Recruiting Forum Football Talk III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Here's the clear shot. I just don't see how you can say this is not interference.

Just forget intent for a moment. Was the second basemen in the basepath? No. Did the slide affect the throw? Yes. Comon' you guys lol.

Too bad that’s happened a million times without an interference call.

Last edited:

Here's the clear shot. I just don't see how you can say this is not interference.

Just forget intent for a moment. Was the second basemen in the basepath? No. Did the slide affect the throw? Yes. Comon' you guys lol.

That is an absolutely horrible call and I say that as someone completely ok with us losing two and moving on in our March towards the college World Series..... The intent of the rule is to stop runners from going outside the base path..... touching the base with your arm while taking out players( back when baseball was fun).......the fielder made a bad transition.... he is suppose to touch second and move out of way of the runner..... by staying right there at the bag..... he invited that kind of contact...... the rule is vague enough to where it can be interpreted the way you and the ump saw it......

Last edited:
Shielding is a passive movement. His arm shot out to contact the thigh as he slid past him. If it were the other way around, not a single person here would be saying the Bama player was just shielding himself.
He's clearly pulling his arm back when he senses contact. No follow through at all.

The fielders leg that was punched was not in the base path. It was to the side at least 6 inches or more. I just can't imagine that throwing a fist/palm out to the side perpendicular to your slide is considered legal.

Yes, he was in the base path. A legal slide is one in which you can reasonably touch your hands or legs to the base. Max could have slid a little more to the right but he didn’t.

I guess one needs to ask Max why he did it, but he turned his head and could have easily put his hand up to protect himself. Again, this is not a new baseball play, and interference is not called a million times. It’s actually textbook baseball.

I don't see how in the world you can watch that video and say that's what you saw. His arm shot out in an open handed punch totally perpendicular to the direction he was sliding. The fielders leg gets knocked sideways.
So you think Jackie Chan should have been ejected for his heinous and horrific assault? I mean he did hit him hard enough to send him flying through the air with the greatest of ease.

Unless you are looking to make a call like the one called, no ump makes that call. I've played and watched the sport for over 60 years. That was pure Birmingham garbage to protect the Bammers.

If the play was reversed - Alabama player slides in hard with a hand partially up to do whatever - any bets on whether the call is made? Nah.

You can argue back and forth on "intent" all you want. The fact that well intentioned people watching the same video reach totally different conclusions says that what happened was too vague for an umpire to get involved. The rule of thumb in officiating should always be when in doubt, err on the side of a no-call.

The base runner also never left the path and has a right to slide into the bag. He didn’t make any uncommon move to interfere

We talking bed bugs?

pubic-lice-is-found-primarily-in-pubic-hair-but-they-10156010.png

The fielders leg that was punched was not in the base path. It was to the side at least 6 inches or more. I just can't imagine that throwing a fist/palm out to the side perpendicular to your slide is considered legal.

His hand is no farther out than his knee. He even retracts it. Clearly protecting his head lest he get kneed. Legal slide. That view confirms within the baseline. I don’t know how intent weaves its way into the rule honestly, but no way he intended to punch the guys plums.

I don't see how in the world you can watch that video and say that's what you saw. His arm shot out in an open handed punch totally perpendicular to the direction he was sliding. The fielders leg gets knocked sideways.
The way his body reacted clearly indicates the fatal shot came from the Grassy Knoll.

He is sliding straight to the bag. That is not interference. In no way is that ever interference. It was a bs soft call.

I don't think you can punch the fielder or hot him with your arm/hand in a legal slide. I don't know baseball rules very well, but I just don't think that's legal. The slide was perfectly legal, but punching his thigh hard enough to throw him off balance just seems like it wouldn't be legal.
He didn’t punch. Had an open hand the entire time and he was blocking his face from being kneed

That is an absolutely horrible call and I say that as someone completely ok with us losing two and moving on in our March towards the college World Series..... The intent of the rule is to stop runners from going outside the base path..... touching the base with your arm while taking players( back when baseball was fun).......the fielder made a bad transition.... he is suppose to touch second and move out of the runner..... by staying right there at the bag..... he invited that kind of contact...... the rule is vague enough to where it can be interpreted the way you and the ump saw it......

This is correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back