Non-Lady Vol Basketball News 2023-24

I should have been clearer. By bumps in the road, I meant a couple of games where they are in jeopardy of losing.

Also I don't get "SCAR" is not how you spell "CT". I use SCAR as an abbreviation for The University of South Carolina because it is how it is abbreviated on ESPN which appears to be the SCAR fans new outlet of choice. I recognize the fact that the SEC is terrified of playing football against the UConn football team, but I assure you every one associated with UConn would love to be able to play in the SEC or the ACC.

I don't really care how you spell "SCAR" or refer to South Carolina. I put the sentence in your above comment in bold, because I feel that could more readily describe CT's schedule than SC's. The majority of CT's schedule is typically a softer one, while the majority of SC's is typically a more tougher, more physical one.

CT will typically rate a higher NET rating now, because the people "in charge" of such things have reverted to the older policy of biased rating systems based more on wins than on exactly WHO they get wins against - it was this former biased, non-transparent process that created the need for the RPI formula. So now if a team goes undefeated, but played a softer overall schedule than another team that lost 2-3 games, but still played an overall tougher schedule and had those losses against top competition, the first undefeated team will still rate the higher NET rating.

This is why those who came up with the NET "formula" refuse to disclose the one aspect that makes the final vote, and actually applies the final rating. The NET even exposes itself to a degree:

#1 NET Stanford was 17-2 vs Q1 NET opponents, and 8-0 vs Q2 NET opponents. They were 6-0 vs Q3/4 opponents. They probably deserved to be #1 in NET rankings.

#3 Baylor was 13-3 vs Q1 opp, and 6-0 vs Q2 opp. They were 9-0 vs Q3/4 opp.

#4 Maryland was 11-3 vs Q1, and 5-0 vs Q2. They were 10-0 vs Q3/4 opp.

#5 USC (South Carolina) was 16-5 vs Q1 opp, and 5-0 vs Q2 opp. They were 5-0 vs Q3/4 opp.

#2 CT was 10-2 vs Q1 opp, and 5-0 vs Q2 opp. They were 13-0 vs Q3/4 opponents. That's a large # of tier 3 and 4 NET opponents, and a huge % of their overall schedule (43%). But they weren't rated highly in NET due to how strong their schedule was, and they won against that schedule. They were rated highly purely on how they won against whatever schedule they played.

Of the top 5 rated NET teams, Connecticut played against the fewest # of Q1 NET opponents, and played against the most Q3 & 4 Net opponents. They probably should have been rated #5 out of the 5, to be truthful, if the NET "formula" was used the way it was intended for. But the bias element of that formula is what impacted the ratings. And CT benefited for facing just a "bump or two" on their way to the tournament....

A handle like "NeedOrange" in my state would imply a fan of Moo U aka the Udder University.

On my last trip to Chapel Hill the scoreboard read NoCar vs SoCar.

In an effort to stop the confusion with the west coast's "University of Spoiled Children" we now use the abbreviation UofSC.

A handle like "NeedOrange" in my state would imply a fan of Moo U aka the Udder University.

In an effort to stop the confusion with the west coast's "University of Spoiled Children" we now use the abbreviation UofSC.

He's implying that he, as a UConn fan, believes that WCBB needs Tennessee to get back to lofty heights for the greater good or something like that. Probably also has some beachfront property in the Sahara Desert that he's selling :rolleyes:

I don't really care how you spell "SCAR" or refer to South Carolina. I put the sentence in your above comment in bold, because I feel that could more readily describe CT's schedule than SC's. The majority of CT's schedule is typically a softer one, while the majority of SC's is typically a more tougher, more physical one.

CT will typically rate a higher NET rating now, because the people "in charge" of such things have reverted to the older policy of biased rating systems based more on wins than on exactly WHO they get wins against - it was this former biased, non-transparent process that created the need for the RPI formula. So now if a team goes undefeated, but played a softer overall schedule than another team that lost 2-3 games, but still played an overall tougher schedule and had those losses against top competition, the first undefeated team will still rate the higher NET rating.

This is why those who came up with the NET "formula" refuse to disclose the one aspect that makes the final vote, and actually applies the final rating. The NET even exposes itself to a degree:

#1 NET Stanford was 17-2 vs Q1 NET opponents, and 8-0 vs Q2 NET opponents. They were 6-0 vs Q3/4 opponents. They probably deserved to be #1 in NET rankings.

#3 Baylor was 13-3 vs Q1 opp, and 6-0 vs Q2 opp. They were 9-0 vs Q3/4 opp.

#4 Maryland was 11-3 vs Q1, and 5-0 vs Q2. They were 10-0 vs Q3/4 opp.

#5 USC (South Carolina) was 16-5 vs Q1 opp, and 5-0 vs Q2 opp. They were 5-0 vs Q3/4 opp.

#2 CT was 10-2 vs Q1 opp, and 5-0 vs Q2 opp. They were 13-0 vs Q3/4 opponents. That's a large # of tier 3 and 4 NET opponents, and a huge % of their overall schedule (43%). But they weren't rated highly in NET due to how strong their schedule was, and they won against that schedule. They were rated highly purely on how they won against whatever schedule they played.

Of the top 5 rated NET teams, Connecticut played against the fewest # of Q1 NET opponents, and played against the most Q3 & 4 Net opponents. They probably should have been rated #5 out of the 5, to be truthful, if the NET "formula" was used the way it was intended for. But the bias element of that formula is what impacted the ratings. And CT benefited for facing just a "bump or two" on their way to the tournament....
old news - Yup. All the UConn fans know last years team was flawed and our schedule didn't help indoctrinate all the kids.. Most of us figured elite 8 finish and the end of the FF streak. But the Kids won a lot. But there is only one stat you need to concern yourself with 59-63. and I go on record (again) as saying our toughest game this year could be at CLA. See ya there!

