Non-Lady Vol Basketball News 2023-24

13 pages on Boneyard discussing this transfer. Many think it won't make much of a difference but 13 pages and counting speaks volumes.

Didn't the UCONN board admins graciously create a place for fans without dedicated forums, such as SC WBB fans, to go and discuss their teams with other WBB fans? How many of the posts in the 13 pages are SC fans squatting on the UCONN board because they have no other place to go?

USC's already good defense and rebounding should improve. Boston's fouls and fatigue kept her on the bench for way too many minutes last season. LA has made progress but turns the ball over far too much. With Cardosa we can play more aggressively on both ends of the court knowing we have depth with the bigs. If USC was out rebounded last season I don't remember it but I would expect them to own the boards again. Dawn's off season practices should focus on making lay ups.

UConn would have taken Cardosa in a skinny minute. Geno can coach players to perform better but no amount of coaching can make a player 6 foot 7 inches.

UConn fans really wanted Cardosa but since she cast her lot with USC she's suddenly less talented.
They did. The narrative started to shift when the news that Duke and other schools not named Auburn were rumored to be in the mix The initial 17 page Cardoso transferring thread that was created the day the Cardoso transferred was overwhelming positive (I would say about 75 to 80%) wanted her to come to UConn. The Boneyard poll about whether to add Cardoso was created on Wednesday when other schools not named Duke, LSU, Texas were rumored to be in the involved with Cardoso.

Reactions: xtpsrh08123
Didn't the UCONN board admins graciously create a place for fans without dedicated forums, such as SC WBB fans, to go and discuss their teams with other WBB fans? How many of the posts in the 13 pages are SC fans squatting on the UCONN board because they have no other place to go?

Only a couple and fairly well treated to be in enemy territory.

Reactions: Mr. Doo Wop
You may be overreacting to what Cardoso can bring to the table. She brings rebounding and shot blocking. SCAR was one of the top teams in rebounding and blocked shots before Cardoso arrives. SCAR's weakness is guard play not post performance. SCAR would have been better of in getting Jordan Lewis to have transferred in than Cardaso. Lewis strengthens a weakness, Cardaso adds to a strength.

UConn's weakness was post play. Geno got a B1G all conference post who averaged 12 and 9 in a pretty tough conference and shot 39% from three in the 2019-2020 season. (Plus the top post in the 2021 class) I think UConn is going to be significantly better this year than last year. Cardoso brings an incremental difference to SCAR.

It's hard too see Cooke and Henderson as weaknesses. LeLe offers a difficult match up and Littleton is an excellent shooter and ball handler. I would expect Raven Johnson ( the nation's top point guard ) to see lots of playing time.

Those 13 pages are on the main Uconn board and most of the discussion in that thread is by Uconn fans. Bitter much?

It's hard too see Cooke and Henderson as weaknesses. LeLe offers a difficult match up and Littleton is an excellent shooter and ball handler. I would expect Raven Johnson ( the nation's top point guard ) to see lots of playing time.
Raven may be the key. She certainly has the skill set to raise the bar for the back court. SCAR is definitely a top 5 team and will face only a bump or 2 on the way to the tournament. Your descriptions and appreciations of your players are all very appropriate for SEC play.

Those 13 pages are on the main Uconn board and most of the discussion in that thread is by Uconn fans. Bitter much?
Most of the discussion I've read is explaining to the over the top fans that the road is long and bumpy to the hallowed ground and once again they are a bit premature in declaring themselves the best team in the country. The thought that adding a second string center is the missing piece to bring SCAR tournament glory is a bit of a reach, don't you think. Now if you added a top point guard or a terrific wing that would be significant.

Zzzzzzzzzzz..............Yawn. Yep, he’s still here. Hating on Kellie is his passion. He does remember we beat the clucks this year right? Kellie must have turned him down for prom.

;o)

It's not the ingredients anyway,,,it's all about the "chef"

Boston is a way more versatile player than Key. She has range all the way to the 3 point line and a consistent mid-range jumper. She can move to the 4 while Cardosa plays the 5. The same cannot be said for Key.

All I know is back in the day, Wilson and Coates were OK. When Coates was hurt, the SC offense changed and made them the championship team they were that year. Boston and Cardoso together. Stay tuned , film at 11.

What you said about raven is part of your problem. You view everything through rose colored glasses. Raven is not the nations top point guard. She was the highest ranked high school senior point guard by Premier Basketball. Blue Star and Prospect Nation have her ranked behind Olivia Miles and Rory Harmon; All Star Girls Review have her ranked just ahead of Miles and Harmon. So she may not be as spectacular as you think. On Prospects Nation she is ranked #13 (behind all 4 UConn recruits) while Miles is #4 and Harmon is #9. On Blue Star Miles is #2 and Harmon is #12, Raven is #16.

I guess by now you get a little better picture of where your 'top point guard in the nation' ranks. Don't blame me you brought it up.

And yes you are right, Raven will see plenty of time (after January) because she is better than what you have now.

Reactions: olddog
Most of the discussion I've read is explaining to the over the top fans that the road is long and bumpy to the hallowed ground and once again they are a bit premature in declaring themselves the best team in the country. The thought that adding a second string center is the missing piece to bring SCAR tournament glory is a bit of a reach, don't you think. Now if you added a top point guard or a terrific wing that would be significant.

You Boneyarders should be ashamed of yourselves wasting a total of 30 pages on a second string center.

