Projecting the 2022 lineup

NighthawkVol

Alright. Draft is over. We have a pretty good idea of who’s coming and who’s not now. I’m counting Spikes, Dooney, and Leath as gone, as well as the obvious ones. I’m going to also count Kessler as coming. Here’s my projection:

Lineup

Kyle Booker-LF

Seth Stephenson-2B

Logan Chambers-1B

Drew Gilbert-CF

Jordan Beck-RF

Coltyn Kessler-C

Christian Moore-SS

Logan Steenstra-3B

Trey Lipscomb-DH

Weekend Starters

Blade Tidwell-RHP

Chase Burns-RHP

Chase Dollander-RHP

Midweek/Middle Relief:

Camden Sewell-RHP

Ben Joyce-RHP

Kirby Connell-LHP

Mark McLaughlin-RHP

Closer:

Seth Halvorsen-RHP

The infield and DH guys are pretty interchangeable. Steenstra could also play 1B. Stephenson could also play SS. Moore or Steenstra could play SS or 3B. Lipscomb could play any infield position. Chambers could play 2B or SS. And any of those guys left out of the infield would DH.

Call me crazy but I think Kessler would love catching that rotation . . . Heck, who wouldn't! Two All-Americans in the weekend rotation, WOW!

GBO

Edit: I can see Cam starting the season in the weekend rotation while Burns works his way into that slot, then moving Cam back to a relief role.

Missing Grant Cherry (RHP), Kruise Newman (RHP) in the pen. We also have Pleasants (RHP), Rackers (RHP), Mabrey (LHP), Delashmit (RHP) and potentially Walsh (LHP).

As for the lineup, I don't think we can count on Kessler if he's considering Arky and LSU along with TN. I agree with Big Dave, but I don't think any of those are a bad choice. Vitello also said on Swain this morning that Luc and Russell could sign as free agents and he would help them do that, but he also said they would likely be back. That could make things interesting in terms of depth and our starting lineup, especially with Lipcius manning first.

Alright. Draft is over. We have a pretty good idea of who’s coming and who’s not now. I’m counting Spikes, Dooney, and Leath as gone, as well as the obvious ones. I’m going to also count Kessler as coming. Here’s my projection:

Lineup

Kyle Booker-LF

Seth Stephenson-2B

Logan Chambers-1B

Drew Gilbert-CF

Jordan Beck-RF

Coltyn Kessler-C

Christian Moore-SS

Logan Steenstra-3B

Trey Lipscomb-DH

Weekend Starters

Blade Tidwell-RHP

Chase Burns-RHP

Chase Dollander-RHP

Midweek/Middle Relief:

Camden Sewell-RHP

Ben Joyce-RHP

Kirby Connell-LHP

Mark McLaughlin-RHP

Closer:

Seth Halvorsen-RHP

The infield and DH guys are pretty interchangeable. Steenstra could also play 1B. Stephenson could also play SS. Moore or Steenstra could play SS or 3B. Lipscomb could play any infield position. Chambers could play 2B or SS. And any of those guys left out of the infield would DH.
Looks good. I think i would swap Dollander and Burns out. But other than that this is another 50 win team.

Reactions: NighthawkVol

Lineup

Kyle Booker-LF

Seth Stephenson-2B

Logan Chambers-1B

Drew Gilbert-CF

Jordan Beck-RF

Coltyn Kessler-C

Christian Moore-SS

Logan Steenstra-3B

Trey Lipscomb-DH

Weekend Starters

Blade Tidwell-RHP

Chase Burns-RHP

Chase Dollander-RHP

Midweek/Middle Relief:

Camden Sewell-RHP

Ben Joyce-RHP

Kirby Connell-LHP

Mark McLaughlin-RHP

Closer:

Seth Halvorsen-RHP

Can Luc come back on that extra COVID year if he chooses to since he wasn’t drafted?

I personally feel that Booker is an upgrade over Russell and there are better DH options already available as well, but I would happily take Lipcious back. Defensively, he eats everything up. Offensively, makes great contact and has a lot of hard hits. Batting average didn’t match plate appearances. Could move Chambers to DH, Moore to SS, Stephenson to 2nd.
SS Stephenson
LF Booker
2B Chambers
3B Lipscomb
CF Gilbert
C Kessler
RF Beck
DH Moore
1B Lipcious

Missing Grant Cherry (RHP), Kruise Newman (RHP) in the pen. We also have Pleasants (RHP), Rackers (RHP), Mabrey (LHP), Delashmit (RHP) and potentially Walsh (LHP).