I live in South Carolina. In fact my ancestors were granted 700 acres from the Queen in southern Spartanburg and Northern Union counties. My given name is famous in the history of the state. My entire family is GC4L. My son-in-law won't allow pumpkins during Halloween because of the color. Relatives of mine were conspicuous coaches for the SCAR football team. So I do kind of get the state. I post on many boards under many names. My choosing this name was given great thought and many of the serious posters on this site understand and accept a UConn women's basketball fan's appropriation of their beloved hue as a statement of honor to what they hold dear.

In short I understand the State of South Carolina and the mindset of its fans.

I agree that it will the battle of SC's frontcourt vs. UConn's backcourt. If Dawn is able to get Cardosa and Boston to co-exist on the court at the same time, that will be a nightmare matchup. Where I give the edge to SC is that I think it will harder for UConn to defend the twin towers than for SC to defend The Bueckers and Fudd Show. This is the kind of matchup that shuts down Williams because she's not a good enough outside shooter and she likes to take it to the basket. Cardosa/Boston will take that option away from her, and UConn will live/die by their star guards ability to hit tightly contested jump shots from 15 feet out on a regular basis. I think the on-the-court mismatches will outweigh Geno's advantage over Dawn in coaching x's and o's.

Both teams will be loaded for the next few years, but SC has the potential to be overwhelmingly dominant for the next two seasons.

I'm super excited to get a look at Fudd against top competition. There is no question that she was ahead of Bueckers at one point. I feel like Bueckers exploded after that first Team USA run and Fudd has had the injuries and cancellations since. Getting a sense of who Fudd is in comparison at the college level will be interesting.

Reactions: mcannon1
You may be overreacting to what Cardoso can bring to the table. She brings rebounding and shot blocking. SCAR was one of the top teams in rebounding and blocked shots before Cardoso arrives. SCAR's weakness is guard play not post performance. SCAR would have been better of in getting Jordan Lewis to have transferred in than Cardaso. Lewis strengthens a weakness, Cardaso adds to a strength.

UConn's weakness was post play. Geno got a B1G all conference post who averaged 12 and 9 in a pretty tough conference and shot 39% from three in the 2019-2020 season. (Plus the top post in the 2021 class) I think UConn is going to be significantly better this year than last year. Cardoso brings an incremental difference to SCAR.

People keep saying that South Carolina can't improve it's comparative strength in the front court but:

Victaria Saxton played 30 minutes against Stanford, scored 0 pts and grabbed 1 rebound, while being an ineffective defender vs Haley Jones. She's solid but not a star.

Amihere was up and down all season long and is more potential than realized talent at this point.

Boston was rarely in foul trouble and I don't think she had a conditioning problem, but at a minimum Cardoso eliminates both of those at times raised concerns at the post position.

All I know is back in the day, Wilson and Coates were OK. When Coates was hurt, the SC offense changed and made them the championship team they were that year. Boston and Cardoso together. Stay tuned , film at 11.

1. I've never thought that was true, but more importantly the numbers don't really show that it was true.

2. Boston and Cardoso are different players than Wilson and Coates. And they'll be surrounded by different players. If Coates had been 6'7 that would have been a terrifying thing.

Sensible people only use U of SC to mock the decision makers who came up with it.

She was on our offer list, but never expected her to be a Lady Vol. That gives Texas number 48 and 49 on the Hoopgurlz list thus far.

Last edited:
Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
It wasn't unusual for Boston to pick up two fouls in the first half and have to sit until the 3rd quarter. When she went out with the game seemingly in hand the other team often mounted a come back and then she'd have to return. Cardosa can help in those situations.

She was on our offer list, but never expected her to be a Lady Vol. That gives Texas number 48 and 49 on the Hoopgurlz list thus far.

Vic is doing a good job with recruits and portal grabs so far. He's significantly upgraded the team, even with Collier graduating. They might be a little thin at the C spot this season, but Mohammed will provide good depth in '22. He'll have a solid frontcourt rotation.

Vic is doing a good job with recruits and portal grabs so far. He's significantly upgraded the team, even with Collier graduating. They might be a little thin at the C spot this season, but Mohammed will provide good depth in '22. He'll have a solid frontcourt rotation.
If he needs to do anything else he will need some players to leave 14 for 2022 and he has a huge offer list. You want be able to go over in 2022 so he is sitting on one scholarship at the present time.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
If he needs to do anything else he will need some players to leave 14 for 2022 and he has a huge offer list. You want be able to go over in 2022 so he is sitting on one scholarship at the present time.
He lost 5 players to graduation and transfers, and gained 6 players in recruits/transfers. So he will have 13 on the roster this coming season. There's going to be natural attrition. Chevalier has to see the writing on the wall with Matharu, Harmon and Hunter competing for minutes, so I wouldn't be surpried to see her go. Ebo, Warren and Allen-Taylor will graduate after next season...so that's an additional 4 that he can take in '22 if he wants to load the roster up (not including his current '22 commits).

He lost 5 players to graduation and transfers, and gained 6 players in recruits/transfers. So he will have 13 on the roster this coming season. There's going to be natural attrition. Chevalier has to see the writing on the wall with Matharu, Harmon and Hunter competing for minutes, so I wouldn't be surpried to see her go. Ebo, Warren and Allen-Taylor will graduate after next season...so that's an additional 4 that he can take in '22 if he wants to load the roster up (not including his current '22 commits).
Raoul shows him with 14 on scholarship with Muhammad next season so he is either wrong or you are.

VN Store

Back