Here's an interesting question for the group to think about. Do you think Tennessee football will ever get back to being the powerhouse it once was?

Yes, but with all due respect this has been discussed a million times. Some say yes, some so no time will tell and that is the only real answer. But put me down for yes the program has too loyal fan base and a commited program. A bunch of resources located in a beautiful area, and a ton of rich tradition. Of course we can get back to winning a sec title and competing for another every 3-4 years and going to the playoffs every 3-4 years and playing for a national title every 4-5 years.. Yes we can get back to that. GBO!!!!

Reactions: CA_Vol
We’ve mostly been long stretches of mediocre followed by a few years of good to really good. Then another decade of mediocre. Doesn’t mean you don’t want them to do well. But if you can’t take the reality of it you should go for a team like bama. We’ve just happened to string almost two decades of mediocre to bad teams in a row. You can still get on here and read about them, and pull for them to win every time they play. It’s not the end of the world when we lose a football game.

As long as the resources are invested then that is not a reasonable conclusion. Are you suggesting that fans are walking away from the program and the AD intends to let facilities decline?

The resources haven’t been an issue for the past 20 years either, have they helped us field a powerhouse?

Reactions: knoxvol16
They have to at least MAKE IT TO THE SEC CHAMPIONSHIP game first which they’ve proven they cannot do even when it was on a silver platter, to have any talk about national prominence

Reactions: knoxvol16
I absolutely believe we can be a powerhouse again. If Clemson can hijack our program and do what they’ve done in 12 years or so then there is no reason we can’t do the same. Bama won’t always be Bama, Clemson will fall off eventually. UGA wasn’t even a contender for the East for the first 10 years of division play . Everything goes in cycles, if we find the right combo of coaches, quarterbacks and playmakers I don’t think it will take as long as others would think.

If we're honest with ourselves, when in the modern era of CFB were we ever a "powerhouse" by any definition?

In the last 30 years we have a 3 division titles, 3 conference titles, and 1 National Championship. Hell, if you go back 50 years, you are only adding 2 more conference titles to that list.

The potential has always been there and will continue to be there to have a program that can compete for the Eastern division, but the administration, boosters, power brokers are all idiots and as long as things remain the same there, we will continue to be irrelevant.

It all comes down to finding the right coach

Take a look at any dynasty and it is built on the personality, will and competence of that coach.

Get the right coach.
It's also built on being modernized and up to date not saying yes or no to Josh Hepuel being the guy or not BUT he does modernize us. His numbers every where he has been proves he understand what has to be done to win in today game.

Reactions: Big Al Orange
Nah we are basically Nebraska we will have the occasional 9 win season.

We are much different from Nebraska. The right coach can actually recruit top talent to Tennessee, Nebraska, not so much it seems. Knoxville is a much more attractive destination for top high school talent. Now, that "right" coach actually has to develop that talent. That is all we have been missing.

Reactions: EconVol92
We are much different from Nebraska. The right coach can actually recruit top talent to Tennessee, Nebraska, not so much it seems. Now, that "right" coach actually has to develop that talent. That is all we have been missing.
I’m giving JH a fair chance I won’t judge until after three seasons but based off his results at UCF where his teams regressed each season I’m not very optimistic

I’m giving JH a fair chance I won’t judge until after three seasons but based off his results at UCF where his teams regressed each season I’m not very optimistic

I would look at last year differently. UCF had a bunch of opt outs. Really hurt them on defense, and their losses for the most part were close losses even with that.

I would look at last year differently. UCF had a bunch of opt outs. Really hurt them on defense, and their losses for the most part were close losses even with that.
I understand that but literally every team in the country was impacted by covid and opt outs not just UCF

VN Store

Back