Reasons to think Coach Josh Heupel will move us forward

You really are a black and white, there are only two options kind of guy aren't you.

Please show me one poster who is advocating "building a statue in front of Neyland" for Huepel?

Strawmen everywhere to prop up YOUR opinion which is no more or less valid than someone who looks at Huepel's body of work as a coach and think, man he could have success here

Lol you might want to look up the definition of a "strawman" argument, and then look up "hyperbole"; knowledge is power.

Besides, there are already plenty of posts talking up a 9+ win season, and how Heupel is going to be a top SEC coach in a few years. It's the same unwarranted nonsense that was being spewed when Pruitt was hired.

Lol you might want to look up the definition of a "strawman" argument, and then look up "hyperbole"; knowledge is power.

Besides, there are already plenty of posts talking up a 9+ win season, and how Heupel is going to be a top SEC coach in a few years. It's the same unwarranted nonsense that was being spewed when Pruitt was hired.
You're not convincing the pumpers. They've done the same song and dance the last 4 coaches. JH is the national champion QB whose an offensive guru (we had 2 national champion QBs and a heisman on the last staff but shhhh). He might be a failure here or could be elite. Hasnt coached a down of football here so nobody knows but the likely hood of him winning 9+ games is extremely low. If 2 out of Florida, Georgia and bama were down then maybe but that doesn't look to be the case in the near future.

You're not convincing the pumpers. They've done the same song and dance the last 4 coaches. JH is the national champion QB whose an offensive guru (we had 2 national champion QBs and a heisman on the last staff but shhhh). He might be a failure here or could be elite. Hasnt coached a down of football here so nobody knows but the likely hood of him winning 9+ games is extremely low. If 2 out of Florida, Georgia and bama were down then maybe but that doesn't look to be the case in the near future.

I don't think CJH will be a failure or elite, I think he'll be a 7-8 win coach with the occasional 9 win season. Nothing special but nothing to be excited about.

Reactions: Mtnvol80
LSU was literally throwing their receivers to corner and safety cause they didn't have any. They had a TON of players out for that game. 2018 lsu wasn't in the same stratosphere as 2019
Oh please, you're just trying to be negative for the sake of being negative.

LSU was ranked as high as 5th that year and finished 9-3 in the regular season.

They still had waaay more talented all over the field.

LSU was ranked 7th in the 247 team talent composite ratings and UCF 56th.

You know what position groups weren't depleted for LSU? The rest of the entire team filled with tons of NFL players.

Oh and they were only down 3 defensive backs. That's not nearly as bad as being down your starting QB that got you there.

UCF wasn't nearly the same with that back up.

You really are a black and white, there are only two options kind of guy aren't you.

Please show me one poster who is advocating "building a statue in front of Neyland" for Huepel?

Strawmen everywhere to prop up YOUR opinion which is no more or less valid than someone who looks at Huepel's body of work as a coach and think, man he could have success here
If one doesn’t want to fire the HC before his first game, the goofy effer brings up reincarnating General Neyland. 😅

Reactions: Rickyvol77
I don't think CJH will be a failure or elite, I think he'll be a 7-8 win coach with the occasional 9 win season. Nothing special but nothing to be excited about.
I've been feeling similarly. I have no idea if he can get us in the SEC championship

But, I think it's reasonable to project based off his history and what he's done here thus far that we will at least not be atrocious under him.

To be a perennial 7-8 win coach at Tennessee you at least have to be an average coach, because you're going to have a talent advantage against Vandy, KY, USCjr and Missouri every single year.

Just get talent like TN always does and don't make unbelievably dumb coaching decisions like Dooley, Butch and Pruitt.

Reactions: hog88
I've been feeling similarly. I have no idea if he can get us in the SEC championship

But, I think it's reasonable to project based off his history and what he's done here thus far that we will at least not be atrocious under him.

To be a perennial 7-8 win coach at Tennessee you at least have to be an average coach, because you're going to have a talent advantage against Vandy, KY, USCjr and Missouri every single year.

Just get talent like TN always does and don't make unbelievably dumb coaching decisions like Dooley, Butch and Pruitt.

