Aviation Discussion

He said it was from this morning, but maybe he had it wrong. He’s an ancient SAIC guy.
Probably just a normal push then. That NE corner gets pretty busy at times. Lately it’s just all SWA though. I did see we were only around 20% less volume than this time last year though, so it is starting to pick up some.

Probably just a normal push then. That NE corner gets pretty busy at times. Lately it’s just all SWA though. I did see we were only around 20% less volume than this time last year though, so it is starting to pick up some.
Still no D sides being used at ZID

We had a R school that was in progress pre-Covid start back. D-sides who had sectors already have been training. Anybody with no d-sides is still sitting at home.

They allowed Ds with sectors to recert then sent everyone back home. I may go back when the entire building is vaccinated.

Looking for the best air charter company out of Knoxville. Turboprop is fine because it would be mostly to NC and SC for 1-4 people. Any advice appreciated.

Looking for the best air charter company out of Knoxville. Turboprop is fine because it would be mostly to NC and SC for 1-4 people. Any advice appreciated.

https://www.charterhub.com/listings...498&Longitude=-83.8736111&Latitude=35.9636111

While not a turboprop, the C340 and Baron listed in the link would accomplish the mission at a reasonable price.

Nashville has plenty of options, but you’d probably have to pay for the empty ferry to TYS.

I know of a King Air 200 that’s based out of KCPF. I think a BE20 goes for roughly 16-1700/hr.

Planesense is a charter company that operates PC-12’s. I saw them come through quite a bit when I was working at KTRI. That’s a reasonable cost per hour as well.

Reactions: windrider
https://www.charterhub.com/listings...498&Longitude=-83.8736111&Latitude=35.9636111

While not a turboprop, the C340 and Baron listed in the link would accomplish the mission at a reasonable price.

Nashville has plenty of options, but you’d probably have to pay for the empty ferry to TYS.

I know of a King Air 200 that’s based out of KCPF. I think a BE20 goes for roughly 16-1700/hr.

Planesense is a charter company that operates PC-12’s. I saw them come through quite a bit when I was working at KTRI. That’s a reasonable cost per hour as well.
Thanks for the info. I have trips to Greenville, Columbia, Hilton Head and Wilmington areas. Preferred airline is Delta but flight schedules have been reduced so much it’s becoming more inconvenient to fly commercial. Don’t mind paying more for convenience but not wanting to drop $5k a trip either.

Thanks for the info. I have trips to Greenville, Columbia, Hilton Head and Wilmington areas. Preferred airline is Delta but flight schedules have been reduced so much it’s becoming more inconvenient to fly commercial. Don’t mind paying more for convenience but not wanting to drop $5k a trip either.

If it’s just 1-2 pax, something like a SR22 would get it done for $500-600 an hour I bet.

Your group should split the cost of a plane and one of you get your license!

If it’s just 1-2 pax, something like a SR22 would get it done for $500-600 an hour I bet.

Your group should split the cost of a plane and one of you get your license!
I’ve thought about a license but it’s borderline if I would use it enough. You know anywhere that uses the SR22?

Today, I am sad. Would love to buy one of these as they are sold off.

Attachments

• F74728E5-2DB8-4024-BA23-8F95EFB9665C.png
    F74728E5-2DB8-4024-BA23-8F95EFB9665C.png
    705.2 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Reactions: ATC_VOL
This is the one I want, for obvious reasons.

Attachments

• AD0AB866-B4C3-48D5-AEFC-705E00EC90E4.jpeg
    AD0AB866-B4C3-48D5-AEFC-705E00EC90E4.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 8
A couple of TH-67 stories.

One day during the instrument phase, we filed for 7000 ft. It took forever to get up there and you wouldn’t believe how cold it was. The helicopter had so many holes that as you flew through a cloud, you could literally see the wisps inside.

During Basic Warfighter Skills phase, we practiced a lot of NOE and confined area operations, along with tactical navigation. One of the tasks was slope landings and takeoffs. The bell 206 had a notoriously weak tail rotor so you were constantly dancing on the pedals to keep that nose straight. Early on, I keep letting the nose slide out to the right so my instructor made me go to the gym and practice just left leg presses. Had to take a picture for proof.

Those things could take an absolute beating. We did hundreds of run on landing and full down auto rotations and every time it was ready for another lap around the pattern and I can assure you I thumped my fair share. The plastic pig they’re transitioning to is a disservice to students learning to fly. I count myself among the lucky few to have gotten the TH-67 the last few years. It was by far the most I’ve been been challenged and, especially early on, really loved to serve up some humble pie.

We spent the first four, maybe six weeks of instruments in the sim developing the scan between gauges and learning to fly approaches. The first day back in the helicopter ended up being a real deal, no **** IMC day. First approach I ever flew was the ILS into KDHN. We get switched over to tower and they ask us if we want to continue inbound because they have a cell sitting right over the field. My IP packs a fat dip, pulls his gloves tight and says affirmative. The helicopter is rattling and you wouldn’t believe the noise heavy rain generated inside that cockpit. I rode the glideslope all the way down to minimums, went missed approach and handed over the controls so I could peel the cushion from between my asscheeks.

If I remember correctly, we soloed around 20 hours. Flying was still kicking my butt. I could generally hover, but far from precise at that point. Traffic patterns and approaches were decent enough, but landing was giving me some trouble. Just anticipating how much right pedal to put in as you lower the collective really. To make matters worse, my whole family was passing through because the next day we were all vacationing in port st Joe through weekend of July 4th. My dad is a high time airplane and helicopter guy, so him being able to watch my first ever solo was pretty special, even though it kicked up the pressure on me x10.

Just plugging away at work everyday. Traffic has really picked up lately. OT shifts starting to come back and our d-side trainees are starting to trickle in now too.

I’m not sure what’s up with our facility. I eventually just got tired of waiting and went on active orders doing COVID mission stuff.

VN Store

Back