Olympic Team announced

When Parker was left off the 2016 team all of the blame was put on Auriemma. I believe that it was true - he did not want her on the team. Now NNeka is left off the team - why aren't fingers being pointed at Staley?

He’s still on the committee. Plus she was left off in favor of a UConn alum in Collier.

Tbh they couldnt have left Bird and Diana off the roster if they are the face of the campaign....which is annoying
E45a44qWYAkp1pe.jpeg

Tbh they couldnt have left Bird and Diana off the roster if they are the face of the campaign....which is annoying
View attachment 376684

Absolutely. Sue Bird is still playing pretty well but at 40, it is definitely time to make the transition to new blood. DT is not even playing right now so here situation should have been a no-brainer to move in a new direction.

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
Taurasi played 32 minutes. She becomes the only WNBA player to score 9000 points. AFAIK Nneka is still not cleared to play.

DT said after the game was over to the crowd about reaching 9k point is that she is just really old

I always lov Diana trust..But giving young players chance is a key to grow. I remembered Lisa, Tina, Yolanda started refusing to participate when they got to 35

One half (6) of the team is playing in their 1st Olympics. Two are playing in their 2nd. If half the team is made up of rookies, isn't that developing players? Besides, isn't FIBA the place to grow players?

The average age of the Olympic team is 29.9. Substitute two 29.9 y/o for old ladies Bird and Taurasi and the team's average age drops to 28.2. A whole year and a half difference. In return the team loses years of experience and arguably the two best guards to ever play the game.

Reactions: NeedOrange
USWNT and Team USA Olympic roster debates: Controversial omissions, injury questions, transparency and more

Not sure if this was posted but it's another good read. As far as Nneka goes it doesn't take a rocket scientist to know she was not treated right. What confirms it for me and not consistently mentioned in many articles is the part about her being named a core player who participated in all events and was essentially a lock if the olympics happened in 2020. Part of the Olympic qualifying team who was second in scoring for Team USA. Skipping out on playing overseas (losing money), The article also mentions DT's injury.

For those who believe Geno is responsible for CP's snub (I'm one of them) there's reason to believe he snubbed Nneka. If my memory is correct Geno wanted both of the Ogwumike sisters. Both chose Stanford over Uconn. I don't think this move is beneath him lol

USWNT and Team USA Olympic roster debates: Controversial omissions, injury questions, transparency and more

Not sure if this was posted but it's another good read. As far as Nneka goes it doesn't take a rocket scientist to know she was not treated right. What confirms it for me and not consistently mentioned in many articles is the part about her being named a core player who participated in all events and was essentially a lock if the olympics happened in 2020. Part of the Olympic qualifying team who was second in scoring for Team USA. Skipping out on playing overseas (losing money), The article also mentions DT's injury.

For those who believe Geno is responsible for CP's snub (I'm one of them) there's reason to believe he snubbed Nneka. If my memory is correct Geno wanted both of the Ogwumike sisters. Both chose Stanford over Uconn. I don't think this move is beneath him lol

A different opinion - Which players should be 2021 WNBA All-Stars?

The case against including Ogwumike: Ogwumike undoubtedly is one of the best players in the league, but she has only played five games and is currently injured. She went down with a knee injury in early June for 4-6 weeks and still has no timetable for her return. Sure, she was averaging 16.4 PPG and 7.0 RPG in those games, and sure, the Sparks have struggled without her, but there are players who are not injured who have been playing that well all season. The injury is not Ogwumike's fault, but healthy players should get the nod here over her. -- Cohen

A different opinion - Which players should be 2021 WNBA All-Stars?

The case against including Ogwumike: Ogwumike undoubtedly is one of the best players in the league, but she has only played five games and is currently injured. She went down with a knee injury in early June for 4-6 weeks and still has no timetable for her return. Sure, she was averaging 16.4 PPG and 7.0 RPG in those games, and sure, the Sparks have struggled without her, but there are players who are not injured who have been playing that well all season. The injury is not Ogwumike's fault, but healthy players should get the nod here over her. -- Cohen

That isn’t a valid argument or position in this case. Other injured players were slapped right onto the team without a second thought. Very likely Diana won’t play at all in the Olympics. Sue is a sore knee waiting to happen these days.

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
Very likely Diana won’t play at all in the Olympics. Sue is a sore knee waiting to happen these days.

Wishful thinking? As of now Bird is healthy and Taurasi is playing. Nneka "has no timetable for her return." As guards neither Bird nor Taurasi are in the equation. So which power forward gets left off the team to make room for Ogwumike? Collier, Charles or Stewart?

Last edited:

VN Store

Back