Agreed, it doesn't take much to win 7-8 every year at UT. Heck Butch was doing it until his flaws became too much for the talent to overcome.

so then you agree that NO ONE was talking about "building statues of CJH in front of Neyland" then correct?

Reactions: butchna
so then you agree that NO ONE was talking about "building statues of CJH in front of Neyland" then correct?

I see you did not Google 'hyperbole'.

The statue statement was in reference to the people prognosticating that Huepel will for sure be a top SEC coach in a few years, before he's even coached a game in the SEC.

Oh please, you're just trying to be negative for the sake of being negative.

LSU was ranked as high as 5th that year and finished 9-3 in the regular season.

They still had waaay more talented all over the field.

LSU was ranked 7th in the 247 team talent composite ratings and UCF 56th.

You know what position groups weren't depleted for LSU? The rest of the entire team filled with tons of NFL players.

Oh and they were only down 3 defensive backs. That's not nearly as bad as being down your starting QB that got you there.

UCF wasn't nearly the same with that back up.
Ignorance is no excuse. Go look up how many didn't play. They barely had enough to field a freaking team so no it wasn't close to the same team

Ignorance is no excuse. Go look up how many didn't play. They barely had enough to field a freaking team so no it wasn't close to the same team
Yeah I did. 3 defensive backs.
7 total according to this article

2018 Fiesta Bowl: LSU without top three cornerbacks, load of defensive players vs. UCF

I have still won this argument. A backup QB at UCF playing against a defense depleted but still as Uber talented as LSU's is a huge disadvantage.

And you had Jor Burrow on the other side having his best game to date.

UT hasn't beaten a top tier SEC team in how long... and folks want to rationalize away a UCF victory over LSU?

Reactions: butchna
How about you let him coach at least one game before you kick him to the curb. But just for the record he has coached a game at Neyland, and won.

Where did I kick him to the curb?

I've stated on numerous occasions that I'd reserve my judgement until he started actually coaching games at UT.

UCF didn't beat LSU, and it wasn't that close, really, once LSU actually showed up.
Sorry. Sometimes my head isn't screwed on as tightly as others... and then I fail to check myself. UCF was competitive in the loss.

The "hope" that offers is that Heupel may have some Kiffin in him. Probably the only thing I truly liked about Kiffin is that ability to keep a vastly inferior roster in games against well-coached, talented opponents. One of the "pleasing moments" of the last several years to me was Urban Meyer whining about how Kiffin coached their match up.

I see you did not Google 'hyperbole'.

The statue statement was in reference to the people prognosticating that Huepel will for sure be a top SEC coach in a few years, before he's even coached a game in the SEC.
Name all one of them. 😏

UCF didn't beat LSU, and it wasn't that close, really, once LSU actually showed up.
More like

UCF kept it close and even had a 14-3 lead despite their offensive line being SEVERLY overmatched, having no business being able to defend against Joe Burrow, Justin Jefferson and Jamar Chase and having a QB that was the back up, had very little experience, was getting abused and had maybe less ability than JG.

Sorry. Sometimes my head isn't screwed on as tightly as others... and then I fail to check myself. UCF was competitive in the loss.

The "hope" that offers is that Heupel may have some Kiffin in him. Probably the only thing I truly liked about Kiffin is that ability to keep a vastly inferior roster in games against well-coached, talented opponents. One of the "pleasing moments" of the last several years to me was Urban Meyer whining about how Kiffin coached their match up.
No biggie. UCF DID beat Auburn the year before and the truth is Heupel inherited a dang good team from Frost.

Hanging too much on any one game for a coach is a bad idea and Heupel is going to struggle in the SEC against high quality players and coaches because ALL coaches struggle in the SEC. There's Vandy as a gimme but mostly there's a lot of talent on the field and very talented coaching.

Saying anything else is premature. Reading too much in from his AAC days is a little silly. Going back to his Miz days is reaching a point where he didn't have full control.

He's a bit of a wild card, Hail Mary hire for an SEC school.

VN Store

Back