Non-Lady Vol Basketball News 2023-24

Let's be honest. Every other team in the SEC this year will be vying for second place. The only question is whether SC will go undefeated.

Let's be honest. Every other team in the SEC this year will be vying for second place. The only question is whether SC will go undefeated.
I think every team in the SEC was vying for 2nd place even before they got Cardosa. Her signing probably means every team in the country is vying for 2nd place now.

I didn't mean that as a slight to Tamari. I think that her skillset does not lend itself well to a double post, if the other player can't stretch the defense on offense and is not mobile enough to guard the perimeter on defense. We saw a bit of that with Kushkituah where they clogged the lane. SC had the same problem last year because they had 2 posts with Boston who could really only play right under the basket. So you had Boston sucking up a double team, but kicking it out to Saxton/Amihere doesn't do much since they couldn't hit mid range jumpers. Then you can't really switch Boston to the high post because neither of them necessarily needed a double team to defend them. Teams will need to defend Cardosa with a double team AND they'll need to defend Boston with a double team.
Man, you really know your basketball.

giphy.gif

Last edited:
I think every team in the SEC was vying for 2nd place even before they got Cardosa. Her signing probably means every team in the country is vying for 2nd place now.

Now South Carolina easily has the best frontcourt in the country, while UConn easily has the best backcourt. It's still a guards' game and Geno is the better coach so I would give the slight edge to UConn, but should be a helluva game...

I didn't mean that as a slight to Tamari. I think that her skillset does not lend itself well to a double post, if the other player can't stretch the defense on offense and is not mobile enough to guard the perimeter on defense. We saw a bit of that with Kushkituah where they clogged the lane. SC had the same problem last year because they had 2 posts with Boston who could really only play right under the basket. So you had Boston sucking up a double team, but kicking it out to Saxton/Amihere doesn't do much since they couldn't hit mid range jumpers. Then you can't really switch Boston to the high post because neither of them necessarily needed a double team to defend them. Teams will need to defend Cardosa with a double team AND they'll need to defend Boston with a double team.

I was surprised with Amihere's sophomore season. It was strange on a few levels. Overall, I felt she had improved noticeably from her freshman season, especially late in the season and post-season. She was more confident in her drives to the basket and post moves, after the serious injuries she dealt with to her knee in high school.

But as a freshman, she had to wear a gawky knee brace, and looked hesitant and unsure in the paint. As a result, she opted to take a number of perimeter field goals, especially outside of the arc. She was 7-13 (.538) from the 3-pt line, and so I was excited to see her game flourish with her knee fully healed, because I knew of her drives and moves and dunks at the basket, but never knew about her perimeter shooting. She seemed like a longer, more athletic Kiki Herbert-Harrigan in the making.

But then she goes 0-10 from the 3-pt line this past season. So I don't know how to take her two seasons thus far from the perimeter, or what to expect from her from that area next season.....

Kellie realizes the goal is trying to catch South Carolina right? While she's stuck in neutral, Dawn just keeps widening that gap...
Zzzzzzzzzzz..............Yawn. Yep, he’s still here. Hating on Kellie is his passion. He does remember we beat the clucks this year right? Kellie must have turned him down for prom.

Lele was unwise to come back if she was expecting to play as much as she did last year. SC only really went about 8 deep last season. They can legitimately go 13 deep and can probably do combinations where there will be minimal drop off between the first and second teams.

The portal is making WBB feel a lot like the NBA with these superteams. Talentwise, SC and UConn are in a class of their own.
don’t forget about Duke!! Kara Lawson’s squad is going to make some real noise next season. Hopefully they will be able to play in front of a good sized fan base. I love Kelli as a coach but man it would have been nice to have both Kara and Kelli! Yikes we would have had a powerhouse year 1

Reactions: stlvolsfan
Can you post a link where she said anything remotely like this? I won’t hold my breath.
I don't have to post anything for you find it yourself or shut up. We were not in any list of schools ever for her. Please hold your breath so we want have to see you here anymore.