As for the lineup, I don't think we can count on Kessler if he's considering Arky and LSU along with TN. I agree with Big Dave, but I don't think any of those are a bad choice. Vitello also said on Swain this morning that Luc and Russell could sign as free agents and he would help them do that, but he also said they would likely be. That could make things interesting in terms of depth and our starting lineup, especially with Lipcius manning first.
I don’t care if LSU and Arky are both recruiting Kessler, CTV has shown he can recruit with anyone. Van Horn is concerned about CoachV regardless if he wants to admit it or not. And for LSU I don’t think any of us are concerned with them the way we beat them last year all year long. I like our chances in getting tiny Kessler to the Hill.

Reactions: youcancallmeAl
I haven't followed the baseball team long enough to be familiar with these new infielders. But I can say I think we will have a championship quality outfield and starting pitching staff.

We definitely need a top quality catcher to go with this staff. I'm guessing Kessler will want to catch for this staff more than Arky or LSU. Arky is closer to his hometown in Missouri, though, so he might prefer there.

Not sure what role Russell would play if he came back. Right hand DH? Corner outfield depth? Luc is obvioulsy a good first baseman, but would he be blocking someone else if he came back? Left handed DH? Both would provide much needed leadership, though.

As for the lineup, I don't think we can count on Kessler if he's considering Arky and LSU along with TN. I agree with Big Dave, but I don't think any of those are a bad choice. Vitello also said on Swain this morning that Luc and Russell could sign as free agents and he would help them do that, but he also said they would likely be back. That could make things interesting in terms of depth and our starting lineup, especially with Lipcius manning first.

If those two are back, Luc is your 1B and Evan is probably DH.

I wasn't listing the entire roster, just the guys I think will get significant playing time. Newman, Cherry, and those other guys would need to work their way into that group.

Reactions: Volunteer08
I personally think everyone needs to look at the conference only stats before making out a line up. Runs scored , RBI's , Home runs ,
slugging percentage. Quiet shocking to say the least. This Team had to perform well in conference play to achieve their past goals. Once you look at Conference Numbers alone, I think Several will scratch their heads. Say whatever you want , but the caliber pitching matters..... bottom line.

who on this team has the best numbers against the Highly touted SEC arms? I went back and studied the stats. TN is losing 40 of the 45 SEC home runs if Luc and Russell leave. Russell and Luc alone provided 18 of those. Look at Runs scored and RBI's as well.
Mind blowing. Those two alone provided a ton of offense for the Vols. Winning Baseball is Scoring runs and not allowing runs. POP is a must in the SEC. It's a power conference...

who on this team has the best numbers against the Highly touted SEC arms? I went back and studied the stats. TN is losing 40 of the 45 SEC home runs if Luc and Russell leave. Russell and Luc alone provided 18 of those. Look at Runs scored and RBI's as well.
Mind blowing. Those two alone provided a ton of offense for the Vols. Winning Baseball is Scoring runs and not allowing runs. POP is a must in the SEC. It's a power conference...

I agree with where your head is on this, but what do you expect when you lose your #1, #2, #3, #5 (Russell ?), #6 (Lipcius), #8, #9 hitters from the lineup? We're only returning our #4 and #7 hitters.

We have very capable hitters waiting to step up.

I agree with where your head is on this, but what do you expect when you lose your #1, #2, #3, #5 (Russell ?), #6 (Lipcius), #8, #9 hitters from the lineup? We're only returning our #4 and #7 hitters.

We have very capable hitters waiting to step up.
This is the perspective. You have to replace the majority of your lineup either way. In Omaha the bats went cold and you saw teams fight to get on base and use contact to move runners more often than not. Next years team won’t be as power heavy but it should be more balanced. Booker and Stephenson aren’t double digit HR guys, but the expectation is that they’re much stronger in AVG, OBP, & SB. Chambers & Lipscomb fill the HR void. Kessler is a power hitter. You hope Beck becomes more consistent, but he’s already a double digit HR guy. Gilbert probably progresses after a full SEC schedule and a stint with USA Baseball. Our averages should be in the high 200s low 300s down the lineup this year as opposed to having a handful of .250 hitters

The outfield play will be more than fine. Booker , Gilbert , Beck and Scott

Pitching will be the strength.

Middle infield and Catching and having POP in the line up is my biggest concern. Can we hit Quality pitching? That's a whole different level. Look at this years stats. You got to have Luc and Evan back in the line up some how. Leadership is a must. To many unknowns if not. Just my opinion. which ain't worth a lot but this team lost a lot of experience. I do know that.

