Reasons to think Coach Josh Heupel will move us forward

So you're saying after watching Heupel lose to Vandy three years in a row, hypothetically speaking you'd sign up and watch him lead the Vols to a fourth defeat since he must get his four years? You're signing up for that?
Not at all what I said. Good try though

Counterpoints:

1. Outside of the QB position, his recruiting was "meh" at best at UC, with his teams decreasing in production the more Scott Frost's recruits exited the program.
2. His offense scores a lot of points, on bad and mediocre teams, and is relatively average against good teams with winning records.
3. He might be Butch, depending on whether or not he is capable of seeing the flaws in his system and adjusting it or not.
He also had majority of mediocre players as well which is why he would struggle against power 5 teams. A lot goes into a kids decision on where he wants to go. Facilities, proven coaching track record for getting kids into the NFL, playing time etc...

It doesn’t. Just like you dismissing his success doesn’t mean he won’t fare well at UT

I've not dismissed his previous accomplishments; they are what they are.

I just recognize that if his accomplishments warranted a pedestal even half as high as the one some of you are trying to prop him him on, then he'd have had other ADs besides his former boss from a week prior, asking him to interview for open positions.

Reactions: Mtnvol80
He also had majority of mediocre players as well which is why he would struggle against power 5 teams. A lot goes into a kids decision on where he wants to go. Facilities, proven coaching track record for getting kids into the NFL, playing time etc...

Recruiting is going to make or break his offense in the SEC. If he gets a 1st or 2nd round QB developed, then he can band-aid subpar recruiting at some of the other offensive positions for a time, but he won't be able to attempt to outscore everyone on the schedule like he did in the AAC. You still need at least a decent defense in the SEC, or you end up like Ole Miss last year.

Reactions: chrismc1000
How many times does it have to be pointed out that every single team had to deal with covid-related issues?
Once. How many times does it have to be pointed out that those issues hurt some teams worse than others and no two teams the same?

To beat it all, the state of Florida, put the least restrictions on anyone. Covid was not responsible for UCF's defense giving up ~500 YPG, and it was not responsible for them not beating a team with a winning record in 2020.
Which didn't keep any players from opting out or missing games, practice, etc due to Covid protocols.

How am I not giving Heupel a chance? I've stated more than enough times, that I've reserved my judgement on him as UT's coach, until he's actually coached games at UT.
That and then harped on negative stuff. You may not realize what you are doing... but to me you seem pretty negative on him.

Look at his offense's production over time against teams with winning records vs those without winning records. UCF's schedule is rife with bad teams, and those offensive numbers are well-padded by it.

The real unknowns with Huepel is whether or not he is going to be able to adapt his offensive system to consistently work in the SEC, and can his defensive staff put together an actual defense which doesn't give up ~500 YPG.
Do you remember who was OC at Missouri when they won the SEC east?

I'm encouraged that he was able to develop so many 3 stars (or no stars) into NFL draft picks. Offense should take a considerable step forward. I like that he genuinely seems like a good guy, unlike Pruitt. Hopefully he isn't car salesman like Butch.

How about you let him coach at least a game at UT before you start building the statue in front of Neyland?

As usual, you go straight for your favorites in the arsenal: hyperbole and ad hominem. None of us are suggesting he's a sure thing. Here's all I said:

There is a clear enough data pattern to determine that CJH is going to do fine. He won't be a disaster. He might be decent. Maybe even better. Clearly, we're going to have to wait and see. But there is cause for cautious optimism.

As usual, you go straight for your favorites in the arsenal: hyperbole and ad hominem. None of us are suggesting he's a sure thing. Here's all I said:

Danny White is the only AD to ever hire him to a HC job. The only AD to ever even call him and have him interview for a head coaching job, in spite of all of the "accolades" you feel he earned as OC at Missouri and HC at UCF.

You don't have to worry though, Heupel is going to be here for 4 years, regardless. He'll have plenty of time to show whether or not he can be a successful coach in the SEC, no reason to try spin his short coaching career into the meteoric rise of the next Saban..

Reactions: Mtnvol80
Look at his offense's production over time against teams with winning records vs those without winning records. UCF's schedule is rife with bad teams, and those offensive numbers are well-padded by it.

The real unknowns with Huepel is whether or not he is going to be able to adapt his offensive system to consistently work in the SEC, and can his defensive staff put together an actual defense which doesn't give up ~500 YPG.
The guy did have the #1 offense in the SEC. And #3 iirc the year before that. And they were dead last the year before he arrived. So yeah I'd say it works here.

Thank you

How about you let him coach at least a game at UT before you start building the statue in front of Neyland?
You really are a black and white, there are only two options kind of guy aren't you.

Please show me one poster who is advocating "building a statue in front of Neyland" for Huepel?

Strawmen everywhere to prop up YOUR opinion which is no more or less valid than someone who looks at Huepel's body of work as a coach and think, man he could have success here

VN Store

Back