Heupel: Vols' suspended players 'earning their way back'

kamoshika

During his interview on "SportsTalk"...on Tuesday, Heupel didn't name any names...but the Tennessee coach suggested some of the suspended players [Beasley, Willis, and/or Salter] could be on their way back toward reinstatement.

“Those guys are currently in the process of just earning their way back inside of our program,” Heupel said. “There’s a standard of what it means to be a student here at the University of Tennessee. There’s a standard of what it means to represent this football program and this athletic department. Our kids are going to live right, do right. That’s on the field, that’s off the field, but we also understand that kids are going to make mistakes and you give them an opportunity to grow, and look forward to those guys going through that process here during the course of the summer.”
Heupel: Vols' suspended players 'earning their way back'

I like the way he is handling that. He’s not letting them off scott free or writing them off , and giving them an opportunity to learn their mistakes and earn another chance. It’s up to them. It worked out good for JJ and Jeremy Banks when they had their issues.

The guys smoking weed, give them internal punishment and give them the chance to earn their way back. The guy who injured the cat however, move along. That is a red line. He's lucky he doesn't go to jail.

The "guys smoking weed" admitted to the police that the weed was acquired during the commission of an aggravated burglary.

It isn't just lighting one up after practice.

Yeah. Sorry hugs and weak promises aren't going to cut it. After they meet the coaching staff's expectations, they should go before a players tribune and see if they are worthy of being reinstated and under what circumstances. Or...hit the transfer portal.

Agreed. Deciding whether or not to keep a player should be player led.

The "guys smoking weed" admitted to the police that the weed was acquired during the commission of an aggravated burglary.

It isn't just lighting one up after practice.

The pressure to win is too high for coaches to worry about players getting high...

The HEAD COACH makes the decision whether or not an individual stays on the team, comes back to the team.. or any other permutations. PERIOD.
“ Player led decision ”..??!!!! GMAFB. That’s ludicrous.
Coach Heupel can and should privately consult with his players but HE... and only he decides if they stay or go.

Willis was the first player to comment on an Instagram post about the Bowling Green game moved to Thursday night. So obviously thats a sign towards him staying around.

Surprised Beasley still has a chance. It is still an alleged issue, but it's still really shaky.

I'm not sure we or anybody should take him right now. He should probably just go Juco and come back next year or go somewhere else. Probably better for him to lay low for a minute and maybe see a damn psychiatrist.

How about a news report of that email? I'm not a student, are you? I don't get student emails, do you?

But maybe the news made it up?

UTPD issues safety notice for students after assault and burglary reported at dorm hall | wbir.com
Hey maybe the dude with the weed deserved to get his butt whipped.

Let's start this rumor:

The guy that got jumped, framed Aaron Beasley for the kitten flushing!

It was just cosmic justice and our boys are all innocent!

How about a news report of that email? I'm not a student, are you? I don't get student emails, do you?

But maybe the news made it up?

UTPD issues safety notice for students after assault and burglary reported at dorm hall | wbir.com
I don't think the reporter necessarily made anything up, or the campus police, either.

But folks in this thread sure are.

Here was the claim by Sona in post #5: "The 'guys smoking weed' admitted to the police that the weed was acquired during the commission of an aggravated burglary."

I challenge Sona, or you, or anyone here, to find these supposed 'facts' from his claim in the link you provided:

a. That anyone was smoking weed.
b. That weed was involved in any other way.
c. That anyone accused of a crime admitted anything to police.
d. That any football players were involved.
e. That aggravated burglary was charged.

You won't find any of that in the news clip you linked. It's simply not there.

See, we hear a rumor here and a rumor there, maybe from a semi-reliable source, maybe from just some dude who heard from a friend, and we--we, the folks on VN.com--put it all together and add our own suppositions, then act as if we know what happened.

I mean, just look at how many layers most of us are separated from the actual facts:

a. None of us were there when it happened.
b. I doubt any of us are the campus police who responded to the call. So don't even have direct after-the-fact (second-hand) knowledge.
c. I doubt any of us even work in the campus police dept or are married to a campus cop, or close friends with one, so able to get the info third-hand.
d. I even doubt any of us are the reporters who talked to the police or read the police blotter to write up a story for Channel 10, or whatever media outlet they work for.
d. Our very best (fourth-hand) info is from Channel 10, whose reporter got the info from the police blotter which got the info from the police on the scene who got the info from the witnesses and victims.

And we're not even quoting that fourth-hand source properly, as you can see above with the disconnects between what Sona said and what Channel 10 gave us.

Yeah. We have absolutely no clue what really happened. Rumor Mill at work.

Hey maybe the dude with the weed deserved to get his butt whipped.

Let's start this rumor:

The guy that got jumped, framed Aaron Beasley for the kitten flushing!

It was just cosmic justice and our boys are all innocent!
I'm of the opinion, given how this is playing out, that coach and/or the school thinks there were instigators and followers in the dorm incident. I'm willing to believe that Heupel knows as much as anyone who wasn't there and he can make the calls about punishment per individual.

Beasley has an uphill climb for me personally, but it's not my call. God knows I've done some godawful, out of character, brain dead stupid things in the heat of the moment..... but that reaction in that situation is troubling for me.

VN Store

Back