next Andy Kelly.:)
As good a place as any to derail a thread.

Back in 93, I played on the intermural flag football team for the BSU (Baptist student union.) We ran into a team full of former Vol players who weren't in the NFL and we're hoping to finish their degrees. Kelly played, and wisely he was their QB.

Now, I'm a Rhea Co boy, so Kelly was my hero. My big sister was in his graduating class and I was 4 years behind. Most of his players were former linemen and they could still play WR and outrun most of us.

Well, to wrap this up, the high water mark of my flag football career is that I literally had my hand on his flag, about to sack him, when he uncorked a 50 yd pass to some 300 lb white boy for a TD pass.

They probably beat us 49-7, but it was one of the funnest moments of my life.

AV

PS. In 92 I was at UTC and my flag football team came up against a team full of former UTC players. Crushed us. Sadly for them, half of them weren't even enrolled!!!! Lol. Forfeit, and we advanced to the finals. Oh yeah, among those was a guy just passing the time hoping to go play for some nfl team. His name: none other than T.O. himself!

When I really wanna sound important, I tell people I've completed on the gridiron against Terrell Owens and Andy Kelly. They see I'm 5-7 and white and, rightly, don't believe me.

I think he stays this season just in case he can earn the starting job later in the year, but if that does not happen, he'll likely exit after the season's over.

Reactions: joceppyjoe

Back in 93, I played on the intermural flag football team for the BSU (Baptist student union.) We ran into a team full of former Vol players who weren't in the NFL and we're hoping to finish their degrees. Kelly played, and wisely he was their QB.

Now, I'm a Rhea Co boy, so Kelly was my hero. My big sister was in his graduating class and I was 4 years behind. Most of his players were former linemen and they could still play WR and outrun most of us.

Well, to wrap this up, the high water mark of my flag football career is that I literally had my hand on his flag, about to sack him, when he uncorked a 50 yd pass to some 300 lb white boy for a TD pass.

AV

PS. In 92 I was at UTC and my flag football team came up against a team full of former UTC players. Crushed us. Sadly for them, half of them weren't even enrolled!!!! Lol. Forfeit, and we advanced to the finals. Oh yeah, among those was a guy just passing the time hoping to go play for some nfl team. His name: none other than T.O. himself!

When I really wanna sound important, I tell people I've completed on the gridiron against Terrell Owens and Andy Kelly. They see I'm 5-7 and white and, rightly, don't believe me.

Cool story. Seriously. Thanks for sharing.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
You make a good and fair point, frosted navel. Criticism is discussion, criticism of criticism is discussion, and any post that gets a reply started a discussion.

Ha! I am pretty sure there have been times when I'm out snowblowing my driveway after a storm that I've had frost in my navel! :p

AV

Aerie, that is super cool, that you played with both those fellas. :)

Think he stays or jumps ship ?
Nothing's a given for anyone...you have to compete, but let's not over think it. All indications he's the best one of the bunch from a mental grasp, accuracy, getting ball out quick...mobility is a plus, but doesn't trump knowing how to efficiently distribute the ball and run the offense. If he doesn't win the job and wants to transfer, he should...same for other QB's. Every team has a starting QB, and those that don't. Someone has to give us best shot to win, and that guy's going to be the QB, based on what the coaches believe.

AV

I wasn't as fortunate, I got to dress varsity for Sullivan North my frosh year. We scrimmaged Betsy before the season and Jason Witten completely blew me up, literally the hardest hit of my life! It knocked my helmet off and had me dazed. When I came to I realized My Head coach had him by the facemask screaming in his face saying I was a freshman and their was no need for that redneck stuff, but to be honest its football and I loved it! Looking back now I can say I got trucked by Jason Witten!!

Nothing screams that Joe Milton will be the man. Not saying he wont but just from film he is a no better than Hooker from a passing standpoint. Its good to have a QB who can also run but if he cant pass then he is just another running QB. People seems to act like HB is not going to get better but other QBs will. If Heupel offense is all about slinging the ball then HB is your man.

VN Store

Back