Heupel: Vols' suspended players 'earning their way back'

I'm of the opinion, given how this is playing out, that coach and/or the school thinks there were instigators and followers in the dorm incident. I'm willing to believe that Heupel knows as much as anyone who wasn't there and he can make the calls about punishment per individual.

Beasley has an uphill climb for me personally, but it's not my call. God knows I've done some godawful, out of character, brain dead stupid things in the heat of the moment..... but that reaction in that situation is troubling for me.
Yeah I mean it would be nice to have him on the team. Would sure up the linebacker depth along with Willis returning, but I could even see students protesting his reinstatement on the team. People love kittens. I know I do šŸ˜»

Oh and the opposing fan bases...yikes

Imagine if he played basketball and he went into Cameron Indoor...

I don't think the reporter necessarily made anything up, or the campus police, either.

But folks in this thread sure are.

Here was the claim by Sona in post #5: "The 'guys smoking weed' admitted to the police that the weed was acquired during the commission of an aggravated burglary."

I challenge Sona, or you, or anyone here, to find these supposed 'facts' from his claim in the link you provided:

a. That anyone was smoking weed.
b. That weed was involved in any other way.
c. That anyone accused of a crime admitted anything to police.
d. That any football players were involved.
e. That aggravated burglary was charged.

You won't find any of that in the news clip you linked. It's simply not there.

See, we hear a rumor here and a rumor there, maybe from a semi-reliable source, maybe from just some dude who heard from a friend, and we--we, the folks on VN.com--put it all together and add our own suppositions, then act as if we know what happened.

I mean, just look at how many layers most of us are separated from the actual facts:

a. None of us were there when it happened.
b. I doubt any of us are the campus police who responded to the call. So don't even have direct after-the-fact (second-hand) knowledge.
c. I doubt any of us even work in the campus police dept or are married to a campus cop, or close friends with one, so able to get the info third-hand.
d. I even doubt any of us are the reporters who talked to the police or read the police blotter to write up a story for Channel 10, or whatever media outlet they work for.
d. Our very best (fourth-hand) info is from Channel 10, whose reporter got the info from the police blotter which got the info from the police on the scene who got the info from the witnesses and victims.

And we're not even quoting that fourth-hand source properly, as you can see above with the disconnects between what Sona said and what Channel 10 gave us.

Yeah. We have absolutely no clue what really happened. Rumor Mill at work.
Chill, dude. You asked for an email and I gave you a link about its existence.

FFS...... try some decaf.

That's just absolutely ridiculous.

Spot on. Heupel is the captain of this ship. The buck stops with him(after the university of course) and rightfully so.

The HEAD COACH makes the decision whether or not an individual stays on the team, comes back to the team.. or any other permutations. PERIOD.
ā€œ Player led decision ā€..??!!!! GMAFB. Thatā€™s ludicrous.
Coach Heupel can and should privately consult with his players but HE... and only he decides if they stay or go.

Oh for god's sake! OBVIOUSLY Huepel needs to be the one to ultimately carry out the sentence. I'm not saying the players should just run amok and make all the decisions willy nilly with no input from the coaches. What I'm saying is the team leadership needs to be a part of this process to give them some "ownership" of the program. Geez, how many times have you heard coaches say that leadership needs to come from the players? This is what I meant when I said what I said. What sounds better to you? A coach going to his team and saying "Your team mate screwed up and now he's gone." or "Hey team leaders, one of your players screwed up royally. Let's discuss this, get on the same page, and decide what measures need to be taken" Which approach do you think is healthier for the team?

Last edited:
I don't think the reporter necessarily made anything up, or the campus police, either.

Here was the claim by Sona in post #5: "The 'guys smoking weed' admitted to the police that the weed was acquired during the commission of an aggravated burglary."

I challenge Sona, or you, or anyone here, to find these supposed 'facts' from his claim in the link you provided:

See, we hear a rumor here and a rumor there, maybe from a semi-reliable source, maybe from just some dude who heard from a friend, and we--we, the folks on VN.com--put it all together and add our own suppositions, then act as if we know what happened.

I mean, just look at how many layers most of us are separated from the actual facts:

b. I doubt any of us are the campus police who responded to the call. So don't even have direct after-the-fact (second-hand) knowledge.
c. I doubt any of us even work in the campus police dept or are married to a campus cop, or close friends with one, so able to get the info third-hand.
d. I even doubt any of us are the reporters who talked to the police or read the police blotter to write up a story for Channel 10, or whatever media outlet they work for.
d. Our very best (fourth-hand) info is from Channel 10, whose reporter got the info from the police blotter which got the info from the police on the scene who got the info from the witnesses and victims.

And we're not even quoting that fourth-hand source properly, as you can see above with the disconnects between what Sona said and what Channel 10 gave us.

Suggesting that we have "no clue" what happened is a bit of a stretch, isn't it?

Your a-e list of objections are kind of how much of journalism works though, isn't it? Take a current news story (cyber attack on Colonial) and apply it to your criteria: a) How many of us were at Colonial when the cyber attack occurred? b and c) Are any of us FBI agents or NSA employees (second hand knowledge). Are we married to those persons d) are we journalists who talked those who were there?

Yet, if you need to fill your gas tank in the next week or so in Virginia or Tennessee, you might discover the tangible impact of what, by your listed standards, is apparently conjecture. Volnation is not a research paper with carefully documented footnotes; Players did get arrested and did get suspended. Our acknowledgment and discussion of that doesn't have to meet some kind of courtroom standard. And there is often quite a bit of accuracy in the rumor mills that you disparage. Whether reading "legitimate" journalism--if it exists-- or internet fodder, the reader has the responsibility to use discernment to assess what is likely and what is not.

