Recruiting Forum Football Talk III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Schiano would have been a way better football choice than Pruitt. Hands down. I'll never understand how some people justified a first time ever head coach at Tennessee. We play Bama UF UGA every year. There is no way you can learn on the job in that situation.

I just didn't want a scummy guy heading the program, so I'd still have chosen Pruitt over Schiano.

The only problem with that is that Georgia, Oklahoma, Clemson, and Ohio State all hired first time head coaches. Maybe different circumstances, but guys can figure it out.

Harrison Bailey. Truly hope they find a qb who can run this offense, guess the Jim's are used to getting kicked at this point.
I think if none of the qbs improve, Hooker can run the offense at a competent level. Have questions about his accuracy, but did have some good throws to the flat.

They still have half of spring, the summer, and fall camp to improve so I'm not worried yet.

Sounds like we have a new JG in Hooker.

Ap says Hooker will be the starter. Says he made the least amount of mistakes; threw no interceptions. But also continues and says he never attempted to push the ball down the field either and had zero touchdowns.

Maurer is electric. Moves with confidence and throws a good ball needs to work on the interceptions but it's a scrimmage.

Bailey seems to be running 3rd but who knows threw one interception, off a tipped ball, but also tried to push the ball.

The coaches expect mistakes and at this point they want to see you make those mistakes.

Hubbs said the D line played poorly, disagree with that. Omari Thomas blew up a guard and got a sack. Emerson got a sack as well coming off the end. They did give up some runs in the red zone period, but I thought they played much better later in practice with a wide open field.

I also think that the OL may be a pretty good unit, got some nice experience and talent there.

Edit: It was Dominic Bailey who I was thinking of, not Thomas

Last edited:
We do have some quality DL but I just do t see a game changer yet on that group. I think we will once again struggle to generate a pass rush. This will put more pressure on the secondary to hold up. Our LB core wasn’t good last year. Now it’s inexperienced. And our coordinator hasn’t called plays in a bit. I am more than a little concerned about that side of the ball. If Garner can get a pass rush going though then that could be all we need to get the D turned around. He was a big hire. But still a tough task

Oh ye of little faith... Coach Garner will have the DL working like a well oiled machine by the first snap this Fall. If they work well as a team, then a star doesn’t have to be there.

On the other hand, this group and the LBs haven’t been coached for over a freaking year.
There may be stars that are found by actual coaches.

I choose to believe in these coaches because of their coaching skills that were evident in their last jobs. I am excited to see a defense coached up.

Ap says Hooker will be the starter. Says he made the least amount of mistakes; threw no interceptions. But also continues and says he never attempted to push the ball down the field either and had zero touchdowns.

Maurer is electric. Moves with confidence and throws a good ball needs to work on the interceptions but it's a scrimmage.

Bailey seems to be running 3rd but who knows threw one interception, off a tipped ball, but also tried to push the ball.

The coaches expect mistakes and at this point they want to see you make those mistakes.
If hooker is not willing to push the ball then he won’t be our QB..... this offense requires a QB that will push the ball down the field.

A new JG? How many pick 6s?

Reactions: volsfan_17
Hubbs said the D line played poorly, disagree with that. Omari Thomas blew up a guard and got a sack. Emerson got a sack as well coming off the end. They did give up some runs in the red zone period, but I thought they played much better later in practice with a wide open field.

I also think that the OL may be a pretty good unit, got some nice experience and talent there.

They are the so-called "media". Self important, snap judgement, etc. The one that looks like death warmed over thinks the DL is bad. He has no idea what he's looking at. They would be better served repeating gossip about recruits.

To your point:

ESPN has us ranked 117 for returning production, 103 on offense, and 107 on defense. It may be interesting to focus on what is driving those rankings.

On offense we return 28% of our passing yards, 46% of our receiving yards, and 14% of our rushing yards.

On defense we return 81% of our secondary production, 94% of our defensive line production, and 27% of our linebacker production.

We return 51% of our wide receiver yards, 100% of our TE receiving yards, and 6% of our running back receiving yards.

edit to add - Just a reminder that the DL this year has a different job than it had in Pruitt's defense. In Pruitt's defense the DL was supposed to keep the blockers off of the linebackers. In Bank's defense the DL will be attackers.. Their production with the change in mission will likely DOUBLE what they had with Pruitt and the production of the linebackers will come close to being cut in half. We are loaded on the DL at every position and in some spots we go 3-deep and with the best coach on the staff. We're going to have an awesome defense. jmo.

I think that the whole defense will be better than last year cause they won’t have to be doing bama based calculus to figure out what they are supposed to be doing.

(FYI, bama calculus is a creature that doesn’t exist, but our previous HC thought that he was so brilliant...at his previous stops, the talent made him look better than he evidently was)

They still have half of spring, the summer, and fall camp to improve so I'm not worried yet.

I've been surprised to see some of your fans discounting Harrison Bailey at this point. He's practically getting his first real exposure to a college training camp atmosphere. No spring or summer workouts in 2020, and it sounded like he missed a lot of fall camp too. Even though he got some meaningful game reps later in the season, practice during the season is more of a week to week cram session than an intensive teaching experience. Watching Bailey in the Florida and TAMU games, you could tell he was still green. Things were moving too fast for him when his first receiver wasn't open.

Our secondary is weak and our dline has no pass rushers.. we need help all over the defense

All that you need to know about this post is that it was liked by Catbone and Kingston...

That actually means that our DL will lead the SEC for sacks and our secondary will lead in interceptions and passes decended.

I feel much better now. Thanks to Catbone and Kingston 😂

I've been surprised to see some of your fans discounting Harrison Bailey at this point. He's practically getting his first real exposure to a college training camp atmosphere. No spring or summer workouts in 2020, and it sounded like he missed a lot of fall camp too. Even though he got some meaningful game reps later in the season, practice during the season is more of a week to week cram session than an intensive teaching experience. Watching Bailey in the Florida and TAMU games, you could tell he was still green. Things were moving too fast for him when his first receiver wasn't open.
Good points, he definitely did look raw today as well. Threw it right at a LB on one rep. Think you're correct on experience, hopefully when he gets more comfortable some of his physical tools will shine.

All that you need to know about this post is that it was liked by Catbone and Kingston...

That actually means that our DL will lead the SEC for sacks and our secondary will lead in interceptions and passes decended.

I feel much better now. Thanks to Catbone and Kingston 😂

Seems to be a focus for the DL. Most of their drills were based on rushing the passer. I expect us to lose the time of possession battle, but I think we can roll a lot of bodies out there on the DL and at Buck. If our offense can score, there will be a lot of opportunities.

I'm forced to agree.

Reactions: mikemist
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back