Reactions: Texas
13 pages on Boneyard discussing this transfer. Many think it won't make much of a difference but 13 pages and counting speaks volumes.

Looking forward to our Feb. clash with UConn before a full house in Columbia.

Last edited:
Reactions: mcannon1
Can you post a link where she said anything remotely like this? I won’t hold my breath.

I keep up pretty good with recruiting! Which is my main focus since not playing or coaching any more . Coach Hunt ( who posts here on this forum ) might be able to answer any questions about Kamilla’s recruiting! But GOOD LUCK getting any comments about her players recruiting? When we got Jasmine to commit .... Kamilla and Treasure we still Sophomores I think . It was rumored that Holly and coach Hunt were friendly? I cannot confirm this but the people that I listened to personally were telling me Kamilla was not considering UT ! And I will not divulge any names or years when I heard this ! Anyone has the right to believe or deny this premise!

Now South Carolina easily has the best frontcourt in the country, while UConn easily has the best backcourt. It's still a guards' game and Geno is the better coach so I would give the slight edge to UConn, but should be a helluva game...

I agree that it will the battle of SC's frontcourt vs. UConn's backcourt. If Dawn is able to get Cardosa and Boston to co-exist on the court at the same time, that will be a nightmare matchup. Where I give the edge to SC is that I think it will harder for UConn to defend the twin towers than for SC to defend The Bueckers and Fudd Show. This is the kind of matchup that shuts down Williams because she's not a good enough outside shooter and she likes to take it to the basket. Cardosa/Boston will take that option away from her, and UConn will live/die by their star guards ability to hit tightly contested jump shots from 15 feet out on a regular basis. I think the on-the-court mismatches will outweigh Geno's advantage over Dawn in coaching x's and o's.

Both teams will be loaded for the next few years, but SC has the potential to be overwhelmingly dominant for the next two seasons.

13 pages on Boneyard discussing this transfer. Many think it won't make much of a difference but 13 pages and counting speaks volumes.

Looking forward to our Feb. game with UConn before a full house in Columbia.

They're funny. It's like they are lying in bed saying to themselves over and over , "She's not that good...she's not that good..." to help them sleep. They seem to be missing the fact that it's not that she's the second coming of Brittney Griner as much as how she can eliminate a lot of the deficiencies that SC had on their current roster. If the Henderson/Johnson combination can run the point effectively, then they have the potential to be better than even the best Breanna Stewart UConn team.

Reactions: Poultrygeist
They're funny. It's like they are lying in bed saying to themselves over and over , "She's not that good...she's not that good..." to help them sleep. They seem to be missing the fact that it's not that she's the second coming of Brittney Griner as much as how she can eliminate a lot of the deficiencies that SC had on their current roster. If the Henderson/Johnson combination can run the point effectively, then they have the potential to be better than even the best Breanna Stewart UConn team.

UConn fans really wanted Cardosa but since she cast her lot with USC she's suddenly less talented.

You may be overreacting to what Cardoso can bring to the table. She brings rebounding and shot blocking. SCAR was one of the top teams in rebounding and blocked shots before Cardoso arrives. SCAR's weakness is guard play not post performance. SCAR would have been better of in getting Jordan Lewis to have transferred in than Cardaso. Lewis strengthens a weakness, Cardaso adds to a strength.

UConn's weakness was post play. Geno got a B1G all conference post who averaged 12 and 9 in a pretty tough conference and shot 39% from three in the 2019-2020 season. (Plus the top post in the 2021 class) I think UConn is going to be significantly better this year than last year. Cardoso brings an incremental difference to SCAR.

UConn fans really wanted Cardosa but since she cast her lot with USC she's suddenly less talented.
Actually in the boneyard poll on whether to add Cardoso or not (it was 66% yes to add) I voted no. I thought she was a bad fit and that Geno had already got the right post to strengthen the post deficiencies.

VN Store

Back