First Tennessee football game you attended

September 26, 1987 Neyland Stadium vs. #3 Auburn. Not a cloud in the sky. When I walked from the concourse to the stands and saw those 100,000+ fans and all that color… That was the moment my blood turned from red to orange. I remember it like it was yesterday. Came back in the fourth quarter from being down 20-10 to tie the game. Not sure how I feel about Johnny playing for the time but it kind of felt like a win for us and a loss for Auburn.

Took my now wife to that one and we had a rocking time in that place, especially when whoever the back was who dove in for the 19th pt. Majors played to tie and ended up winning the SEC iirc.

Reactions: CDB
1990 vs UTEP. I remember not really understanding the game at 7 but knowing it was a brutal beat down.
I went over to a friend's house to play that afternoon rather than follow the game at home with my parents (I expect they would have had to listen to it on the radio, unless Jefferson Pilot carried the game). When I called home to get the score, my mother told me we had lost 13-7. I was crestfallen. She then told me the real score (56-0 Vols, if I remember correctly).

Last edited:
Fun thread. Looking forward to reading all of the earlier comments.
Mine was 9/28/95 against #1 Auburn and Bo Jackson. Transferred to UT a couple of months earlier and was a Junior. A buddy tried to convince me to tryout for the team due to a few line injuries. Coach Majors took one look at me and sneered. Smart man that Majors.
The game was unbelievable. We brought Bo down and I was sure Neyland was going down at the same time.
If it wasn't unwittingly disposed of during our last move, I've still got a ticket stub from that game. I was too young to understand how football worked, but I have a vivid memory of the clear sky and the ecstatic joy of the fans (my father especially), and I knew we scored a lot more points than they did. The first game I attended with any real understanding of how the game worked was the Auburn game four years later (the ponchos we had purchased did us no good that day, but I didn't care).

Last edited:
Took my now wife to that one and we had a rocking time in that place, especially when whoever the back was who dove in for the 19th pt. Majors played to tie and ended up winning the SEC iirc.

I believe that was Reggie Cobb. He was kind of like Herschel Walker when he got down close to the end zone. It was hard to stop that dive.

I had to look it up to check my facts. That was the game that decided the SEC title. Auburn did not lose another game in the SEC and we lost to Alabama (that was also the year my hatred of Alabama begun). Auburn won the SEC title.

Last edited:
Reactions: livefaith
Not to derail the awesome thread. But, did anyone here personally witness the 1973 torrential downpour game w AU where Battle had us punt it away on 1st down pi$$ing off AU coaches? I listened to that on a transistor radio with my dad in Cases Cove w my late father in a popup camper!
Would pay a lotta lotta money to go back to that day one more time!
Seems like Hank Walter blew up the first Auburn play from scrimmage. And the beatdown began.

Reactions: livefaith
Tennessee vs Army 1970
In those days you could talk to the team up close from behind the chain link fence and our hometown hero, Joe Thompson, introduced me to a guy who he called "the ugliest guy in Tennessee". It turned out to be the Crossville Comet, Curt Watson. That Joe....That was also the new stadium announcer, Jeff Jarnigan's first game, too!

Mine was the 1986 season opener against New Mexico. Tennessee won 35-21

I can beat every reply here...October 1945 versus Chattanooga. I was living in Oak Ridge and our Boy Scout troop got tickets for the game seems to me for something like $2 per ticket. I was pleased to attend the game as lineman from Rockwood that I knew was playing on the team.

Reactions: DuckInAPen
September 17, 1988 -Vols lost to LSU at home 34-9.

3rd loss in a 0-6 start to the season, its a wonder I managed to stay a fan all these years.....LOL

Reactions: CDB
September 17, 1988 -Vols lost to LSU at home 34-9.

3rd loss in a 0-6 start to the season, its a wonder I managed to stay a fan all these years.....LOL

I thought about adding the ‘88 season to my post. ‘87 was my first season and made me a fan. ‘88 let me know what I was in for as a Vol fan. VFL

Reactions: VolunteerCeltic

VN Store

Back