Best single play

Enough with the negativity so let's hear your best single play for Tennessee. We've had so many.
I guess mine might be the 79 yard run by Reggie Cobb against Auburn in 1989. Rained so hard that day, we were soaked.
But that run and that game were ssssooooooooo worth it.

Stumble and fumble

Reactions: miket4god
Any Manning TD against Bama..but I'm really fond of the playaction pass fake that he kept and waltzed into the endzone unmolested. After that play you could hear the gnashing of tooth and lamentations of the Bammerites across the south. And all was good with the world.

Any Manning TD against Bama..but I'm really fond of the playaction pass fake that he kept and waltzed into the endzone unmolested. After that play you could hear the gnashing of tooth and lamentations of the Bammerites across the south. And all was good with the world.

“Gnashing of tooth”........lol, well done

There are so many to choose from and all the above are like walking through a time lapse of Tennessee greatness. I'll throw out one that may not get much recognition because we lost, but it was the Arkansas game within last 5-8 years ( can't remember the year). Evan Berry returned the opening kick off for a touchdown. Neyland was definitely rocking. It was my first game with my son being an adult. We were side by side and trying to talk to each other and all you could do is try and read lips. I'll never forget that moment!! Go Vols!!

Mine is not 1 play but the entire 1998 National Championship game. Not the game, but really the man calling the game on the radio. How sweet it must have been for John Ward to call that game as his last for Tennessee football. What a legend, and a true VFL he was.

There are so many to choose from. I’ll go outside the box and say the final drive versus Arkansas in 98. That was the definition of physical football. We gave the ball to Travis Henry every time and they couldn’t stop it. They knew exactly what we were going to do and they couldn’t do anything about it. The O Line just mauled them.

There were so many crucial plays in that '98 season that everyone remembers. Jeff Hall's game winning FG against Syracuse, Cooper's missed FG in the Florida game, the Stoerner Stumble, and the pick 6 and bomb to Peerless in the NC game.

The Berry hit on Moreno is unforgettable, but for me the best single play is the Dobb Hail Boot against Georgia. That was the first time in a long time that the ball bounced our way. The sheer improbability of the end of that game is remarkable. What a thing to witness.

I was with my church at someone's house, probably 20 of them or more. It was such a beautiful moment when they all got mad🤣
I was coaching my daughter's softball team. I'm first base coach and the third base coach is a huge GA fan. After Eason throws the bomb he is strutting around like a peacock. Then he's tucking his tail after the Dobb-nail boot.

Enough with the negativity so let's hear your best single play for Tennessee. We've had so many.
I guess mine might be the 79 yard run by Reggie Cobb against Auburn in 1989. Rained so hard that day, we were soaked.
But that run and that game were ssssooooooooo worth it.

J. Jones TD run late in the 4th vs. Bama in '84 and both of J. Graham's runs vs. Bama in '95 and '96. Silly Willie's run "all the way to Baton Rouge's state capital was special." D. Carter's 2nd half KO return vs. Florida may have been the loudest I've ever heard Neyland.

Last edited:
Reactions: orangebloodgmc
So many awesome plays and great memories! Kinda depressing to see how far we have fallen as a program!

J. Jones TD run late in the 4th vs. Bama in '84 and both of J. Graham's runs vs. Bama in '95 and '96. Silly Willie's run "all the way to Baton Rouge's state capital was special." D. Carter's 2nd half KO return may have been the loudest I've ever heard Neyland.
Loved that Dale Carter KO return vs. FL. Good call.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc

VN Store

Back