Best single play

Enough with the negativity so let's hear your best single play for Tennessee. We've had so many.
I guess mine might be the 79 yard run by Reggie Cobb against Auburn in 1989. Rained so hard that day, we were soaked.
But that run and that game were ssssooooooooo worth it.

Man, that's up there for me too. I was in the 6th grade and I remember re-enacting that run in the backyard over and over, and spinning the ball and crossing my arms like Reggie did.

Chuck Webb's 78 yarder and Kelly's bomb to Morgan (79 yards?) in the Cotton Bowl that season were also special.

Man, that's up there for me too. I was in the 6th grade and I remember re-enacting that run in the backyard over and over, and spinning the ball and crossing my arms like Reggie did.

Chuck Webb's 78 yarder and Kelly's bomb to Morgan (79 yards?) in the Cotton Bowl that season were also special.
Yup that was a special year.

Hard to beat the 1998 Stoerner Fumble as a play of great consequence.

But my recent favorite is #15 Jauan Jennings beating out a handful of dawgs in the end zone to catch a Dobbs-tossed Hail Mary for the win.

Thanks for a good thread, Mike!

Go Vols!

Bill Duff stuffing Eddie George on 4th down to win the 1996 citrus bowl vs Ohio st.
That was also played in a rain storm. It was a very satisfying game. I remember my daughter locked the keys to her car and when the locksmith came, he said he could not open it without the registration. I told him it was I the glove box and he dais he still couldn't open it. I told him to call the police and let them stand there while he got it door open and got the registration. He look at me and said that if I was willing to do that, he would open it without the police. At the time I was a little up set with him, but looking back, it was the right thing to do.

Last edited:
Enough with the negativity so let's hear your best single play for Tennessee. We've had so many.
I guess mine might be the 79 yard run by Reggie Cobb against Auburn in 1989. Rained so hard that day, we were soaked.
But that run and that game were ssssooooooooo worth it.
Before reading everyone else's replies....

First to come mind is Wilhoit. Next would be Berry's pick 6 on Tebow.

My favorite play I have to go back to Eric Berry decleating Knowsho Moreno (yes I know his name is Knowshon but after EB got through with him, he was a No Show Dont Want No Mo) vaunted UGA RB from New Jersey. The announcers had to use drool cups talking about his greatness. He breaks through and Berry knocks him up in the air and almost out of bounds one on one. Knowsho don't want no mo.

I dont think Ive ever reacted to a single play like I did when Jennings came down with the hail mary at Georgia. Two grown men, one of which was me, hugged like little school girls. Actually, he picked me up and twirled me around like a scene from dirty dancing.
I was going to say Peyton TD on first play vs Bama, but I think I agree w/ this...and I acted the same way. Never such a swing. UGA always forgets the only reason they were in position to win was because they'd thrown their own prayer for a TD just seconds earlier.

My all-time favorite is the second half kickoff of the ‘90 Florida game. I have lot’s of plays I like but that one play tops them all.

I was a Jr in HS playing ball and it was my first experience in Neyland. When Dale Carter reached the 50 yard line, it sounded like a jet taking off. We were in the upper deck and it started shaking. I knew if it collapsed, it would be a long way down!

Great memories! Good thread!

VN Store

Back