First Tennessee football game you attended

My wife is the VFL and my first UT game at Neyland was against UGA and it was Herschel Walker's first game. He scored the winning TD. I think the final score was 20-19 and the Vols fumbled the ball going in for what would have been the winning score.

1973 vs alabama lost 42-21 8 yrs old
lost the game but convince my mom to throwaway her alabama bean bag n become a UT fan that day. So i really was a winner that day

1979 vs Boston College, courtesy of my then girlfriend's parents. The good guys won 24-16 if memory serves.

She's been my wife for nearly 37 years now. We've been to lots of home games with a few road games and bowl games sprinkled in.

1974 UCLA game. My grandfather took my brother and myself. What a first game to go to. A few years ago at one of my son's football practices I ran into Condredge. He was very gracious and we talked about the game. He will always be one of my all time favorite Vol players.

Not to derail the awesome thread. But, did anyone here personally witness the 1973 torrential downpour game w AU where Battle had us punt it away on 1st down pi$$ing off AU coaches? I listened to that on a transistor radio with my dad in Cases Cove w my late father in a popup camper!
Would pay a lotta lotta money to go back to that day one more time!

I was there. Great game

Reactions: livefaith
Mine was 1957 against Chattanooga that I remember. Still running single wing in those days. Went to a game in 1956 but don't recall anything about it. North end zone was bleachers back then and there was a cannon they fired after scores( precursor to fireworks).

I was there. Great game

Wow. Did you stay till the end?
My wife is the VFL and my first UT game at Neyland was against UGA and it was Herschel Walker's first game. He scored the winning TD. I think the final score was 20-19 and the Vols fumbled the ball going in for what would have been the winning score.

Smacked my head on the kitchen table listening to Ward call that fumble on the radio. 16yo then and still salty @ that loss. UGA on to the natty off that miracle and the UF miracle. Rooted for them in the natty bc they played ND or some other yankee media darling team.

Reactions: BigOrangeAl 1979
1991 - Gainesville
UF 35 UT 18

Freshman CB Larry Kennedy stayed in Carl Pickens’ hip pocket most of the night and sealed the game with a late pick-6, resulting in our student section raining plastic cups down on the field.

Our 1991 and 1993 games were easily the worst behaved I’ve ever seen our student section outside of Miami or FSU coming to town.

1962. Played #3 Ole Miss. UT lost 19-6. Ole Miss undefeated that year. This 10 year old boy from Jonesboro (now, Jonesborough) had never seen so many people in one place at the same time.

Only game I've been to was when we broke the Florida streak in 2016. Maybe I need to go again, but it's not easy coming from Jersey.
That was my first game in Neyland, being able to attend Game Day as well was just a cherry on top. It was an incredible day and experience, that's for sure.

Reactions: Tin Man

VN Store

Back