Kentucky

Has Kentucky now passed us in football? I think it’s a legitimate question to ask at the moment. They have a more stable program and coach and are now recruiting better. They have made 5 straight bowl appearances and have a 2-2 record against us since 2017 along with blowing us out in Neyland last season 34-7. They will also be probaly favored in this years game in Lexington. What are y’all’s thoughts is Kentucky a more attractive football program now and going forward?
Very poor attempt at trolling. This is a waste of time. No more threads for you.

The brand, in its current state, is relevant inside the boundaries of Tennessee's state lines, and that about as far as "tradition" is going to carry it. You see as many or more Florida/Alabama/Georgia and even Clemson stickers on Tennessee tagged cars outside of Knoxville proper these days.

You can talk " winning tradition" till you are blue in the face and trot out records from 70+ years ago all you want, and it still won't amount to anything in terms of whether or not we are relevant today. Winning is the only path to to even a modicum of relevancy in modern CFB.
Then why did Heupel leave a winning program in UCF who just had 10 + 12 win seasons a couple years ago to come to UT?

Has Kentucky now passed us in football? I think it’s a legitimate question to ask at the moment. They have a more stable program and coach and are now recruiting better. They have made 5 straight bowl appearances and have a 2-2 record against us since 2017 along with blowing us out in Neyland last season 34-7. They will also be probaly favored in this years game in Lexington. What are y’all’s thoughts is Kentucky a more attractive football program now and going forward?
They certainly are not in football, and not even in basketball any more

700k more, right, I’m sure that’s the only reason
Not the only reason I’m sure, but probably the biggest factor.

Bigger conference.

Comfort with AD from relationship at UCF.

Realizing he was trending the wrong way at UCF.

Reactions: Longshank
More attractive? Nah....once these NCAA clouds lift and we get some stability it’ll be back to normal I think with regard to KY. I think we’ve just got a lot more going for us as a program overall in terms of resources, pipelines, etc.

That being said, KY has elevated their program under stoops. No doubt about it. They will be tough this year, probably favored.

I still think our ceiling is significantly higher and we’ll get back to beating them consistently soon, but they are no longer a cupcake/automatic W unless Stoop bolts or something goes off the rails

Heupel can talk tradition up in a press conference all he wants, and it's still not going to make a single top recruit care about UT only losing a single game from 1927-1932.

If that helps you sleep at night during the seasons were we suck, that's fine, but winning a bunch of games even 20 years ago is not bringing in a single recruit if Heupel doesn't notch up more wins than losses in the next few seasons.
Yep exactly that is what the last 3 coaches have done talked up history, tradition, and what happened 20 years ago but that not going to win alot of top notch recruits over current successful programs.. The problem with talking up history and tradition is this you can't get kids who were 3 or 4 when that history and tradition was relevant. Don't get me wrong it is a great thing to have and it does help in certain ways but you have to have a current product to match to make it worth the price of admission. I don't think Kentucky has passed us but when you look at the overall product of both teams over the last 15 years that recruits remember it's pretty close to being the same.

Yep exactly that is what the last 3 coaches have done talked up history, tradition, and what happened 20 years ago but that not going to win alot of top notch recruits over current successful programs.. The problem with talking up history and tradition is this you can't get kids who were 3 or 4 when that history and tradition was relevant. Don't get me wrong it is a great thing to have and it does help in certain ways but you have to have a current product to match to make it worth the price of admission. I don't think Kentucky has passed us but when you look at the overall product of both teams over the last 15 years that recruits remember it's pretty close to being the same.
Kind of the way I feel. I don't expect Tennessee to bee horrible. They are an sec team. This year I do think with all going on Kentucky maybe the better team.

Reactions: Southeastern VFL
Since 2016 Kentucky has 37 wins to Tenneseee’s 29 wins along with 5 straight bowl appearances. We have missed a bowl game 3 times since 2016.

Troll

Kentucky was better than us last year. Kentucky may be better than us this year, we'll see. Kentucky has been steadily getting better for 6-7 years and currently are not the punching bag Kentucky of yesteryear. Nonetheless, I still think we have a higher ceiling and will leave them in the dust any time we have a decent coach and are not under the spectre of NCAA sanctions.

Reactions: Proud Army Wife

No. However, Stoops is a better coach than anything UT has had since Fulmer. I don’t understand why someone hasn’t thrown big bucks at him and gotten him out of Lexington. No he’s not winning championships, but Kentucky is one helluva tough out. That was never the case before Stoops. Very similar to Mullen at Miss State, although Mullen’s results there were a little better, especially during the Dak Prescott years.

Then why did Heupel leave a winning program in UCF who just had 10 + 12 win seasons a couple years ago to come to UT?

What does Heupel's time at UCF have to do with UT's "winning tradition" that is spawned mostly from the first half of the 20th century?

Our main concern is how to fix Tennessee. From 2008-2020 Tennessee is 37-70 in SEC games. We went winless in the SEC 2017 and won 1 SEC game in 2011 & 2012. Today’s freshmen were 5 years old when this all started, so a losing Tennessee is all they have seen. I’ve backed the Vols with my butt in the stands, donations, and fandom since 1968 so I don’t enjoy these numbers, but they are a fact. Until this gets fixed, we are no better than anyone. I know the names Beattie Feathers, Gene McEver, George Cafego, but the class of 2022 doesn’t. We are at a major crossroads in this program.

Reactions: BigOrangeAl 1979
What does Heupel's time at UCF have to do with UT's "winning tradition" that is spawned mostly from the first half of the 20th century?
Just countering your claim that present winning is all the recruits care about. If so, why wouldn’t Heupel have stayed at UCF to get better recruits due do his winning at a high clip in the past 3 seasons? Why did he walk into a complete dumpster fire for only 700k more a year?

I mean I see your point. We are just going to have to agree to disagree that the past doesn’t matter, bc I think it does.

Mark Stoops is a good coach not a elite one but then again he is coaching at a place that hasn’t been easy to win at in the toughest conference in the country. I would take Stoops here as coach no doubt but I wonder if we would’ve given him the time to succeed and win here. His first three seasons at Kentucky were 2-10, 5-7 and 5-7 we probaly would’ve canned him after his third season.

Just countering your claim that present winning is all the recruits care about. If so, why wouldn’t Heupel have stayed at UCF to get better recruits due do his winning at a high clip in the past 3 seasons? Why did he walk into a complete dumpster fire for only 700k more a year?

I mean I see your point. We are just going to have to agree to disagree that the past doesn’t matter, bc I think it does.

How exactly does Heupel having moderate success at UCF, change the fact that UT's "winning tradition", of which you feel is so important, isn't relevant today?

Also Heupel didn't come here for a $700k/year raise, he came he here for a $2.3 million/year raise. Who wouldn't roll the dice at UT if you were getting more than double your existing salary after only being a HC for 3 years?

Josh Heupel to earn $4 million annually as Tennessee football coach
Heupel's initial contract with UCF was a five-year deal worth $1.7 million annually.

Reactions: BlinghamptonVol

VN Store

Back