The "guys smoking weed" admitted to the police that the weed was acquired during the commission of an aggravated burglary.

It isn't just lighting one up after practice.
I love how all of the "legalize marijuana" soapboxers never acknowledge the number of crimes that are committed along with marijuana possession.

Reactions: Rickyvol77
I love how all of the "legalize marijuana" soapboxers never acknowledge the number of crimes that are committed along with marijuana possession.
One has jack to do with the other.
One could make the argument that if it were legal, it would be more attainable and the these types of occurrences would lessen.

It's legal out here in California, but certain companies won't allow you to work for them if you partake. Again, it all comes down to personal choices...not the product.

Yeah. Sorry hugs and weak promises aren't going to cut it. After they meet the coaching staff's expectations, they should go before a players tribune and see if they are worthy of being reinstated and under what circumstances. Or...hit the transfer portal.
So you are in favor of the players deciding who stays? Smdh, why do you think they pay head coaches the big bucks? Why would a coach put his job in jeopardy by letting players make decisions for him?

Reactions: Myrtleturtle
This conclusion brought to you by: Rumor Mill.

Or you know, the police report.

ā€œThe defendant was found in possession of 8 grams of a green leafy substance admitted to be marijuana. The defendant admitted this was obtained as the result of an aggravated burglary that he participated in. The aggravated burglary occurred on 9 March 2021 at approximately 19:45 hours.

The defendant was found in possession of 2 scales used for marijuana and with remnants on them. The defendant admitted that one of scales were obtained as the result of an aggravated burglary that he participated in.ā€

That's French. You can read the rest of them here: UT Players Arrest Report

I didn't say they were charged with aggravated burglary. They did however admit to police that they acquired the weed and scales during the commission of one.

Arrest report released for 3 Vols football players after incident on March 9 | WATE 6 On Your Side

You guys are missing the point about a player tribune. I promise you, there's a student representative on the Board of Trustees and the Chancellor's Advisory Board.

You don't go through the process that CJH went through to find the leadership among his players and then say, "That's aiight. I got this.". The leaders inside the locker room either have a say or they don't have any effective power. Before you let a cancer into your locker room, wouldn't you want to ask your leadership inside the locker room their thoughts? Head coach makes the final decision. That's a given. But if you don't involve members of the team, then this family bullxxxt the coaching staff is preaching is just that. You don't have a team.

Don't y'all think if Beasley done what the girl said he did that he'd be charged which has not happened. For all we know he moved it gingerly with his foot and the girl said he was beating it to death. None of us really know what happened

Reactions: orangebloodgmc

Something unacceptable to the school and coaching staff happened such that 4-5 guys got suspended and 2 of those hit the portal. The others may or may not be working towards regaining good standing within the football program.

Did I state anything untrue?

Reactions: Myrtleturtle
Oh for god's sake! OBVIOUSLY Huepel needs to be the one to ultimately carry out the sentence. I'm not saying the players should just run amok and make all the decisions willy nilly with no input from the coaches. What I'm saying is the team leadership needs to be a part of this process to give them some "ownership" of the program. Geez, how many times have you heard coaches say that leadership needs to come from the players? This is what I meant when I said what I said. What sounds better to you? A coach going to his team and saying "Your team mate screwed up and now he's gone." or "Hey team leaders, one of your players screwed up royally. Let's discuss this, get on the same page, and decide what measures need to be taken" Which approach do you think is healthier for the team?
That is not what your original post intimated. You said let the players lead. Big difference.

Reactions: guido4198
Yeah. Sorry hugs and weak promises aren't going to cut it. After they meet the coaching staff's expectations, they should go before a players tribune and see if they are worthy of being reinstated and under what circumstances. Or...hit the transfer portal.

Yeah, and then we can just pick up some others in the portal who refused to work their way back into their previous program. Easier.

Don't y'all think if Beasley done what the girl said he did that he'd be charged which has not happened. For all we know he moved it gingerly with his foot and the girl said he was beating it to death. None of us really know what happened
The cat ended up in a vet hospital for a couple of days. I don't think there's a "conspiracy" involving a vet..... and his gf was the one who texted someone that he'd put the cat in the toilet, I think.

As I said, I've done some dumb sh*t in the heat of anger so I'm not trying to overreact to this, but the cat isn't going to "fake" injuries and his gf said he did it, so.......

LB Beasley Under Investigation

Last edited:
The cat ended up in a vet hospital for a couple of days. I don't think there's a "conspiracy" involving a vet..... and his gf was the one who texted someone that he'd put the cat in the toilet, I think.

As I said, I've done some dumb sh*t in the heat of anger so I'm not trying to overreact to this, but the cat isn't going to "fake" injuries and his gf said he did it, so.......

LB Beasley Under Investigation
Oh well if she said so it must be true.....really I'm not defending him if he did in fact do it but honestly after everything that's happened over the last few years I don't believe anything until there's solid proof. In this case there is none as of yet, yeah ok the cat went to the vet and had injuries and hear say from the GF that he did it...no evidence that he did it

The HEAD COACH makes the decision whether or not an individual stays on the team, comes back to the team.. or any other permutations. PERIOD.
ā€œ Player led decision ā€..??!!!! GMAFB. Thatā€™s ludicrous.
Coach Heupel can and should privately consult with his players but HE... and only he decides if they stay or go.

IMO if a coach is doing his job he knows how the players as a whole feel about the status of the said player or players. He should take that and a whole list of factors into his decision, he is ultimately responsible.

VN Store

Back