Here's an interesting question for the group to think about. Do you think Tennessee football will ever get back to being the powerhouse it once was?

No team will ever do what the 1928 to 30 teams did. 33 games in a row. After one loss, the vols were then unbeaten 28 in a row. Nobody will ever do that again.

Reactions: weallvol and Nooga
No I don’t see it happening we are a relic of the past. We just need to get consistent winning seasons again and bowl games even 7 straight winning seasons of 8-4 or 9-3 type years would be a big step above of how terrible we have been since 2008. I used to laugh at Ole Miss fans for their long now 57 years and counting SEC title drought well I don’t anymore cause we are quickly headed toward a 40 year and longer drought it’s already at 23 years now and counting. Frankly I don’t see us winning another SEC or national title in my lifetime and I’m still just 42.

We're 1/3 of the way to being #1. Gonna get there. Wouldn't trade any players or coaches for anyone else. Hope we can keep V. Oop was thinking base ball first. Football? Like what I'm seeing so far. Wish they still had The Big Orange Caravan that toured . Lot of people could get to know them better.

Reactions: clarencepeabody
Yes. There is a light at the end of the tunnel until there isn’t. My cup is always half full until it’s not. Saban will either retire or die one day and then Bama will come crashing down. Heupel will get UT’s offense rolling again. Georgia and Florida teams aren’t on Bama’s level and I’m not going to pretend they are. They are mortal and capable of being beaten. Yes UT has sucked for many years but to say they’ll never return to the national scene is a defeated attitude.

Thoughts?

future fans will be extremely fortunate if they ever since a period like 1989-2003 again. I definitely won't still be here..

that period was the best in UT football history from a won-loss standpoint and putting talent in the NFL.. and only garnered 1 NC and 4 SEC titles

JMO

Depends on finding the right coach at the right time.

UT already found the wrong coach at the right time with Jones. A rare 2 year period where legacies and Vol blue chips all lined up to play for the Vols. Had he been a competent coach... UT would be on track now.

Nope. The powerhouse days are over. It’s ancient history at this point. I think Tennessee will have good years here and there, but for the most part will be a middle-lower tier sec team.
As long as the resources are invested then that is not a reasonable conclusion. Are you suggesting that fans are walking away from the program and the AD intends to let facilities decline?

Reactions: volncleveland
Depends on finding the right coach at the right time.

UT already found the wrong coach at the right time with Jones. A rare 2 year period where legacies and Vol blue chips all lined up to play for the Vols. Had he been a competent coach... UT would be on track now.

We will eventually get there. I agree with you on wrong coach right time. Lots of folks forget Butch had 9 win seasons back to back in spite of himself and lousy staff. The facilities, the fan base, the money, everything is in place for it to happen except lousy admins and coaching selections. The law of averages say we'll be back in spite of our attempts to shoot ourselves in the foot every chance we get.

VN Store

Back