Darel Middleton to the transfer portal

I get it that some turnover is “good” turnover and it’s not like these veterans were world beaters in our 3-7 season last year, but losing any depth really hurts in our Front 7. My biggest concern is the fact we will have a nonexistent pass rush, which will further stress our thin Secondary. Was hoping we’d add Prunty at CB for depth. Maybe DaJon Terry can make an immediate impact up front. Fact of the matter is, this is going to be a mediocre unit. I do trust Rodney Garner. What you see on Twitter from these kids doesn’t tell the full story on their work ethic, drive and will to get better. I think Middleton is FOS.
If Emerson, Middleton (and Solomon very soon) aren’t going to play…they’re not DEPTH. They’re roster occupiers.

In spite of all the handwringing... UT still has bodies on the roster. Quite a few actually. Can anyone else remember when Kiffin took over and UT had only two true DT's on the roster... one being Montori Hughes (bust)? Ultimately Wes Brown a DE with bad knees ended up playing opposite Dan Willams at DT.

I'm not sure any of the current guys are any good. But this is by no stretch a depth chart as bad as 2009 when UT produced a decent defense. No delusions about Banks being Monte....

If Emerson, Middleton (and Solomon very soon) aren’t going to play…they’re not DEPTH. They’re roster occupiers.
I keep seeing that Solomon is going to leave. Kind of hope he doesn't. Is there something behind it or just speculation?

I keep seeing that Solomon is going to leave. Kind of hope he doesn't. Is there something behind it or just speculation?
Epitome of low energy and non-involvement. Been a Middleton package deal on VQ.

I still think every time a player transfers it’s them getting dinged by the probe.
I'm not sure but doing what they did in the way they did it... would have virtually required them to pay a lot of guys. Otherwise someone would have spoken up when they weren't deemed worthy of payment.

Reactions: onevol74
I'm not sure but doing what they did in the way they did it... would have virtually required them to pay a lot of guys. Otherwise someone would have spoken up when they weren't deemed worthy of payment.
I just think it's strange when it takes them so long to decide to transfer.

Somehow we figured he was gonna transfer but didn't for months.

These guys are crazy wishy washy and if he left because he couldn't handle working hard under Garner then that's just sad.

Reactions: tbh and sjt18

These guys are crazy wishy washy and if he left because he couldn't handle working hard under Garner then that's just sad.
I think this new staff has this innovative concept of “team.” Not the “I” concept.

First the RBs entered the transfer portal, and I said "Next man up!"

Then the WRs entered the transfer portal, and I said "Next man up!"

Then the LBs entered the transfer portal, and I said "Next man up!"

Then the CBs entered the transfer portal, and still I said "Next man up!"

And then DLs entered the transfer portal, and I said nothing, because there was no one left to step up.

Poor taste, IMO.

First the RBs entered the transfer portal, and I said "Next man up!"

Then the WRs entered the transfer portal, and I said "Next man up!"

Then the LBs entered the transfer portal, and I said "Next man up!"

Then the CBs entered the transfer portal, and still I said "Next man up!"

And then DLs entered the transfer portal, and I said nothing, because there was no one left to step up.
Odd. We’re loaded at DL more than any other position group. None of these guys were going to play…and that Solomon whenever he makes it official.

I don't know. I really don't.

I strongly suspect some of the departures had to do with the NCAA stuff. Beyond that... there has always been some attrition when coaching staffs change.

If I had to guess I would say it is more the culture and style of the new staff than the "work". But again just a guess. As a new college grad I did well working for a particular manager. He was hard on me but fair. I learned a lot, worked hard, and had his recommendation for promotion when he moved to another assignment. Instead, a much younger guy was brought in to replace him. His style and approach were virtually opposite. I went from being the "supervisor of the quarter" to leaving because he made it clear he didn't want me there within six months.

Even if you have two talented people... it doesn't mean they can work well together.

Last edited:
So...here's where I'm at:

DE: Butler-Bumphus-Blakely
DT: Bailey-Garland-Terry
DT: Solomon-Thomas-Simmons
DE: Baron-Eason-Young

Still 3-deep but any more defections and we'll start eating into that depth
Tremblay will get PT for sure, kids pretty good

With our program in the state it was in, we probably had to pay a lot of people. I wondered how cornbread was able to recruit so well. He has no personality.

Reactions: UTwild82

VN Store

Back