Here's an interesting question for the group to think about. Do you think Tennessee football will ever get back to being the powerhouse it once was?

I think they can have a special season.
The start is to have some good QBs that players want to play with. Defense will come.
As far as Dynasty.
Its just not the 90s anymore. Back then tennessee was king of the many border states recruiting. Most of the schools in those states were pretty poor. Then teams like Georgia and bama were good but a little down or not a power house. Now Virginia, the Carolinas, Kentucky, missouri, and other are pretty good.
That is really hurting Tennessee in recruiting. I dont really think it will ever go back to that.
Tenn just doesnt produce enough in state talent. Then that talent has been going out of state.

I know I’m gonna get hammered, but the day they fired Phillip Fulmer as head coach, that was the beginning of the end.

Reactions: UTNoFear
Tennessee can get back to being a national title contender for sure. Winning some SEC titles is definitely cyclical and Tennessee is a monster-sized program.

Reactions: RDU VOL#14
To once again ascend to semi dominance we would need 3-4 years of overachieving. Start getting recruits in and then get some wins agains the Bama’s, OSUs, Clemson etc.

So in other words not likely.

Reactions: Big Al Orange
Tennessee high school football needs to continue improving. Need some NIL guru in the AD. Need some hits from the portal. Return to glory will go hand in hand with recruiting.

In 1970, ncaa added another game to expand to 11 game seasons. They later went to 12.

Since 1970 Tennessee has won 400 games. That is an average of 8 wins a year. That is what Tennessee football is.

No team will ever do what the 1928 to 30 teams did. 33 games in a row. After one loss, the vols were then unbeaten 28 in a row. Nobody will ever do that again.
That old man football can't be compared to anything today. Yes it was a great accomplishment can't take away from that but that wasn't anything like football today.

Yes. Probably not in our lifetime though.
This logic doesn’t make sense to me. What will Tennessee have when we’re dead that they don’t have right now?

It only takes a couple years to go from the cellar to #1 or #2 in the country. If OM and MSU can get that high that fast so can we... hopefully we’ll be able to take that next step though and stay there longer than they did.

Reactions: GetYouSomeofThat
Yes we can damnit. Look at our baseball team. It can be done. Even if it’s not I’m going down with my team

I try not to think, but the Neyland legacy and the historical relevance of the program demand that UT restores itself to the top of the football landscape.

Thoughts?

POWERHOUSE? We're so far from powerhouse stature you need a telescope to find it. Can we be upper echelon? Absolutely but we're about as far from that as possible. Take it one step at a time. Asking the question itself shows some delusion. We've been so far away from so called "powerhouse" I think most would view "reasonable success" as a marked improvement after almost 20 years of crap.

We're at basics here. Look like a well coached team, play like a well coached team and act like you're a well coached team. The term "powerhouse" should not be used as a measure of our success until we get respectable first. Quit being an idiot and setting yourself up for massive disappointment if "powerhouse" is your expected level of program satisfaction.

Reactions: Mtnvol80
Honestly no i don't believe it will not like it was then, I hope to have good seasons and a few great seasons with some sec east titles and maybe an sec championship sprinkled in somewhere. Times have changed there's too many opportunities now,alot more schools that offer what only a handful offered back in the day.

Possibly. With college football now resembling a pillow fight for the most part don't give up hope..

VN Store

Back