Reactions: NeedOrange
What you said about raven is part of your problem. You view everything through rose colored glasses. Raven is not the nations top point guard. She was the highest ranked high school senior point guard by Premier Basketball. Blue Star and Prospect Nation have her ranked behind Olivia Miles and Rory Harmon; All Star Girls Review have her ranked just ahead of Miles and Harmon. So she may not be as spectacular as you think. On Prospects Nation she is ranked #13 (behind all 4 UConn recruits) while Miles is #4 and Harmon is #9. On Blue Star Miles is #2 and Harmon is #12, Raven is #16.

I guess by now you get a little better picture of where your 'top point guard in the nation' ranks. Don't blame me you brought it up.

And yes you are right, Raven will see plenty of time (after January) because she is better than what you have now.

Fudd is rated #1 guard while Johnson is #1 point guard. Johnson was also the Naismith POTY. The glasses aren't rose they're garnet.

2021 HoopGurlz Recruiting Rankings - espnW 100 - ESPN

Reactions: SCspur

PLEASE MISS ME WITH THE BS!!! Raven is better than Miles and Harmon and I’m ready to bet my salary on that! Damn near had a quadruple double on ESPN against one of the best HS teams in the country then followed that game with a near triple double in the championship game against a national powerhouse and led her team to a Geico National Championship & 4 state titles and a 111-0 Georgia 7&6A record!! She’s a story that should’ve been talked about just as much as Azzi Fudd but since she isn’t going to UConn basketball fans won’t get to know that. Anyways we love the energy UConn fans are bringing,Can’t wait until we play UConn in Columbia;)

PLEASE MISS ME WITH THE BS!!! Raven is better than Miles and Harmon and I’m ready to bet my salary on that! Damn near had a quadruple double on ESPN against one of the best HS teams in the country then followed that game with a near triple double in the championship game against a national powerhouse and led her team to a Geico National Championship & 4 state titles and a 111-0 Georgia 7&6A record!! She’s a story that should’ve been talked about just as much as Azzi Fudd but since she isn’t going to UConn basketball fans won’t get to know that. Anyways we love the energy UConn fans are bringing,Can’t wait until we play UConn in Columbia;)
Fudd got a lot more press than Raven before anyone knew where she would choose to go to college. That statement is not true. Miles and Rivers are not going to UConn and they got talked about. However, I saw Raven play in those games you mentioned and I believe she will be a super guard at SC. She should not be underestimated and yes, she should have been talked about more.

Reactions: shiverz and SCspur
Fudd is rated #1 guard while Johnson is #1 point guard. Johnson was also the Naismith POTY. The glasses aren't rose they're garnet.

2021 HoopGurlz Recruiting Rankings - espnW 100 - ESPN
No one mentioned Fudd. Fudd is primarily a 2 guard although she has a good handle.

I was comparing Raven to the other top point guards. But I guess you weren't aware of that.

Also no need to be redundant listing hoopgurlz as if that contradicts what I said. I just used the real name of the rating service that ESPN uses to post hoopgurlz. They are Premier Basketball if you will reread my post. But I guess you weren't aware of that either.

whenever uconn and south Carolina fans are at each others necks its always fun 🤣

touchy are we. I'm going to try to get to Columbia for that game If I can let's try to shake hands or we could place a small wager on the outcome (not a salary maybe something like a cold drink). I do think your team will have the edge so your going to have to give me some points. It's a tough place for visitors to play and only 3 of our kids have ever experienced anything like what they will face then. Last year Tennessee only had a smidgen of fans and our kids were shell shocked at first. I can't imagine what a full arena of rabid fans and UConn haters will do to them.

BTW, I'm not dissing Raven because she is good, real good. I just replied to @Poultrygeist comment about the 'top point guard in the nation' with a few facts. And I spent most of the post not talking about UConn but about players going to Notre Dame and Texas. It's you folks who are always obsessing about UConn.

One thing is, don't you think you are expecting a little bit much from a freshman. She will be your most skilled guard, but point guard in D1 is and incredibly difficult position. Wings and Posts have it easy. But to command the team, execute the game plan and know the idiosyncrasies of your teammates is an awful lot in the first year. Our last two point guards took two years to learn how to do it and they weren't chopped liver as players.

There's a reason that she is not talked about like Fudd? Fudd is unique and there are two other point guards that several experts like as well as Raven.

I would like people to talk a little more about Caroline Ducharme. Did you know she just won the 3 point shooting contest and the one-on-one contest at the SLAM summer classic. Then she beat the boy's 3 point champion. BTW she's a 6'4" wing

You Boneyarders should be ashamed of yourselves wasting a total of 30 pages on a second string center.
What can I say, we love WCBB basketball and when there's nothing much to talk about we dredge up any useless topic. Let's face it, since Shea has gone silent (She did offer Ashlynn shade) all we've had to talk about is that an SEC bottom feeder program hired a coach and SCAR got a second string center. You should see the posts when Tennessee or Notre Dame do something. Two more weeks we'll be getting clips of pick up games and stuff like Paige's Dance a thons and see what Evina's cooking up for the team. By then we won't hardly mention the you folks. ;)

Reactions: mcannon1
What can I say, we love WCBB basketball and when there's nothing much to talk about we dredge up any useless topic. Let's face it, since Shea has gone silent (She did offer Ashlynn shade) all we've had to talk about is that an SEC bottom feeder program hired a coach and SCAR got a second string center. You should see the posts when Tennessee or Notre Dame do something. Two more weeks we'll be getting clips of pick up games and stuff like Paige's Dance a thons and see what Evina's cooking up for the team. By then we won't hardly mention the you folks. ;)

I see that your good at giving backhand compliments. You will give a compliment and throw in a little passive aggressive insult or remark after it. :rolleyes:

VN Store

Back