I personally patrol Evan at 2B , Catching and DH. and Luc would patrol 1B and DH role as well. I wouldn't hit him against lefty's. But as already stated , way to much SEC Production in the past to not have in the line up.

in the SEC , with the pitching , You have to have Power... stringing hits together against the pitching in this league won't be very successful , it's been tried and just won't work. Proven fact. Got to get after it and hit it out of the park. 2 guys hit 18 regular season HR's in Conference play. With Beck , Gilbert , Russell , and Luc - that's 23 HR's from our lineup - That's Half of your Home runs in those 4. You have Leadership , Experience and Proven Success. When those guys slump , then you make Changes. That's my take. I ride the horses that have proved themselves until i have to get off.. But that's me.

Reactions: TheBigOne10
This is the perspective. You have to replace the majority of your lineup either way. In Omaha the bats went cold and you saw teams fight to get on base and use contact to move runners more often than not. Next years team won’t be as power heavy but it should be more balanced. Booker and Stephenson aren’t double digit HR guys, but the expectation is that they’re much stronger in AVG, OBP, & SB. Chambers & Lipscomb fill the HR void. Kessler is a power hitter. You hope Beck becomes more consistent, but he’s already a double digit HR guy. Gilbert probably progresses after a full SEC schedule and a stint with USA Baseball. Our averages should be in the high 200s low 300s down the lineup this year as opposed to having a handful of .250 hitters

We need guys that can get on base, too. We lose Liam and Rucker and Max - those guys could get on. If Luc and Evan return, we will have the power we need when combined with Gilbert and Beck, and Kessler.

Liam , Rucker and Max will be hard to replace. Those are 3 big holes. I don't know a lot about the new guys coming in , And that's being honest. I think TV will handle that. I personally think he will have some really good options. If we keep Luc and Evan , i really like our chances...But 18 SEC HR's are a lot but most importantly , Leadership. When things go bad, that's when it's important. Not having those 2 guys , I Worry a lot in that regard. Kessler would be great addition with leadership.

We need guys that can get on base, too. We lose Liam and Rucker and Max - those guys could get on. If Luc and Evan return, we will have the power we need when combined with Gilbert and Beck, and Kessler.
The issue is that Luc and Evan don’t get on base. And Max only had a higher OB% because he walks a lot. He had the worst batting average of players who consistently were in the lineup. Rucker and Liam were the only guys hitting over .300.. The only way for us to go further against elite pitching in Omaha is to make sure we have guys making hard contact and not a handful of 50+ strikeout guys. I’m not a small ball guy, but we had a lot of swing-and-miss potential in the batting lineup.

Lineup

Kyle Booker-LF

Seth Stephenson-2B

Logan Chambers-1B

Drew Gilbert-CF

Jordan Beck-RF

Coltyn Kessler-C

Christian Moore-SS

Logan Steenstra-3B

Trey Lipscomb-DH

Weekend Starters

Blade Tidwell-RHP

Chase Burns-RHP

Chase Dollander-RHP

Midweek/Middle Relief:

Camden Sewell-RHP

Ben Joyce-RHP

Kirby Connell-LHP

Mark McLaughlin-RHP

Closer:

Seth Halvorsen-RHP

Our weekend starters would be 2 sophomore's and a freshman! That would set this team up extremely well going forward to develop and strengthen incoming pitcher's. The development would be nothing short of phenomenal.
Go Vols!!

The issue is that Luc and Evan don’t get on base. And Max only had a higher OB% because he walks a lot. He had the worst batting average of players who consistently were in the lineup. Rucker and Liam were the only guys hitting over .300.. The only way for us to go further against elite pitching in Omaha is to make sure we have guys making hard contact and not a handful of 50+ strikeout guys. I’m not a small ball guy, but we had a lot of swing-and-miss potential in the batting lineup.

I can't find stats as to the % of solo homers we hit last year vs SEC norm, but I'm guessing it's high. I'd like to know the same thing vs OBP. There is a price to pay for power hitting up and down the lineup like we had last year - the strike out. You're less likely to score enough runs when you run up against elite pitching if you strike out that often. So you have to have guys getting on base and knocking them in with singles or bunts or walks or whatever, when the situation demands. Liam did a great job, Max was OK buy obviously didn't see himself as a get on base guy, after that, you had only Rucker getting on base at a good percentage, but he was also a high strike out guy. If Luc snd Evan come back, combined with Gilbert and Beck, that's 4 power hitters in a nine man lineup. If the 5 other guys are on base and high batting average type guys, I like it.

Reactions: Volsbaseballfan

VN Store

Back