Recruiting Forum Football Talk III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who braces to get hit with a straight arm completely off to the side?
Have you ever played baseball? If so, have you played second base or watched how that players body moves through space when turning a double play? Most of the time they rotate their lower body after making a throw. If I am sliding and the thrower is rt at me and throwing, I would be expecting that next leg to come through. You better believe I’m getting my hand up to try to protect myself. Again, if he was trying to break it up intentionally, there are other, better ways to do it. Not your premeditated nut shot you have in your mind.

Not in my opinion. I literally said "interference" out loud before the ball got to first base while watching it live.

He slid right at the bag, and threw his arm right into the guys groin who wasn't going to touch him otherwise. It was obvious to me he meant to get in the way. And not for nothing... He did. The fielder fell down trying to lean away from his arm and that caused the throw to be high. It isn't as if the runner was going to easily beat it no matter what.

That’s BS. Just stop. Go root for Bama.

Have you ever played baseball? If so, have you played second base or watched how that players body moves through space when turning a double play? Most of the time they rotate their lower body after making a throw. If I am sliding and the thrower is rt at me and throwing, I would be expecting that next leg to come through. You better believe I’m getting my hand up to try to protect myself. Again, if he was trying to break it up intentionally, there are other, better ways to do it. Not your premeditated nut shot you have in your mind.
The fielder got knocked perpendicular to the slide. It wasn't the force of his slide, it was the force of his punch in a different direction from the slide.

The fielder got knocked perpendicular to the slide. It wasn't the force of his slide, it was the force of his punch in a different direction from the slide.
I’ve watched this a million times. The runner just put his arm up, he didn't throw a punch or extend his arm. If he punched him, then he should have been ejected. But that didn’t happen. Also, the fielder didn’t get knocked anywhere. He tried to make the play by moving through the runner who was sliding straight toward the bag. He tried to throw overtop of him bc he knew he wasn’t going to get the guy at first.

Here's the clear shot. I just don't see how you can say this is not interference.

Just forget intent for a moment. Was the second basemen in the basepath? No. Did the slide affect the throw? Yes. Comon' you guys lol.

figure of speech. All the time, kids (highly ranked ones) pick schools like FSU, Miami, UNC, ND, etc over Auburn, UF, LSU, even UGA at times. If “we’re in the SEC” is considered a major selling point for your school then your school must not be very good to begin with
I don’t agree with that at all

Reactions: Ridgerunner Vol
The fielder wasn't in the baseline. The runner slid in the baseline but his arm was outside the baseline when he hit the fielder.
Just watched the play. The fielder was in the line. I disagree with the interference call. The baserunner slid hard, which is legal. I've seen a lot worse without any interference called. But ultimately, the ump's call stands, even if I think it's wrong.

Here's the clear shot. I just don't see how you can say this is not interference.

Just forget intent for a moment. Was the second basemen in the basepath? No. Did the slide affect the throw? Yes. Comon' you guys lol.

Yes, he was in the base path. That baseline is wider than you're allowing for. The fielder is right next to the bag. He's clearly in the base path.

I post this with a heavy heart today. My mother-in-law passed away this morning. She was a wonderful person with a heart of gold who lived a long and prosperous life--(96) years. Her body just couldn't go any more . My wife is having a difficult time today but she's a strong person and understands that her mom is in a much better place today. I've heard all the horror stories about mother-in-law's but she was truly a gift in my life. She will definitely be missed. RIP mom.
Very sorry for your loss. Prayers for all who loved her.

Not even being a homer on this, I don't see that as interference. Hell, we were taught in Little League to try and disrupt double plays. It's legal. I've watched baseball for years. I've seen interference. That was not interference. That was a legit play. The second baseman put himself in a bad position, and the base runner took advantage to disrupt the play, which he is allowed to do because the fielder is in the base path.

Just watched the play. The fielder was in the line. I disagree with the interference call. The baserunner slid hard, which is legal. I've seen a lot worse without any interference called. But ultimately, the ump's call stands, even if I think it's wrong.
I think you're spot on. The runner's arm didn't make the second baseman LeBron it. However...if the arm wasn't up, be it for protection or disturbance, there's no way it should have been called interference.

Edit: I'll also add the arm wasn't as egregious many of the double plays I've seen turned where the second baseman wasn't near the bag.

He was shielding himself from the 2nd baseman. He thought he was going to catch a knee to the face
Shielding is a passive movement. His arm shot out to contact the thigh as he slid past him. If it were the other way around, not a single person here would be saying the Bama player was just shielding himself.

I’ve watched this a million times. The runner just put his arm up, he didn't throw a punch or extend his arm. If he punched him, then he should have been ejected. But that didn’t happen. Also, the fielder didn’t get knocked anywhere. He tried to make the play by moving through the runner who was sliding straight toward the bag. He tried to throw overtop of him bc he knew he wasn’t going to get the guy at first.
I don't see how in the world you can watch that video and say that's what you saw. His arm shot out in an open handed punch totally perpendicular to the direction he was sliding. The fielders leg gets knocked sideways.

Not even being a homer on this, I don't see that as interference. Hell, we were taught in Little League to try and disrupt double plays. It's legal. I've watched baseball for years. I've seen interference. That was not interference. That was a legit play. The second baseman put himself in a bad position, and the base runner took advantage to disrupt the play, which he is allowed to do because the fielder is in the base path.
The fielders leg that was punched was not in the base path. It was to the side at least 6 inches or more. I just can't imagine that throwing a fist/palm out to the side perpendicular to your slide is considered legal.

Reactions: GoVols15
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back